Thread: DD1200 engine reliability?

apriliaforum newb

DD1200 engine reliability?

Hey guys, Haven't been active on this forum in ages. The last few years has been awesome with my garage packed with apes. Originally I had a 09 shiver which I put nearly 100K miles on, as my main commuter for nearly 4 years. I started picking up older rotax models. A couple of early falcos, Tuonos and RSVs. Currently shed some bikes to make room for some more new bikes since the wife is now a rider! So apart from my track bikes I picked up a gen 2 Tuono to commute on when we moved to GA. But I've been itching for a DD1200. My shiver never needed a valve adjustment and my rotax bikes didn't either. But how reliable is the 1200? There isn't a single dealer in the state so I'm really trying to sort out whether or not this bike will hold up to the use and abuse I throw at them. My shiver never needed more than oil and tires and a couple exhaust gaskets. Thanks in advance!

-gecko

apriliaforum Member
    Hi. I think that most people find that their DD 1200's are very well built and low maintenance. Sometimes they take a minor amount of sorting of ECU program and some minor connective issues with loose wires by the fuse block, but otherwise very solid. I have 20,000km on mine now and it hasen't skipped a beat. I will need fork seals this winter and will check the valve clearances, but will be surprised if they are too far off. This engine makes so much torque that it rarely gets run that hard as half throttle and 5-6k rpm usually provide enough entertainment. I would imagine a DD1200 would be at least as reliable as your Shiver and possibly more. Cheers Tom

apriliaforum newb
    Hello

my my 11 Dorsoduro 1200 abs atc has 58k Km on its ODO. Over 1000km it uses only 50ml of the good motul 300v. The valves needed no adjustment until now.

Fuel consumption from 6.1(sight seeing) litres to 8.5(hooligan mode) per 100km. Mean value 7.3 litres.

The only issue it had (engine wise) was a worn out shift locking lever. I replaced it with a reworked part.

At 27k km the aluminium rear frame broke at a welding seam at a bolting point. Some others had the same problem. Fortunately we have a tig welder in our village who welded the frame for me.

I mostly ride in the italian/austrian alps.

apriliaforum newb
    Appreciate it Tom, ECU issues plagued my '12 RSV4, and I recently moved to a state with no Aprilia dealer so ECU issues scare me a bit. But I'm certain I can make it work if necessary. Thanks for the reply.

apriliaforum Member
    No problem and good luck with the DD1200. I have had a very good riding and owning experience with mine. Lack of local dealer should not be too much of a problem. There was an update of the ECU program but I think most bikes have had that done by now. A member called Gabro in Rome has done some reflashes that I understand are very good. Info on this site in earlier pages. Cheers Tom

apriliaforum newb
    Hey, mine is really loud on the valve side since new and at about 4K the front cylinder has developed a piston slap. It runs fine as far at hard acceleration but most areas of partial throttle its a night mare to ride, the on and off in high speed corner really test your will. This model appears to me to have a cooling issue that my DD750 doesn't, I can ride 3-4 mile @ 55 degrees and not be @ operating temp, the 750 is about 1.5 miles. The auto dealership that I work at has seen simarlar issue with v8 that scuff the one bank rear cylinders of there piston coating and then into the skirt causing the engines to raddle. I replace the thermostat at 800 miles hoping it would warm up quicker but no change, I tested the old stat prior to replacing it and realized that it was operating the same as the new one, so most of the 7K that I have riden it is with the bottom 4 inches of the radiator taped and 2 inches of the oil cooler. Its likely getting excessive cooling causing the piston to scuff, or if I'm wrong it was assembled with the wrong choice of 4-5 different clearence combinations of pistons and cylinder available as per the factoy service manual. The biggest kicker is that there are no dealerships that know what is going on with there own product, I've called the biggest and no known issues. I like the styling but looks only go so far, the manufacturer should take care of this, like the engines were I work are been replaced with no mileage limit. I would love to hear a logical response. Will it last 30-40K before coming apart?

apriliaforum Member
    Quote Originally Posted by SMV1200 View Post
    Hey, mine is really loud on the valve side since new and at about 4K the front cylinder has developed a piston slap. It runs fine as far at hard acceleration but most areas of partial throttle its a night mare to ride, the on and off in high speed corner really test your will. This model appears to me to have a cooling issue that my DD750 doesn't, I can ride 3-4 mile @ 55 degrees and not be @ operating temp, the 750 is about 1.5 miles. The auto dealership that I work at has seen simarlar issue with v8 that scuff the one bank rear cylinders of there piston coating and then into the skirt causing the engines to raddle. I replace the thermostat at 800 miles hoping it would warm up quicker but no change, I tested the old stat prior to replacing it and realized that it was operating the same as the new one, so most of the 7K that I have riden it is with the bottom 4 inches of the radiator taped and 2 inches of the oil cooler. Its likely getting excessive cooling causing the piston to scuff, or if I'm wrong it was assembled with the wrong choice of 4-5 different clearence combinations of pistons and cylinder available as per the factoy service manual. The biggest kicker is that there are no dealerships that know what is going on with there own product, I've called the biggest and no known issues. I like the styling but looks only go so far, the manufacturer should take care of this, like the engines were I work are been replaced with no mileage limit. I would love to hear a logical response. Will it last 30-40K before coming apart?
    Sorry to hear you are having such troubles. You may be reading too much into it as far as piston slap goes. It sounds like more of an engine management issue. Do you have the latest map loaded in it? Is it throwing any codes? I understand the the two Map sensors are a bit of a common fail item. They are a cheap fix. I have never heard of anyone having to tape off the rad. It would seem likely that perhaps your Air/fuel ratio is way off and perhaps running too rich. These run beautifully once sorted. As far as piston slap noise goes you may find that much of that goes away once it is running correctly. Unless it was trending worse and worse I would just run it. Good luck. Maybe talk to the guys at AF1, and also maybe Gabro for a reflash. Tom