Thread: Which to buy: restored, in good shape mx 50 2000 or 2007 rx 50 in average shape

apriliaforum newb

Which to buy: restored, in good shape mx 50 2000 or 2007 rx 50 in average shape

So, I am looking to buy either an mx 50 or an rx 50. The mx is of 2000 vintage, but well overall well preserved and newly rebuilt with it's engine modified to 70ccm (has an am6 engine) .
    The rx is of 2007, in overall average shape for it's age by the looks of it, but with a rebuilt engine. The mx was used only on asphalt, de rx shows signs of at least light off road use.
    My question is: which of theese would be a more reliable ride? I'm concerned that if i go with the mx, i might have issues with sourcing parts due to it's age (i'm in the EU for reference), or if i go with the rx, there might be hidden issues due to off road use by former owners.
    Also the owner of the rx is a younger dude, so again, how well it was treated and taken care of is of concern.

Thank you for your help in advance!

apriliaforum Junkie
    Quote Originally Posted by Joecro View Post
    if i go with the rx, there might be hidden issues due to off road use by former owners.
    Also the owner of the rx is a younger dude, so again, how well it was treated and taken care of is of concern.
    If its frame ain't cracked or folded in half, not much else can go wrong.

However, here's two dangerous flaws you'd need to fix:

Front brake caliper screws vibrate loose. Replace toothed washers with wedge-locking washers.

Stock brake pedal tip lacks sufficient knurling. Replace it with a Conti pedal.