Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: Will there be a new Caponord?

Quote Originally Posted by BrisbaNord View Post
    ..RST,

We should have known from past model runs that an Aprilia would only have a 10yr production run (ETV Capo1000 lasted 10yrs,...
    Make that 7 years - only 5 of those 7 available in the US. What I think y'all should have learned from past model runs is no noticeable marketing (towards the public), piss poor after sales support, sparse dealer network, .... Why some of you continue to speculate on the appearance of yet another saleable, 2-up long distance bike from Aprilia confuses me. Would you really sign up for more of the same abuse I see you complaining of?

Stu O

Quote Originally Posted by Stu_O View Post
    Make that 7 years - only 5 of those 7 available in the US. What I think y'all should have learned from past model runs is no noticeable marketing (towards the public), piss poor after sales support, sparse dealer network, .... Why some of you continue to speculate on the appearance of yet another saleable, 2-up long distance bike from Aprilia confuses me. Would you really sign up for more of the same abuse I see you complaining of?

Stu O
    Hi Stu, I didn't........ I bought a KTM SD1290GT in 2017....... other forums have lost their 'pulse', unlike this group - always a spirited discussion from all over the world.......

You are correct, but it really did look like the leopard had changed it's spots way back in 2015 when I was looking for a replacement for my ageing Blackbird...... once bitten, twice shy eh (kept the CBR..... you know, always have a Jap bike if you own an Italian bike ...... haven't needed the back up bike with the Austrian brand......yet...... ).

Ps Coolonthecoast....... I'm spoilt by my brand new Hyundai Tucson..... base model but equipped better than my old Nissan U13 Ti spec - drives really well, no need to suit up before battle with the blind assholes we share our road system with....... but it's no performance bike .....

Hi Stu, I didn't........ I bought a KTM SD1290GT in 2017.......

You are correct, but it really did look like the leopard had changed it's spots way back in 2015 when I was looking for a replacement for my ageing Blackbird...... once bitten, twice shy.
    when I said "you," I was actually not referring to you personally, but to all the guys in this thread hoping for a new Capo replacement. Like you, I was ready to jump on a 2015 Travel Pack. But based on my personal ETV 1000 experience, and watching the crap that owners of other new Aprilia models have endured since then, I decided to not be an early adopter of the 1200 Capo. As I watched this forum for a year or so, it became clear to me that the 1200 Capo was just another bag of snakes I didn't need, and one that wouldn't last long. I'd bet there are still more new unsold units in warehouses and on showroom floors than have actually been sold. I gave up hope on Aprilia.

The ETV is my backup now. I bought a Triumph Tiger 800 about a year ago and have enjoyed more than 12,000 miles of trouble free riding - a mix of commuting and long 2-up trips.

apriliaforum Member
    when I said "you," I was actually not referring to you personally, but to all the guys in this thread hoping for a new Capo replacement. Like you, I was ready to jump on a 2015 Travel Pack. But based on my personal ETV 1000 experience, and watching the crap that owners of other new Aprilia models have endured since then, I decided to not be an early adopter of the 1200 Capo. As I watched this forum for a year or so, it became clear to me that the 1200 Capo was just another bag of snakes I didn't need, and one that wouldn't last long. I'd bet there are still more new unsold units in warehouses and on showroom floors than have actually been sold. I gave up hope on Aprilia.

The ETV is my backup now. I bought a Triumph Tiger 800 about a year ago and have enjoyed more than 12,000 miles of trouble free riding - a mix of commuting and long 2-up trips.
    I know I'm probably tempting fate here, but i've had more trouble with Triumphs and Hondas than I have with any of the Italian bikes I've owned.

That's out of a total of 2 x Aprilias, 1 x Guzzi, 1 x Ducati, 2 x Triumphs, 3 x Hondas.

Maybe we expect trouble with the Italians so we're always on edge, but when we get trouble with the others we just shrug and say it's bad luck. And don't get me started on BMWs. If there's going to be a breakdown on a group ride it's usually one of the BMWs.

I can't help myself thinking that in these digitally enhanced ages all the issues are overexposed simply by the fact that people affected by them are mostly the ones hanging out on various forums and groups looking for solutions. The (major?) rest of us are simply enjoying our bikes having minor or no issues at all and hence have no need to tell the world that our bikes are behaving simply as they should.
    Having said that, I personally don't percieve Aprilia as a bulletproof brand, but in all fairness, nor do I percieve any brand as such. All brands have issues, it's just the way how they handle them in front of their customers that makes a difference.

Sent from my MI 5 using Tapatalk

Well spoken (errr,.... written) DiAbLeRo................. and sooo true!

Cheers Stu-O...... didn't take it personally....... most were just having a discussion, knowing exactly what you wrote was true....... but the C12 was such a lovely thing....... (I still miss mine)........ but I don't miss the new Aus Importer's dealership & warranty/parts debacle. My current KTM/Duc/Suzuki etc dealer said he would still like to sell Aprilia's but not under the current importer's terms.

I had a good run with my TP, though it used oil (100cc/1000km) when no other bikes do, it was a love affair on wheels and I couldn't stop riding the thing (it was RED afterall ).

I also read the seemingly never ending litany of complaints on the forum from 2013-2014..... but I couldn't find anything as capable or nice as the Capo12 so I took a deep breath and bought one in 2015.

I didn't really need a reserve bike with the Italian, but my old BBird was rusted on (and I couldn't part with it for the peanuts offered as a trade-in as I knew how good it still was/is). I had almost 2yrs & 40k kms of enjoyment with the C1200TP...... but the stream of complaints from Europe/US was nerve wracking..... even though mine was fine.

I see the same stuff over on the KTM forum....... makes me wonder sometimes...... but I have a good dealership 20kms away and they look after me when I drop in for routine official maintenance...... (I change my own oils inbetween the scheduled services). Gotta laugh, the new car forums are the same too....

Hey, there's been a couple of replies to my posts on the other forum...... so there is a pulse on the Kato forum.......

from

apriliaforum expert
    If any vehicle goes wrong it can be frustrating, and for daily transport I would almost certainly choose a Japanese bike. But I stopped relying on a motorbike for essential transport long ago.

For several years I have taken a 'risk' on Italian bikes in return for the pleasure of owning something with real style and ability. So far that risk has been well worth it for me, I chose the MV Turismo over a very similar performing Tracer 900GT because the detail engineering and styling is in another league on the MV. Yes it cost more and no it probably won't be as reliable, but after so many bikes I want something special. That's what Aprilia do too, and if they launch a decent GT style bike I will be very tempted indeed, crap marketing, customer support and all.

apriliaforum expert dadsafrantic's Avatar

i'm thinking of either the 800 or the big explorer for the next bike. currently on the tp and a mana. i hope to get maybe another 2 years from one or both before i make the switch. i know they are both pretty much worthless as far as a trade in goes so i'll ride them to death.
    Dadsafrantic

2015 Red Caponord #64
    2008 Mana Grey #81, hyperpro springs and shock, gpr furuore, rigid lights, bark busters, kaoko throttle lock, puig touring screen

apriliaforum expert
    I'm hoping for the return of a big twin cylinder, but the V90 in its current form will not easily pass Euro 5, and only passed Euro 4 by putting 750 heads and cams on a 900.

One of the major design deficiencies, in respect of emissions, is the lack of air injection into the exhaust. This would require new cylinder heads.

The large bore and valves on all the V90s (the 750 is more oversquare than a Ducati 749; the 1200 modelled after Ducati's 1198 - so, sporting intent was clearly there) mean that valve overlap is a concern, so that only mild tunes are viable from an emissions standpoint once again. It has been stated by "insiders" that more raucous versions of the engines were tested.

The V90s are probably quite expensive to produce, so would only remain in relatively high-cost vehicles if Piaggio allowed a redesign. I think they made a mistake when they only made the Dorso a 1200 before the Capo; they must have seen that, of the 750s, the Dorso sold best, and thought that would be the same for the 1200s. A lot of people buying the 750 Dorso thought they were getting a maxi-motard, and the 1200 was just a little bit off the scale in that respect. If they'd have taken a risk on a Shiver 1200 as well, they'd have shifted more units, I bet, and the engine(s) might have been more likely to continue (with developments).

They'd do a lot better overall if they'd sort their dealership situation out, definitely.
    2009 Shiver (White) | UK

apriliaforum expert coolonthecoast's Avatar
    Looks like the answer to the threads titular heading is No then.
    40 odd powered two wheelers over 40 odd years. Currently in the garage are a 2016 Tuono V1100RR and a '79 Honda CB550F

Give me a Shiver 1200 GT then!
    02 aprilia Futura
    15 aprilia Caponord 1200

apriliaforum expert dadsafrantic's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by rdbandkab View Post
    Give me a Shiver 1200 GT then!
    Iíd go for that. Just give mea big gas guzzling commuter.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Dadsafrantic

2015 Red Caponord #64
    2008 Mana Grey #81, hyperpro springs and shock, gpr furuore, rigid lights, bark busters, kaoko throttle lock, puig touring screen

apriliaforum newb
    Hi
    i have a 2015 Caponord I bought as a demo model and itís deveped a front valve cover leak also. I dropped it off to the dealer in Ringwood which use to be a Aprilia dealer. There response was no warranty because of its age, itís a pity because the major service is at 20.000km the cost will be high he said around $800.

Hi Moose03,

$800 for the 20k km service........... I think he might have forgotten how difficult these things are to get to the valve covers, and then the cost of new gaskets and reassembly...... I recall others saying they were a full on 12 hr day to do..... or a three day job at sensible pace .

Last 20k km service I had was $1100.00 and I supplied the oil.......

If the leak is just a weep I'd say live with it...... if it is dribbling over the bike and onto the floor, then that's a bigger problem...... but you can't get to the valve covers without ditching the coolant and totally stripping the bike down to the bare engine...... so it's a major job just for a gasket weep (if it isn't a porous cover..... which would have been a warranty item once.... just not anymore as the new Aus importer funds warranty claims here, not Aprilia EU).

Hoping it's just a weep........

apriliaforum expert coolonthecoast's Avatar
    Last 20k km service I had was $1100.00 and I supplied the oil.......
    Aussie dollars or US?
    40 odd powered two wheelers over 40 odd years. Currently in the garage are a 2016 Tuono V1100RR and a '79 Honda CB550F

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast