Thread: Dead dashboard & the usual fixes did not work

apriliaforum prov-nov joost.bijl's Avatar

Dead dashboard & the usual fixes did not work

Hi,

My dashboard died and thanks to this forum i got a few good pointers on where to start fixing it. Unfortunately it does not work yet.

I have a 2002 Caponord with 90k on the clock.

What happened
    The first time the dashboard went dead was 3 months and 3000km ago. After a very small break i started and the dashboard was dead. I drove off and after 2 minutes or so the dashboard started up as it would normally at turning the ignition key.

Then the symptoms did not show for 2 months.

When on a roadtrip through the Balkans (yay TET!) the same thing happened again sporadically at first. Sometimes it would boot 'delayed', sometimes it would be normal, sometimes it would not boot at all. After a few days the dashboard never came back to life.

What did i do
    I replaced the three capacitors, although they did not look faulty. When reading Karls moto-abruzzo website this seems a logical thing to do though.

I also made the via that meanstrk points out in his post on the subject. This via was indeed not working.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	after fix - front.jpg 
Views:	8 
Size:	505.5 KB 
ID:	368084

Name:	after fix - back.jpg 
Views:	9 
Size:	484.3 KB 
ID:	368083

Current symptoms
    The dashboard does not do anything, except the leds for kickstand, oil pressure, efi and neutral. With both the contact off and on, the efi light glows faintly:

Name:	showing faint efi light with ignition on.jpg 
Size:	509.1 KB 
ID:	368085
    ^^ Here the ignition is on

Name:	showing faint efi light with ignition off.jpg 
Size:	519.5 KB 
ID:	368086
    ^^ Here the ignition is off, note the faint efi light

(pics are when i added a via myself (i'm a bad solderer) and the capacitors were not changed yet. The symptoms are the same)

Now what
    I'm not really sure what to do next. One thing is that i'll trace the circuits to find other bad via's (um, i'll ask people way more skilled than me to help me do this.. i mean). Is there anything else you can suggest, or should i cave and ask someone to have a go at it? (moto-abruzzo or beasthonda i guess?)

Quote Originally Posted by joost.bijl View Post
    Hi,

My dashboard died and thanks to this forum i got a few good pointers on where to start fixing it. Unfortunately it does not work yet.

I have a 2002 Caponord with 90k on the clock.

What happened
    The first time the dashboard went dead was 3 months and 3000km ago. After a very small break i started and the dashboard was dead. I drove off and after 2 minutes or so the dashboard started up as it would normally at turning the ignition key.

Then the symptoms did not show for 2 months.

When on a roadtrip through the Balkans (yay TET!) the same thing happened again sporadically at first. Sometimes it would boot 'delayed', sometimes it would be normal, sometimes it would not boot at all. After a few days the dashboard never came back to life.

What did i do
    I replaced the three capacitors, although they did not look faulty. When reading Karls moto-abruzzo website this seems a logical thing to do though.

I also made the via that meanstrk points out in his post on the subject. This via was indeed not working.

Name:	after fix - front.jpg 
Size:	505.5 KB 
ID:	368084

Name:	after fix - back.jpg 
Size:	484.3 KB 
ID:	368083

Current symptoms
    The dashboard does not do anything, except the leds for kickstand, oil pressure, efi and neutral. With both the contact off and on, the efi light glows faintly:

Name:	showing faint efi light with ignition on.jpg 
Size:	509.1 KB 
ID:	368085
    ^^ Here the ignition is on

Name:	showing faint efi light with ignition off.jpg 
Size:	519.5 KB 
ID:	368086
    ^^ Here the ignition is off, note the faint efi light

(pics are when i added a via myself (i'm a bad solderer) and the capacitors were not changed yet. The symptoms are the same)

Now what
    I'm not really sure what to do next. One thing is that i'll trace the circuits to find other bad via's (um, i'll ask people way more skilled than me to help me do this.. i mean). Is there anything else you can suggest, or should i cave and ask someone to have a go at it? (moto-abruzzo or beasthonda i guess?)
    Andy ( beasthonda ) is not doing repaired now as he has changed jobs think Carl is doing them contact him on his web page