Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: V85

Unhappy V85

I am seriously excited about this bike and cant wait for the official unveiling at EICMA in just over a month and a full spec sheet. 80HP doesnt sound a lot but if it is usable, the weight is sensible and the seat height also, it will likely be my next purchase as I look to bias my rides onto secondary roads and away from the increasingly heavily policed popular tarmac routes. Likely wait till the “Series II” so they iron a few bugs out but definitely a contender.

Any other fans out there?

Name:  00A74749-BA05-44D7-8208-1280804E5199.jpeg
Views: 527
Size:  60.3 KB
    2013 Tuono APRC ABS
    1982 LeMans Mk3

Always leave people better than you found them!

The best time to plant a tree is 20 years ago. The 2nd best time is today!

I'd like to ride one as well. It sounds underpowered, but maybe it will surprise us in other ways. My wife's V7 is fun to ride, and would be a lot better with some serious suspension work - power isn't its biggest problem.

Unfortunately, we are losing our only MG dealer.
    WMRRA #98
    2013 KTM 990 SMT (street)
    2009 Yamaha R6 (race)

It won't make 80hp in a month of Sunday's. It's a 2VPC pushrod motor with a circa 8,000 rpm redline it can't make those figures, sorry. Will it make more than the V9? Yes, almost certainly. Some parts are lighter and it is no longer hindered by the miserable little MUIG 3 throttlebody and controller but those things alone will not make it into an overmuscled rocket ship, no matter how much the spivs try and spin it.

Does this mean it will be a bad motorbike? No, not at all, but why make stuff up? It's stupid.

Pete
    Professional Goat Burster.

Pete the grumpy cat. Always pissing on someone's Moto Guzzi parade...Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Grumpy-Cat-920x584.jpeg 
Views:	35 
Size:	70.9 KB 
ID:	367807
    Pete

True, but he is right. I too am quite skeptical of the claims unless there are significant developments at play here and we are all making the assumptions that it is a dressed up V9 donk, which is certainly what it appears and which produces a claimed 55HP. I guess the proof will be in the pudding. If it makes 70, pulls nicely from down low, and they keep the weight down, then it should make a very practical motorcycle for its intended end use and that is what attracts me. The concern for me is that locally, it will likely market in the Low A$20K range and there is a lot of strong competition at that price point. If I want HP thrills I can ride the TV4.
    2013 Tuono APRC ABS
    1982 LeMans Mk3

Always leave people better than you found them!

The best time to plant a tree is 20 years ago. The 2nd best time is today!

Quote Originally Posted by Hellgate View Post
    Pete the grumpy cat. Always pissing on someone's Moto Guzzi parade...Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Grumpy-Cat-920x584.jpeg 
Views:	35 
Size:	70.9 KB 
ID:	367807
    Not meaning to be negative but the laws of physics and thermodynamics are harsh mistresses. As I said it may well be a fun bike but I can't see why they bother making shit up about it that isn't going to happen? It won't help sell the bike or promote the brand.

Me personally? I'll wait for the 4VPC version and hopefully they'll hi-cam it. Then it may make 80HP. You can see from looking at the V9 castings that 4 valves are just around the corner.

Pete
    Professional Goat Burster.

I'll take that engine in a new version Breva (naked standard good for 2up with luggage).

If the power is bout the same as my ole 06 Breva 1100, I'd be fine with it.
    02 aprilia Futura
    15 aprilia Caponord 1200

apriliaforum prov-nov
    Quote Originally Posted by pete roper View Post
    It won't make 80hp in a month of Sunday's. It's a 2VPC pushrod motor with a circa 8,000 rpm redline it can't make those figures, sorry. Will it make more than the V9? Yes, almost certainly. Some parts are lighter and it is no longer hindered by the miserable little MUIG 3 throttlebody and controller but those things alone will not make it into an overmuscled rocket ship, no matter how much the spivs try and spin it.

Does this mean it will be a bad motorbike? No, not at all, but why make stuff up? It's stupid.

Pete
    I'm surprised they didn't claim the weight at 350 pounds. That would be, of course, with out the running gear.

Max Lean Angle / Administrator Ed / AF1 Racing's Avatar
    more pics...shown with bags, and new blue color
    https://www.motociclismo.it/gallery/...-intermot-2018

I like it. Nice looking bike.
    Pete

RideApart: Moto Guzzi V85 TT Officially Unveiled at Intermot.
    https://www.rideapart.com/articles/2...termot-reveal/

Anyone wanna buy a nice, clean, low mile Tuono V4? I really like the new Goose in blue.
    Pete

Ok...... Get to the other models to use this motor!
    02 aprilia Futura
    15 aprilia Caponord 1200

It'll be very interesting to see real life specs on it. The site showing:

The rough and tumble Guzzi is powered by an all-new, 850cc, air-cooled, transverse v-twin that is exclusive to the V85. This new mill puts down 80 horsepower—eight-zero—and is, in fact, the base from which a whole new family of Guzzis is being developed. Neat, eh? Apparently all of this extra power comes courtesy of a lighter crank, bigger fuel intakes, bigger valves, and pistons with shorter skirts, all of which make for a revvy engine with, probably, a respectable redline.

In the V85TT, the new engine is used as a stressed member, giving the lovely steel tube trellis frame exceptional stiffness (according to Guzzi). The suspension—monoshock-sprung, asymmetric swingarm at the rear with a shaft drive and upside down forks at the front—are all adjustable and have plenty of travel for any off-road shenanigans you want to get up to. In fact, according to Moto Guzzi, the bike is definitely as much function as form and the Dakar-inspired looks are backed up by lightness, agility, and actual off-road bona fides.

One comment was 225kg wet.. That would be interesting.
    02 aprilia Futura
    15 aprilia Caponord 1200

496 lbs isn't too bad.
    Pete

I assume these will arrive in the US Spring of 2019?
    Pete

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast