Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567

Thread: V85

apriliaforum prov-nov
    Quote Originally Posted by pete roper View Post
    ... I still remain deeply cynical about the claimed power output and personally find little to like about the machine, at least on paper and in pictures...
    You've made it very clear several times. You're not forced to like it, just move on with your life.

apriliaforum prov-nov
    More importantly, AF1 was in the LA Times: https://www.latimes.com/business/sto...ake-a-comeback

Come on Pete, just drive it and don't judge it from paper like all others do. Not so stubborn :-)

apriliaforum Junkie
    I too am critical about the power claimed but so far everyone who had reviewed it has not questioned the claim.
    Having said that I would love to see an independent Dyno verify it.

Here's some of the related Guzzis that were heretofore unavailable in the US, most all small-blocks from the mid-late 80s (I could speculate about rear wheel or crank output, but I won't). I'd have given my left nut to own one of them back in the day...

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1987 Moto Guzzi 350 NTX.jpg 
Views:	13 
Size:	98.9 KB 
ID:	386796Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Moto Guzzi 650 NTX.jpg 
Views:	14 
Size:	99.9 KB 
ID:	386799Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Moto Guzzi 750 NTX.jpg 
Views:	14 
Size:	99.7 KB 
ID:	386800
    350, 650, 750 NTX respectively.
    Last edited by Kevlar; 08-18-2019 at 07:02 PM. Reason: Remove attachment
    The Patriarch of the SuperNaked: '05 TF

Aprilias formerly owned: '02 ETV 1000 Caponord, '00 650 Pegaso Cube, '04 RST 1000 Futura, '99 RS 50 (70)

Too many other bikes to list!

They look kinda like Cagiva Elephants. Very cool.
    Bikes:
    2007.5 Tuono-Black, with 1102cc's of micah's badness!
    2012 Griso-Silver and black, Agostini pipe, some carbon bits.
    2006 Vespa GT200-bitubo suspension all around, Malossi big-bore, head and cam, Akrapovic pipe, all put together by Micah.

gone 2002 Caponord-Oyster gray (as faithful as a hound dog)
    gone Futura-Red (on the AF1 showroom floor. Get some.)

The more I learn about people, the more I appreciate rocks.

Another article mentioning the bike and Ed, too. Courtesy of Young Brunello.

Sorry if it's the same article as in the LA Times just posted. Couldn't read it via the link without subscribing.

https://www.recordernews.com/news/financial/161229

Pete, sounds like maybe it's time for your goatee to be dyed a new color! It could be like your mood ring, perhaps.

Dogs are the best people.

taranaki new zealand beneath mount taranaki
    Quote Originally Posted by SoulDaddy View Post
    Another article mentioning the bike and Ed, too. Courtesy of Young Brunello.

Sorry if it's the same article as in the LA Times just posted. Couldn't read it via the link without subscribing.

https://www.recordernews.com/news/financial/161229

Pete, sounds like maybe it's time for your goatee to be dyed a new color! It could be like your mood ring, perhaps.
    A mate of mine just brought one of these 850's, Its not very nice looking in the yellow colour, it looks like a Ronald McDonald bike, he likes it tho, but said the luggage was a horrendous price.
    "Be yourself, because everybody else is taken "..............................In the shed...... Multistrada 1200, Termi full system with matching ECU, and ohlins SCU. KTM 1290 GT. Torque monster. Remus link and muffler, KTM 790 fun machine.

Well an old friend bought one and I got a brief ride on it yesterday.

Despite my cynicism it is a machine that is greater than the sum of its parts and I have to admit it was very enjoyable. I was expecting it to be bland, anodyne and boring. It isn't. You can tell you're riding a motorbike and it has a very nice induction honk. The motor is surprisingly sprightly especially compared to the truly lacklustre performance of the V7 and V9 series. No, of course it's not up there with Capo 1200 performance, that's not what it's aimed at, but considering it is a highly regulated air cooled motor pushing a heavy bike using a cardan shaft it's estimated, (By me.) mid sixties rear wheel HP and well chosen gearing mean that it gets off the mark adequately and will cruise effortlessly at 130kph with plenty in reserve although for brisk overtaking from those speeds I'd be dropping it a gear and really nailing it. With a Hi-Cam top end and an extra pair of valves per cylinder it really could be a very nice motor indeed.

Many people have commented on the clutch. It really is extraordinarily light in its action. A joy to use. The gearbox ratios are well spaced and the gearbox, as have all Guzzi gearboxes since the advent of the 'Nuovo Six Speed' in the CARC bike's
    is a solid, efficient, light and positive action unit that does everything asked of it well.

The one I rode has the 'Low' seat and although I didn't have time to judge it's true distance comfort it didn't feel like the sort of perch that would cripple you in two hours. The ergonomics also worked well for me with both the reach to the bars and footpeg position seeming well chosen. Brakes work OK. I'd be throwing in some HH pads rather than the FF's they always come with.

What didn't I like? The dashboard is horrid. I don't know who came up with the idea of these types of LCD dashes but they should be taken out the back for a good kicking. Awful. The headlight with the chunder inducing 'Falcon' motif looks like something a small child dreamt up. Enough of that shit! And the biggest disappointment is the suspension. True 'Poverty Pack' junk but since nobody seems to complain about it I can only assume that barely adjustable, underdamped crap is OK in most people's books. Both front and rear feel seriously wanting and really make the bike feel like it's been 'Built down to a (very low) price'! Aprilia/Piaggio have history in this regard. Look at the shite the poor Shiver and Mana were stuck with. Shameful!

Overall though I was mightily and happily impressed. Will I be buying one? Not until it gets a better top end, no. Thing is I reckon I'll be able to ride the Stelvio for a few more years and by then, hopefully, they will of developed a decent engine to go in the V85. I can wait.

I was expecting to hate it. I don't. I actually like it a lot. As I said at the beginning, it is greater than the sum of its parts.

Pete
    Professional Goat Burster.

Have to agree. Went by local dealer with three friends,two non guzzi owners. All liked the fit and finish, no wires or cabling loose or hanging down.Light controls contribute to a nicely balanced package.

The fly in the soup is price point. $12,990 US msrp is in some excellent motorcycle neighborhood. I also dislike the TFT dash, have one on my KTM and can`t read the dam thing most the time.

Now stuff this motor in a V9 Lemans version @ $9999 and they will sell.
    I thought I would die young, but now its too late.

In Oz the V85 comes with a $22,000 price tag!
    Professional Goat Burster.

Quote Originally Posted by Ryephile View Post
    More importantly, AF1 was in the LA Times: https://www.latimes.com/business/sto...ake-a-comeback
    Robert Pandya's remarks near the end of the article reflected his experience and frustration with Aprilia's non-marketing department. He hit the nail on the head. With Guzzi claiming the market for this bike will come from non-Guzzi riders and folks who don't even know what Guzzi is, they really do need to step up their marketing, distribution, and support efforts. Nice to see Ed and AF1 mentioned, and I'm glad their V85 sales have taken off.

Stu

Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567