Thread: Aprilla habana 125cc timing and belt change

apriliaforum newb

Aprilla habana 125cc timing and belt change

Hi Guys.

I am new to the forum so please forgive me if this is in the wrong place.
    I am currently restoring an Aprilla Habana Mojito 125cc. The problem i have is that i am changing the variator belt.
    I do not know if there is any timing involved? or just a straight swap?
    There are some indentations on one pulley (front) around six or seven, there are also around three on the rear pulley.
    I assume there must be some timing involved but how???

apriliaforum newb
    Hi guys, am a newbie so may have put this in wrong place.
    am trying to change the drive belt on my habana 125 retro, dont know if there is any timing involved? there is several punch holes on front pulley and a few on the rear, just dont know what is suposed to go where?
    Anyone help here??
    Thanks.

It should be a straight swap on your CVT belt. I'm not sure what the indentations are. A picture would be very helpful.
    Italian scoots owned: 2003 Scarabeo 150, 1998 Italjet Velocifero, 2009 Vespa GTS 250, 2012 Vespa S50, 2007 BV 250, 1977 150 Sprint Veloce (future project) and Vespa ET2 (future project)

apriliaforum newb
    ok thanks, the reason i ask is because you have to remove both pulleys, and was wondering if they had to go back on in a certain way.
    The valve timing should be all built into the head right?
    And pulley position should have nothing to do with the timing? that said i do wonder what the punch marks are for?
    thanks for the reply.

Nope the splines are so that the variator is driven by the engine and the clutch can spin the rear gears. It doesn't matter how they line up. The timing is driven by the timing chain between the timing gear and the cam shaft.
    Italian scoots owned: 2003 Scarabeo 150, 1998 Italjet Velocifero, 2009 Vespa GTS 250, 2012 Vespa S50, 2007 BV 250, 1977 150 Sprint Veloce (future project) and Vespa ET2 (future project)

apriliaforum newb
    Right i see, had a really good look at the compartment that houses the variator pulleys, as you say no marks for timing or anything else.
    So will stick it all back togeather and see how it goes, thanks for your help, two heads are better than one.

apriliaforum expert
    Just make sure you use a torque wrench and do it to spec.

Note that the bushing that is inside the moving sheave of the variator which slides on the boss is Boston Bronze which is permanently lubricated when the bushing is made however if you use a solvent cleaner on it you will remove the embedded lubricant which you can never fully replace afterwards.

Be sure to clean the shaft the clutch spins on and the put fresh grease on the needle bearing inside the clutch itself. This is a service that too many forget to do which can greatly reduce clutch life and cause the clutch shaft itself to become scored and require replacement.

Never reassemble the variator using an impact wrench. This is what is at the root of most people crossing up the splines on the variator and over-torquing the nut which elongates the threads.