Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: V85

Oh, I will be testing it but I won't even begin to think about buying one until it gets twice as many valves, hi-cams and hopefully twin TB's run by the 7SM or it's successor. If that doesn't happen? At my age it means I'll be done with Guzzi after forty years.
    Professional Goat Burster.

apriliaforum newb
    for the same reasons as Pete, i passed on it. I too can't go backwards technologically.

I rode a used Stelvio and while I agree it would be the bike to have if I had to be 1600 miles away in two days, it was just too clumsy doing anything else. So what did that leave a Guzzi guy with an arthritic knee? A bunch of V7's that besides the blah engine, grind if you lean them over in a corner. But they are really selling plenty of them here in Seattle now that they are cheap I'm glad to say.

So I bought a Dorsoduro 900. Not that I would take it there, but with the right tires, it would likely go everywhere the TT should go (if you carry some extra gas!).

apriliaforum Junkie
    Personally, I don't get the going backwards step at all.

Its a logical progression of the small block series and as such, "Is it more powerful than its predecessor the V9?" Yes, 56 to 80 hp.
    Does it handle better? There is witness here that says that this is extremely possible.
    Does it brake better? Undoubtably.
    Does it vibrate less ..........
    In fact I can't think of one thing that it may do worse than the last small block in the series.

And surely its a technological marvel actually getting an aircooled two valve twin to reliably approach nearly 100hp per litre and still have good road manners.

Yesterday I rode a Ducati 1100 Scrambler that made an old fashioned 86hp, was it fast enough, powerful enough? Hell yeah!
    But here we have an 850 making 'only' 80hp, is a massive improvement in the series and its simply not good enough? Really?

As I said, I simply don't get the angst. A lot of riders I have spoken to about skimming over choosing a Guzzi in preference to something more powerful have stated to me something like "If only it had 5 to 10 more horsepower it would be a lovely bike." And yet here is a model that jumps up to 24hp more, now doesn't get compared to the progression before it but suffers from being lumped in with everything else. What happened to the previous comment about "if it only had more power?" Sounds like they were never in the market for a "lovely bike" in the first place," but were content to just complain.

Buyers, reviewers and riders will never be happy if the want is to play the numbers game as the numbers never stay static.

Tell me, what happens if a 4 valve engine did appear? Would it keep pace when lumped in against all brands represented by say BMW, Triumph, anything Japanese etc? No.
    The numbers would have progressed further and changed again, and it still wouldn't satisfy.

Perhaps we could simply accept it for what it is and just enjoy it - now theres a thought.

apriliaforum prov-nov
    Fully agree Chris.
    This 850 engine has enough power (and torque, which is even more important) to be an air-cooled 850. The rider that is looking for a more powerful bike (me) simply should look to a 1200 bike, but there's really nothing to complain about this 850, it does exactly what is has to do.

And the obsession with cubic capacity remains strong. There is little hope.

apriliaforum Junkie
    With all due respect Pete, I disagree.
    Cubic capacity relates to power and with most modern power plants it's becoming meaningless.

Witness 1200cc engines making 200hp, do you really want more than that?

Motorcycles have to wean themselves off quoting cubic capacity proudly on tank badges - cars have been doing it for years and seems a bit Neolithic to splash engine size on something that is lethal at half the size

Exactly the point I was making Chris.

Max Lean Angle / Administrator Ed / AF1 Racing's Avatar
    motogp is in town and they brought one early to show off....had a key and battery so I rode it around the parking lot.

Very nice....feels very light, perfect sizing, torquey. The bike is very nicely built in person. Good job Moto Guzzi, cant wait for our own demo to come in and start getting them on the road. We've pre-sold 6 so far.

Quote Originally Posted by Ed / AF1 Racing View Post
    We've pre-sold 6 so far.
    Good for you Ed, that's great. Here's to hoping Guzzi sells a ton of 'em.

Personally, and though I'm not really an adventure bike sort of guy, I think they're good looking. Nice alternative to the other stuff out there.

John
    2008 RSV 1000 R, platinum/charcoal/red
    Akrapovic full system, NERA top triple clamp, Aprilia accessory rear sets, AF1 Ti bolt kit, etc. etc...

2008 Moto Guzzi 1200 Sport, black... and stock for now

2007 Ducati GT 1000, red
    Showa forks, Sachs shocks, Termignoni kit, lots more

apriliaforum prov-nov
    My dealer has already sold 10 of them and has plenty of new requests

Damn good looking as well.
    Bikes:
    2007.5 Tuono-Black, with 1102cc's of micah's badness!
    2012 Griso-Silver and black, Agostini pipe, some carbon bits.
    2006 Vespa GT200-bitubo suspension all around, Malossi big-bore, head and cam, Akrapovic pipe, all put together by Micah.

gone 2002 Caponord-Oyster gray (as faithful as a hound dog)
    gone Futura-Red (on the AF1 showroom floor. Get some.)

The more I learn about people, the more I appreciate rocks.

I want one.
    Pete

apriliaforum expert coolonthecoast's Avatar
    Whats going on with the headlamp subframe? It certainly looks substantial like you could attach a couple of WW2 searchlights to it. Joking aside the fit and finish looks very good.
    40 odd powered two wheelers over 40 odd years. Currently in the garage are a 2016 Tuono V4 1100RR and a '79 Honda CB550F

apriliaforum Junkie
    Quote Originally Posted by coolonthecoast View Post
    Whats going on with the headlamp subframe? It certainly looks substantial like you could attach a couple of WW2 searchlights to it. Joking aside the fit and finish looks very good.
    Looks perfect for a full fairing mount 24 hr Bol D'or racing style -I can easily see an 850 4 valve Le Mans version coming from this.
    Last edited by Chris Wilson; 04-17-2019 at 02:55 AM.

apriliaforum Junkie
    Review I just read said that there is a larger capacity coming out soon?

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast