Thread: Swm italian motorcycles

apriliaforum prov-nov
    Add Content
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	image.jpg 
Views:	36 
Size:	158.5 KB 
ID:	367644  

apriliaforum expert
    So how have you found the servicing on this wee beastie? A friend is weighing up one of these vs. the new four-stroke KTM Freeride 250.

Neither of us has had a proper dirt bike before (just trailies), so the whole hourly service schedule thing is a bit eye watering to say the least!!

His experience either way may shape my future purchasing decisions too - I got a CRF250L because I wasn't aware of the SWM and the previous KTM Freeride didn't have a keyed ignition.
    2009 Shiver (White) | UK

apriliaforum prov-nov

Swm italian motorcycles

I considered the free ride and 250l

The free ride was way to small and had budget suspension...... great starter bike for newbie green laning, but most move on quickly once they recognize the limitations of the bike

The Honda L is even worse is weighs so much and is more road biased

Parts / service for both bikes are very good.

The swm has top draw components look at the spec sheet .

The RS300r and RS500r are basically 2010 model husqvarna bikes witch have a long heritage in building off road enduro bikes

They tweaked and changed the fuelling and the bikes HAVE key ignition and are road legal

Swm seat height is not as high as KTM but still tall

Build quality IS very good on the swm and are made in the original husky factory in Italy by some of the original husky staff

The swm is a proper enduro bike not quite as good as KTM ( KTM are the best ) but when u consider about 2500 cheaper than a new KTM

Swm is a cracking bike and punches well above it weight with an affordable price tag

Second hand ones u can pick up at a bargin price

Uk importers for swm are in Hampshire and hold quite a-bit if stock but not all parts

Parts they don’t have come from Milan Italy and can take 3 weeks

however the husky TE310 and TE510 most parts cross over and fit the swm bikes and can be bought from husky Winchester or Midwest racing in about 3 days.

The engines on the swm bike have proved very reliable overall

I’ve done nearly 3000 miles on mine all off-road and it’s not mist a beat, I changed oil and filter every 500 miles it cost me 27 and clean air filter at the same time.

I really love my swm bike because it’s a cracking proper bike compared to the free ride and 250l and my swm has never let me down

I only down side to swm bikes is sometimes parts can take slightly longer but remember some parts cross over from the husky bikes plus now the bikes have been out for nearly 3 years people are finding compatible parts from other bikes that fit

If you have money to burn and want the Best Buy KTM EXCF 250 or 350 where your get the best bike BUT remember KTM state the bike will need top end engine rebuild every 100 hours

The KTM engines are highly strung more so than the swm and require more maintenance

I hope this helps....... if you want more info or pics check out THE FB SWM OWNERS CLUB ( UK BASED )

apriliaforum expert
    Thanks very much for all the info. I think the height is sadly a real killer, but otherwise it sounds ideal! I'll have a sit on one and consider seat / suspension options at least.

My little red pig (as it's affectionately known stateside) is pretty heavy and the suspension is very soft, it's true, although the suspension at least is easily fixed. But, I know I can abuse it on the street and it'll only need topping up with fluids for the mileage I do, whereas a proper enduro supposedly should have already had a bottom end rebuild by now. I could happily deal with something in between those extremes.
    Ultimately, there is almost certainly an electric machine in my future once that all settles down.

Anyway, through a combination of seat heights, cost, servicing intervals and intended use (lots of mechanically abusive commuting), my friend will be looking at the last of the old school trailies, e.g. the KLX250 and so on.
    2009 Shiver (White) | UK