Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: coming to terms with limited after market support (so making clear tail lens myself)

coming to terms with limited after market support (so making clear tail lens myself)

i have done resin casting and still have some resin left i think. the tail light lens is complex but not impossible to cast so i am going to cast one for myself in smoke.

i hate making a mold for 1 part, it takes me a full weekend or 2 to get a usable mold for a small part. (i have a wife and 2 kids, my projects do not rate real high) and it would be a terrible waste for me to make a mold for something like this and then cast 1 out and never use it again.

i have enough resin to probably do 10 of them.

what would you pay for 1?

would you want smoke or crystal?

apriliaforum prov-nov DrumRobson's Avatar
    All I know it there was once somebody that made a super small series of the clear version and they were taken in no time. (Not for me though, I like my red one )

i shall be getting some more mold rubber this evening. hoping to be able to pour a mold this weekend and maybe be prototyping a lens in 2 weeks.

i am suppose to make a set of chess pieces for a friend, and some Halloween decorations for my wife too. so i am planning on sneaking the lens in and blaming the lengthy stuff on the wifes decorations. (shhh it is our secrete)

will probably make the prototypes some bright non DOT color so that i will not be tempted to sell that batch. more to come soon.

since the tail light seems to generate ZERO interest, i am thinking about doing rear seat pans also. is there anyone wanting one of those or is this a truly dead platform?

in case there is doubt, here is a picture of some of my castings that i happen to have with me. the pieces are cast, the dark ones are plated (by me also) the board is a reclaimed oak school desk i stained and cleared.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20171220_192717.jpg 
Views:	14 
Size:	514.6 KB 
ID:	368238
    Last edited by zedicus; 10-04-2018 at 12:41 PM.

If you have the ability to cast clear lenses, post in the mille and tuono subforums. There seems to be occasional interest/need for replacement headlight lenses.
    I'm on the app store! Check out Solitaire: Slide it's free!

apriliaforum prov-nov
    I'd be interested depending on cost.

Mark
    Cheers,

Mark...

aka....Pan.

I would be interested in one or two. But I already have a smoked one installed, and another for a backup.
    '03 Falco Bought New on 4/6/07:
    Custom paint, Powder Coated RSV Swing arm, RSV Shock, Anodized Rear Sets, Ti Hardware, Anodized (Blue) Fork Caps, SL Carbon Cans, SL Carbon Chip, Custom Airbox w/ K&N Filter, Evo Clutch Slave Cyl., CF Front Sprocket Cover, Rear Hugger, & Chain Guard, GP Shifter, Tuono Rear Brake Master Cly., Evo Clutch Slave Cly., Evo Fender Eliminator, RSVR Mirrors (custom mounts), Custom Blue Dash, HID Headlight, Smoked Tail Light Lens, Integrated Turn Signals into Taillight, LEDs in Headlight & Taillight, LEDs Thru-out, SuperSprox +2 Rear Sprocket, Ariete Grips... (i'm sure there is more)

Bill

tail light might be 75$ shipped
    passenger seat pan 100$ shipped
    passenger seat padded and upholstered black vinyl (ready to ride) 150$ shipped.

or let me know what you guys paid for the smoked or clear ones you purchased previously so i know what to charge?

(still not a for sale thread, i do have resin and stuff now though, will try to get the mold made this weekend)

so i mixed up and poured the casting silicone last night, and it did not cure. i knew it was kind of old but i didnt think it had ever froze or gotten moisture in it. so now i have a giant mess. on to plan 'B'.

last time miko made a batch.
    Clear lens;
    UK; 44.00 GBP
    Europe; €62.00
    USA; $80.00
    Australia; AUS$105.00

Smoked lens;
    UK; 47.00 GBP
    Europe; €67.00
    USA; $85.00
    Australia; AUS$112.00
    Martin Poll
    www.martinpoll.dk

perfect thanks

i had to order a new batch of silicone, it should be here in about a week.
    the resin for the lens i have is still good, i just used some of it about a month ago.
    i think my dye is still good also, i may offer colors as a NON-STREET option.

i am going to have to build a inside first mold due to the weird double lip on the back side of the lens, i thought about not casting the lip in and dremeling out a notch for the ones i make but that seems like even more work. how is this fine piece of machinery known as the falco SOOO unloved? even the stinking suzuki TL1000 has more aftermarket available.
    Last edited by zedicus; 10-11-2018 at 11:11 AM.

fedex lost 200$ worth of casting silicone. *sigh* i will order another gallon tomorrow because it will take 3 months before i get this fedex claim fought through.

my lens was not in great shape so now i have time to body fill and smooth sand it out for the casting.

apriliaforum prov-nov DrumRobson's Avatar
    Would you be willing to post a few photos of the making process later? Even though I want to stay with my OEM lens I am still very interested in the process!

I am all about open source learning, you will be able to cast your own stuff when i am done posting pics.

I'm keen on a smoked lens, bloody broke my old one
    "I like to put a little silicone grease on the seals, too, to keep them looking young and fresh like a prom queen." - SoulDaddy

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast