Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: coming to terms with limited after market support (so making clear tail lens myself)

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20190329_195957.jpg 
Views:	16 
Size:	494.0 KB 
ID:	377807

soooo close
    this one would have been usable had i mixed up more resin. still a couple bubbles, for me i would have used it. this weekend i will try again.

Good job. Still some small adjustment and it will be perfect

Awesome work!!
    '03 Falco Bought New on 4/6/07:
    Custom paint, Powder Coated RSV Swing arm, RSV Shock, Anodized Rear Sets, Ti Hardware, Anodized (Blue) Fork Caps, SL Carbon Cans, SL Carbon Chip, Custom Airbox w/ K&N Filter, Evo Clutch Slave Cyl., CF Front Sprocket Cover, Rear Hugger, & Chain Guard, GP Shifter, Tuono Rear Brake Master Cly., Evo Clutch Slave Cly., Evo Fender Eliminator, RSVR Mirrors (custom mounts), Custom Blue Dash, HID Headlight, Smoked Tail Light Lens, Integrated Turn Signals into Taillight, LEDs in Headlight & Taillight, LEDs Thru-out, SuperSprox +2 Rear Sprocket, Ariete Grips... (i'm sure there is more)

Bill

Well i tried tonight. Got in a rush and fumbled pretty hard. I will have the results in a day but don't hold your breath. Story upon results.

usable. still some air, i need wider mixxing containers to help with air release now that i know how much resin to use. i also dropped the dye into the resin and had a huge mess. and then by the time i got it sorted out the resin had just started to set. it was nearly a major disaster. also this part has more air in it than the previous one so it would still not be one i sold even though the shape is finally correct. i will be using it on my bike though. also the finishing time is about 7 days for curing, and it needs trimmed and buffed. probably 2 weeks per lens. but hey, there is a product in sight now.

Name:	IMG_20190402_071457.jpg 
Views:	11 
Size:	392.9 KB 
ID:	377974

Name:	IMG_20190402_071512.jpg 
Size:	443.3 KB 
ID:	377975

So you think of making them smoked or clear?

What will you use as bulb? Red necessarily?

Awesome work!!!
    Custom paint, Powder Coated RSV Swing arm, RSV Shock, Anodized Rear Sets, Ti Hardware, Anodized (Blue) Fork Caps, SL Carbon Cans, SL Carbon Chip, Custom Airbox w/ K&N Filter, Evo Clutch Slave Cyl., CF Front Sprocket Cover, Rear Hugger, & Chain Guard, GP Shifter, Tuono Rear Brake Master Cly., Evo Clutch Slave Cly., Evo Fender Eliminator, RSVR Mirrors (custom mounts), Custom Blue Dash, HID Headlight, Smoked Tail Light Lens, Integrated Turn Signals into Taillight, LEDs in Headlight & Taillight, LEDs Thru-out, SuperSprox +2 Rear Sprocket, Ariete Grips... (i'm sure there is more)

Bill

this one is what i would call smoke. it has a small (medium because i dropped the dye bottle) amount of black dye. i could also do a light smoke that has no dye but it would not look crystal clear so i would call it light smoke. i could do colors at the risk of triggering your local DOT. cost for smoke or light smoke will still be 75$ to you guys. i will also probably make an ebay listing at a higher cost, and altered colors (think blue, green, yellow, purple) would be available at a higher cost as well.

i will be using RED LED bulbs and a customized under tail and rear blinkers. i will hopefully have some pictures of my completed bike in the next couple weeks. remember that the item i will have available will JUST be the lens. it screws on to the housing and is very easy to install so bulb choice, blinkers and everything else will be up to your install. (a colored build will be a requirement as i do not think white brake lamps are DOT in any U.S. State.)

very good work mate, I'm deffo keen on the one with the dark tint when you're up and running. Even happy to advance the cash to help with your costs
    "I like to put a little silicone grease on the seals, too, to keep them looking young and fresh like a prom queen." - SoulDaddy

so the one pictured that had the correct shape had some mold deflection that caused a very thin spot. i accidentally broke the thin spot when cleaning up the edges. i have already done another pour that does not have the thin spot, and is 99% air free. however i used a new mixing cup and the ratio marks did not work out. i am hoping it hardens up today but at this point it is quite rubbery. *sigh* this is beginning to test my humanity. my daughters b-day is this weekend. i may take a couple weeks off and let my temper cool.

its a definite maybe.

Name:	IMG_20190404_211108.jpg 
Views:	10 
Size:	416.4 KB 
ID:	378108

Name:	IMG_20190404_211119.jpg 
Size:	390.3 KB 
ID:	378109

Name:	IMG_20190404_211134.jpg 
Views:	8 
Size:	411.7 KB 
ID:	378110

it has mostly cured, i will try edge sanding and buffing in another day and and we will see what happens. everybody cross your fingers and toes.

Quote Originally Posted by zedicus View Post
    its a definite maybe.

Name:	IMG_20190404_211108.jpg 
Size:	416.4 KB 
ID:	378108

Name:	IMG_20190404_211119.jpg 
Size:	390.3 KB 
ID:	378109

Name:	IMG_20190404_211134.jpg 
Views:	8 
Size:	411.7 KB 
ID:	378110

it has mostly cured, i will try edge sanding and buffing in another day and and we will see what happens. everybody cross your fingers and toes.
    Is this the one that had the thin spot? It looks cracked in the middle image.

Bill

no, post 56 is the re-pour. that line is just an imperfection in the mold that will be removed during post finishing. the thin spot is visible in post 50. here is another pic with it circled for clarification.

Name:	thinIMG_20190402_071512.jpg 
Views:	13 
Size:	444.9 KB 
ID:	378141

to recap,
    POST 50# and all previous attempts have failed.
    POST 56# is the current working prototype. it MAY be usable and needs to complete post finishing (smooth sand and polish) to be called successful.

the mold itself has had several modifications and was damaged once by an unknown source. that caused me to have to do a re pour of part of the mold that was accross the lens area. it leaves a line in casting that will cause some extra finishing work but it was faster than remaking another complete mold.

well it is installed
    pic with original plate bracket still

Name:	IMG_20190407_162021.jpg 
Size:	441.0 KB 
ID:	378317

pic showing the tail tidy

Name:	IMG_20190407_214230.jpg 
Size:	363.9 KB 
ID:	378318

pic with running light and right blinker

Name:	IMG_20190407_214135.jpg 
Views:	9 
Size:	423.4 KB 
ID:	378319

closeup of lens with light on, this is after about 2 hours of finish work. fron a couple feet away it is normal looking but this is a good picture showing that it will never be a show quality or OEM looking part. there is still room for improvement in the casting process so they may look better than this one but their will always be some flaws in the ones i cast. i will start casting and selling and if you see one that looks good to you feel free to make a purchase.

Name:	IMG_20190407_193826.jpg 
Views:	12 
Size:	259.7 KB 
ID:	378320

NOTE: i do need a brake light inner housing for fitting the lens while drying. the part that is black on the back and silver on the front that the lens screws too is all i really need. if you have one and would donate or sell cheap let me know. mine is back on my bike and i do not want to pull it every time i cast a lens.

I'm sure I have one, I'll see if I can dig it out soon.

Bill

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast