Thread: Stock exhaust tone

apriliaforum newb

Question Stock exhaust tone

Not got an issue with mine as I like the way it sounds but from reading some posts on here my Capo might be set up differently to other Capos.

From what I gather, my stock exhaust should be quiet at low revs and growl angrily at higher revs?

Mine is the stock exhaust, the servo cables are connected and the servo motor seems to be doing something. When I turn on the ignition the motor whirrs away for a second or so and I can see the little wheel on the back of the exhaust rotating one way and then the other until it kind of sets itself in a specific position.
    When it fires up it sounds real nice & throaty and this stays nice & throaty no matter how I'm riding it. It's certainly not quiet when I'm pottering around at low speeds. Not hooligan loud, just throaty.

Is this how it's supposed to run at stock or do you think previous owner has tampered with it? (I bought it with 650 miles on it).

Like I say, not fussed either way as I like the throatiness of the exhaust tone, just interested that's all.
    Last edited by Fishpolice; 10-13-2018 at 01:36 PM.

G'day Fishy.......

Yours seems normal...... the throaty but subdued note was something we all liked a lot....... when you get up it (ie 8-9000rpm overtaking difficult drivers ) your Capo will be 'Bellowing' loudly to those following...... but you will not hear the music against the wind noise or rapid scenery change......

Maybe in a tunnel, or riding beside highway wall structures you might hear the sound but one day, you'll be on the side of the road like I was when my BMW mates holed a tyre ( nothing wrong with the Capo ) and a Caponord 1200 will flog past making a magnificient sound from it's oem muffler............ truly amazing...... if my BM mate hadn't told me and I hadn't heard it myself, I wouldn't have known either...

I think the side cases also mask the music- I used to raise the muffler up for extra ground clearance when not going touring with the cases on, and lower the muffler only when needed........ eventually I tried a suggestion from another forum member and drilled a third hole midway between the oem positions and found that allowed good sporty ground clearance and enough clearance for the side cases to go on......... but the steel is very tough to drill and it took a bit of effort..... (as a precaution I put some heat shield alloy tape on the RH side case but it probably wasn't required).

Fear not....... your Capo is behaving normally if it does that check whizz whirr thingy...... if it doesn't, that means the exup valve is stuck.

Have had some slow connections today..... came back to check I didn't lose my last post ()........ should add, capo12 on full noise sounds like no other bike! You gotta hear one being thrashed up and down a mountain road...... they are instantly recognizable from their T-rex bellowing howl ......... I've never heard one with an accessory muffler...... Capo12 is a rare beast on the road here in Aus.
    Last edited by BrisbaNord; 10-13-2018 at 11:16 PM.

apriliaforum newb
    Cheers BrisbaNord, that makes sense thanks for putting my mind at ease. Good to know mine is doing what it's supposed to do

apriliaforum expert coolonthecoast's Avatar
    I'd agree with Brisba's comments, my TP exhaust was still quite throaty at low revs for my taste. I did the Healtech thing and removed the servo (still with the standard can) and it was louder still at low revs, but the smoothness at low speeds was compromised and I ended up refitting the servo and taking the Healtech off again. Personal choice of course, but apart from the look of the can itself,. I thought the Capos exhaust sound was great. Digressing slightly, I now have a Tuono and the first thing many people tend to do with the V4's is junk the standard can and fit an Akra or similar. I find the standard can is more than adequate. My son has an MT09 Yamaha with a noisy Delcavic can and my Tuono is equally as loud as his bike.
    40 odd powered two wheelers over 40 odd years. Currently in the garage are a 2016 Tuono V1100RR and a '79 Honda CB550F

apriliaforum newb
    Unusual viewpoint on this forum maybe but I actually like the look of the Capo's standard can.

apriliaforum expert
    Quote Originally Posted by Fishpolice View Post
    Unusual viewpoint on this forum maybe but I actually like the look of the Capo's standard can.
    I've always liked the look of the std can more than the aftermarket offerings, they all look a bit old fashioned to me. Plus it's not like it doesn't sound good. The so-so black painted finish and weight of the std can are the minus points.

The stock can looks great to me. The valve (when working) does a really good job of passing noise regs and managing power delivery.

But you can't stop people with $$ in their pocket from trying to outdo factory engineers. And confirmation bias. Confirmation bias is worth a few extra HP alone.

for me-tooo too.......

The only reason I might have changed the muffler would have been to save some weight (I think the oem can weighs 10kg..... it was very heavy to lift when I was tinkering one day.....). I kept it clean and the paint looked as new after 40k kms...... but I don't have nasty salty snow roads to ride on