Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: DosoDuro rear shock

apriliaforum newb

DosoDuro rear shock

Hello frem Denmark

i'm looking ind to Jack up the rear end og my Shiver 900 and i thought the rear shock from the 900 DD might fit, buy dos any of you know the overall length and the springrate for the 900 DD's rear shock ??
    And a bonus questions some one of you there are familiar with springrate for the 900 Shiver.

B.R.
    Jonas

apriliaforum expert
    Not 100% sure about the 900s, but the 750s (and 1200) shocks allegedly measure like so:

Shiver: 310 - 315 mm
    Dorso: 327 mm

The rear springrate of the Shiver 750 is 150 N / mm

Ohlins spec a 150 N / mm spring for the DD1200 as an aftermarket part (STX46).

If you straight swap a DD shock (the 1200 has more adjustment, nicer unit overall) then the rear will be about 35 - 40 mm higher with the same springrate and sag. There should be more than enough room for the extra suspension stroke.

The DD swinging arm setup reduces that height gain to only 10 mm, but the DD seat is 50 mm taller than a Shiver - so that extra 40 mm comes from the subframe and seat itself.

A taller / thicker seat may well be a better option if you don't want to upset the suspension geometry too much. An adjustable length shock could give you the height you need as well.

The Shiver 900 shock is part number B044563, which was also used on the 750s.
    The Dorsduro 900 shock is 856792, also fitted to the 750s.
    For completeness, the 1200: 898113
    2009 Shiver (White) | UK

The Nitron shock on my bike allows an adjustable length, but I set mine to standard.
    Frodo
    2015 Shiver
    New Zealand

apriliaforum newb

Thanks for your answer

I was hoping for a lift at about 30mm (more like a max lift at 30mm) and the DD 900 has precisely 30mm longer suspension travel then the shiver, so i thought what the heck and bought a DD 900 shock, thinking dry the DD are only marginally lighter than the Shiver, os it should be possible to adjust the sag and rebound to fit
    i'v got an almost new DD 900 shock at en fairly good price, so i thought "you can always sell it again, if it's doesn't give what i'm looking for"

apriliaforum newb

getting in to an Nitron shock are also an a fairly big investment compairt with det OEM DD shock, at least when it's only an theory that a 30mm lift will give a better ride on the small back roads, but thanks for your input

apriliaforum expert
    A rise of 30 mm requires a shock that is about 11 mm longer, so you're not far off really with the DD shock - most aftermarket shocks don't offer that range of adjustment, though. You will be able to measure the Shiver shock for yourself to be sure (I couldn't find a consensus and haven't measured mine). If you do go the aftermarket route, I'm sure that can be accommodated as a custom option from some manufacturers; or just buy an adjustable length DD aftermarket shock for simplicity.

Bear in mind that the stock Shiver shock only results in about 95-100 mm of travel, not the 130 mm that Aprilia claim. I don't know if the same is true of the DD shock, but you can confirm this for yourself by removing the spring and measuring the stroke from stop to stop. I think it should be somewhere around 55 - 60 mm. A shorter shock stroke basically makes the suspension less able to absorb bumps.

It's quite an easy thing to test fit the shock on the bike if you are able to unload the rear wheel - e.g. centrestand, Abba-type frame stand or just a plain ol' jack under the engine (with some kind of load spreading to protect the casings). It's also possible to have a friend help you balance the bike on the sidestand whilst you make the swap! Or even a hoist if it comes to it...

If you're doing it purely to change the geometry, 30 mm is pretty extreme. Several people have raised the forks in the clamps on the 750s to give better turn in and more neutral steering, about 10-15 mm is common (2 - 3 of the machined grooves in the tops of the fork legs showing above the clamps).
    Last edited by IndelibleInk; 09-21-2018 at 06:42 AM.
    2009 Shiver (White) | UK

apriliaforum newb
    IndelibleInktanks for your input it's Sounds like your know a thing or two

i know that a jack up at 30 mm is quite a big change in the geometry, but i don't want lower the front of my bike since i'm already broke one of my hero bolts out of the peg

i'm going to post some pictures of measurements an soon as im beginning the shock swap

apriliaforum newb
    i've test fitted the new dorsoduro shock on my Shiver and it picked up 40mm, so now i just need a new larger sprocket set to lift the chain from the swingarm i think i will im going for to a 17/46 from the original 16/44 so a bit heavier gearing then stuck, it corrects the speedo so its 3 km/h of instead of 5km/h

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC_0502.jpg 
Views:	30 
Size:	362.8 KB 
ID:	367892Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC_0508.jpg 
Views:	27 
Size:	377.7 KB 
ID:	367895Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC_0509.jpg 
Views:	23 
Size:	288.0 KB 
ID:	367896
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC_0504.jpg 
Views:	24 
Size:	397.5 KB 
ID:	367893  

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC_0505.jpg 
Views:	24 
Size:	297.6 KB 
ID:	367894  

Quote Originally Posted by IndelibleInk View Post

Bear in mind that the stock Shiver shock only results in about 95-100 mm of travel, not the 130 mm that Aprilia claim. I don't know if the same is true of the DD shock, but you can confirm this for yourself by removing the spring and measuring the stroke from stop to stop. I think it should be somewhere around 55 - 60 mm. A shorter shock stroke basically makes the suspension less able to absorb bumps..
    Are you talking about shock stroke or suspension stroke?
    Have you measured this?
    Frodo
    2015 Shiver
    New Zealand

Bear in mind that the stock Shiver shock only results in about 95-100 mm of travel, not the 130 mm that Aprilia claim. I don't know if the same is true of the DD shock, but you can confirm this for yourself by removing the spring and measuring the stroke from stop to stop. I think it should be somewhere around 55 - 60 mm. A shorter shock stroke basically makes the suspension less able to absorb bumps..
    Have you measured this?
    Frodo
    2015 Shiver
    New Zealand

apriliaforum expert
    Oh wow, nicely done! Shame about the chain fouling the swinging arm. That's a steeper angle than I expected, but a lot of that will come out when you sit on it - this also means you will be closer to the 30 mm extra you originally wanted when you are sat aboard (depending on preload).

You'll have to let us know how it feels.

Quote Originally Posted by Frodo View Post
    Have you measured this?
    In that specific instance I was talking about wheel travel of the Shiver, not shock stroke - I've decided I should try to use different words to avoid confusion (I mostly confuse myself).

I was able to calculate values for shock stroke from the swinging arm geometry (leverage ratios), and these were corroborated by measurements other members have made (including now the 40 mm rise demonstrated here). The actual, shorter than expected shock stroke figure I quoted came from this thread:
    https://www.apriliaforum.com/forums/...nfo-mostly-bad

I have not personally measured the shock stroke or wheel travel of my own bike at this point. If I can get the spring off without killing myself, I intend to do that when I upgrade to a Nitron
    2009 Shiver (White) | UK

Hi Ink
    That's interesting. Its hard to verify HP measured at the crank (other than a correction of the rear wheel measurement), so Aprilia can get away with fibbing there, but suspension travel?
    I set my rear sag based on my assumption that the stated suspension stroke was correct. I'll try to measure the stroke. I don't want to remove the spring, so I'll slacken it off as much as possible and get a pillion to see if it bottoms out.
    Frodo
    2015 Shiver
    New Zealand

apriliaforum newb
    Not 100% sure about the 900s, but the 750s (and 1200) shocks allegedly measure like so:

Shiver: 310 - 315 mm
    Dorso: 327 mm

The rear springrate of the Shiver 750 is 150 N / mm

Ohlins spec a 150 N / mm spring for the DD1200 as an aftermarket part (STX46).

If you straight swap a DD shock (the 1200 has more adjustment, nicer unit overall) then the rear will be about 35 - 40 mm higher with the same springrate and sag. There should be more than enough room for the extra suspension stroke.

The DD swinging arm setup reduces that height gain to only 10 mm, but the DD seat is 50 mm taller than a Shiver - so that extra 40 mm comes from the subframe and seat itself.

A taller / thicker seat may well be a better option if you don't want to upset the suspension geometry too much. An adjustable length shock could give you the height you need as well.

The Shiver 900 shock is part number B044563, which was also used on the 750s.
    The Dorsduro 900 shock is 856792, also fitted to the 750s.
    For completeness, the 1200: 898113
    Is the Shiver 900 shock identical to the Shiver 750 shock? Same exact fitting hardware?

I’m looking to get an aftermarket shock for my Shiver 900 but almost all the shocks I want only say Shiver 750 (SL750). Will these Shiver 750 shocks fit my 900?

apriliaforum expert
    My post states only that the 900 shock part number is the same part number found for (some later versions of) the 750. Unless the catalogue (found at AF1 racing's website) has a typo / mistake, I'd suggest they are the same, yes. I have not personally verified it, I'm afraid. One thing to bear in mind is that Aprilia did not spend money they didn't need to on this 900 - the mounting looks identical to me, even if the internal shock specs may not be.

If you're still concerned, any decent tuner can have one specced up to fit from a cooperative supplier / manufacturer. Perhaps enquire around and see if someone will measure yours up and custom order for a reasonable fee. That way you can also make sure you get the full 130 mm wheel travel, and not just a copy of the stroke dimension of the stock shock with nicer damping - that extra travel will work wonders.
    2009 Shiver (White) | UK

apriliaforum newb
    My post states only that the 900 shock part number is the same part number found for (some later versions of) the 750. Unless the catalogue (found at AF1 racing's website) has a typo / mistake, I'd suggest they are the same, yes. I have not personally verified it, I'm afraid. One thing to bear in mind is that Aprilia did not spend money they didn't need to on this 900 - the mounting looks identical to me, even if the internal shock specs may not be.

If you're still concerned, any decent tuner can have one specced up to fit from a cooperative supplier / manufacturer. Perhaps enquire around and see if someone will measure yours up and custom order for a reasonable fee. That way you can also make sure you get the full 130 mm wheel travel, and not just a copy of the stroke dimension of the stock shock with nicer damping - that extra travel will work wonders.
    Thanks for the reply. I’ve had my suspension turner spec the shock and try to get it custom made. None of the aftermarket manufacturers will make it due to liability reasons with this bike. It’s ridiculous. Mupo is the only one but they won’t make it with compression damping.

Do you know the approximate years the 750/900 shock part number are the same? I may be forced to buy a 750 aftermarket shock.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast