Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: sudden engine cutoff | need advice

apriliaforum newb

Question sudden engine cutoff | need advice

Hi folks,

last Saturday I had a 200 km run with my 2002 Futura. After about 60 km I experienced the first sudden engine cutoff while driving with 'low' rpm (3500). I pulled over and was able to turn it on pressing the starter button.
    I did not mind much about this happening in that moment. After starting I rode another 100 meters -> off again. Same game..started up and was running. It happened to me kinda random. Unfortunatly about 25-35 times for the rest of the run (poor batterie & starter).

Sometimes the EFI-LED was turning on and off shortly. Sometimes not.

The engine cutoff appeared in different situations and rpms. While the Futura was running, there was no lack of performance. Not even a lack of performance while fireing her up at the Autobahn to test when it may happen. But the engine cutoff anyway.
    Partly it felt to me that the engine 'died' mostly while constant load or shifting up/down or releasing the throttle. Same I was able to turn the bike on with the starter while I was still rolling with hands on clutch e.g. in 2nd or 3rd gear.

What I have done so far at this bike(according to electric):
    + regulator/recifier fix - running well since june ~ about 9000 km
    + send my speedo to tachopix for fixing the speedo

Did someone already seen this kind of behavior of the bike or even fixed it?

My thoughts about catching the issue:
    + side-stand sensor could be broken (but did not show up a light)
    + check/replacing the injection-relay
    + oil pressure switch (but did not show up a light)
    + tilt sensor

Additionally I do not know the normal behavior of the tilt sensor if its beeing triggered.

Hope you guys having any kind of advice for me.

Greetings!

Probably the sidestand switch.
    Second choice the fuel pump harness.
    2001 RST Futura in stream Silver.
    Mods: Modified Öhlins fork from mille R, EBC 320mm brake discs, HEL front brakelines, Carbon RS 250 front fender, Wiring mod for charging. Engine related:05 map, Iridium plugs, tuneboy, derestriced intake, old mille airboot, staintunes exhaust. Lambda bung hardbrazed in the "breadbox". Öhlins mille R rear shock with 110N/mm spring and the integrated hydraulic preload adjuster. LED Voltmeter installed inside the dash for monitoring charging. Duc 999 radial m/c for brake and clutch.
    NWS hugger. Equipment: Famsa tankbag,
    CBR 600 -07 MOSFET R&R FH008EE providing stable 14.4 - 14.5 V (with my wiring mod). Daytona heated grips with mccoi pwm controller and automatic chain oiler

You can bypass that side stand switch such that it'll light up the indicator, but not kill the motor when you put it in gear w/o the clutch. That description (kzmille) can be found here https://www.apriliaforum.com/forums/...ng-device-quot Aprilia even sells a plug you so you can eliminate the switch altogether - race only of course, lol.

You may find that hosing the switch down with contact cleaner and working the stand might fix it for a while.

Sometimes just wiggling the wires going to the fuel pump will cause the pump or the fuel gauge or both to disfunction - Lift the tank, fire it up and move the harness - if it stalls, well, you know.

So far I have had intermittent breakdown caused by:

Fuel pump relay

Clutch lever wiring shorting out where it's cable tied to the fairing subframe in front of the headstock.

Red/white junction at bottom of V on the right.

Total breakdown-ie unable to restart:

Tilt switch

Red /white breakage in loom at top of right hand fairing

Reg/rec failure

Out of petrol.
    Last edited by flying fox; 10-22-2018 at 01:13 PM.
    04 Silver,FPR Mod,Derestrict Airbox,Mille Boot,Reg/Rec Mod.,05 Map,Heated Grips,Smoked Screen,Beftura Forks,Scottoiler,Stone Chips,Scratches...

The Art of Bodge-It Never Fails.

apriliaforum newb
    Start with the simplest first.

I had the same issues

kick stand switch is notorious for failing. Grease/dirt/ etc

apriliaforum newb
    Hi,

thanks for your responses :-).

I already ordered a bunch of the mentioned relays and try to figure the issue out comming Sat.
    I'll keep you updated here.

Greetings
    DR

apriliaforum newb
    Hi Folks,

it has been awhile.. I was changing the mentioned relays on my last allowed season-ride ('I tried to ride..')
    At least I know, that they are okay. I'll have a closer look at the fuel-pump and the electric wireing while getting the bike ready for next season starting on 01.03.2019.

I keep you updated.

Greetings
    DR

Quote Originally Posted by DR_ View Post
    Hi Folks,

it has been awhile.. I was changing the mentioned relays on my last allowed season-ride ('I tried to ride..')
    At least I know, that they are okay. I'll have a closer look at the fuel-pump and the electric wireing while getting the bike ready for next season starting on 01.03.2019.

I keep you updated.

Greetings
    DR
    good luck.

none of us will be surprised if you find the wires in the pump plate knackered, but that by itself would not kick up the EFI light.

I'm ready for spring. Bring it on.

apriliaforum newb
    Hi,

thanks! I really hope that the damage is kinda jumping right in my face as like uhmm.. :-D. Yep, it's slowly time for spring - already missing all these insekts crashing on my helmet (https://www.instagram.com/p/BqrVN0aAmFV/ ).

Greetings
    DR

apriliaforum newb
    I have recently posted up about this very same problem on the Facebook page, after it occurred on Boxing day on a couple of separate occasions... the only difference being that the two times it occurred for me were at the early stage of my ride out and the early stage of my ride back, and once sorted the issue also did not recur.. I thought it may be the sidestand switch and as yet haven't had a look at it, I will also have a quick look at the clutch switch as well.. but after reading this post I will be going through and checking all of your recommended causes..

apriliaforum newb
    after having a look see I discovered the clutch switch had separated into two pieces, the wired bit and the switch activation bit which is fixed to the master cylinder bracket. I was able to reassemble the switch and will see if the problem recurs. the sidestand switch does not seem to be in any state of disarray so I am hoping the clutch switch is the cause of my issue..

The clutch switch cannot cause this.
    It's purpose is to allow the engine to be cranked while in a gear.
    The sidestand switch will shut down engine if not in neutral.
    If problem persists in neutral, it cannot be the sidestand switch.
    Mods: Modified Öhlins fork from mille R, EBC 320mm brake discs, HEL front brakelines, Carbon RS 250 front fender, Wiring mod for charging. Engine related:05 map, Iridium plugs, tuneboy, derestriced intake, old mille airboot, staintunes exhaust. Lambda bung hardbrazed in the "breadbox". Öhlins mille R rear shock with 110N/mm spring and the integrated hydraulic preload adjuster. LED Voltmeter installed inside the dash for monitoring charging. Duc 999 radial m/c for brake and clutch.
    CBR 600 -07 MOSFET R&R FH008EE providing stable 14.4 - 14.5 V (with my wiring mod). Daytona heated grips with mccoi pwm controller and automatic chain oiler

apriliaforum newb
    Hey deefred, my problem occurred while in gear and at speed so that would point to the side stand switch by your reasoning would it not??

Yes it does. Can be other things but that switch is on top of the list.

Iirc, the dash will read OFF if you put it in gear with the stand down - this will still happen with the clutch lever pulled.

Other thing that could cause this is a tip-over sensor that's going bad.

Somewhere in Af1's store is a plug to bypass that side stand switch if you don't want to do the soldering in that procedure.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast