Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Results 16 to 30 of 31

Thread: Sad news: Seattle's Moto International Closing!

  1. #16
    apriliaforum expert rdbandkab's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    WV... Northern Panhandle
    Posts
    4,069
    A new "to riding" rider would never buy either brand. As the dealer said to us back in 2002, new riders will get one of the big 4. Only guys that know something about bikes will search out something special.
    02 aprilia Futura
    15 aprilia Caponord 1200

  2. #17
    apriliaforum expert
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Baltimore, Md
    Posts
    2,933
    Generally I agree. But lately there is a "Hipster" movement that involves people buying things they otherwise wouldn't buy to be seen as being "cool". And sadly Moto Guzzi is fitting into this movement with their retro V7, as the whole "Hipster" thing often involves retro stuff.
    But even a "Hipster" won't buy a Guzzi if there is no local dealer.
    Additionally, I am very disappointed in the Guzzi line up right now. Only a few years ago Guzzi had a nice line up that included a variety of bikes. Now they have far fewer options, and mainly centered in only a couple styles. If you want a cruiser, they have a couple versions of the same cruiser. Or it you want a medium sized retro bike that have a few options there. This new V85 TT is at least a step in the right direction. Perhaps they will eventually start offering some bikes for the rest of us. Until then.......

  3. #18
    apriliaforum Junkie freedomgli's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Posts
    466
    Quote Originally Posted by jared p View Post
    lack of dealer network is their main weakness. Italian way of doing business and American don't always work together apparently.
    Same with Alfa Romeo, Ferrari, etc. The Italian way of doing business is generally characterized as lazy, disorganized and arrogant, frustratingly mixed with streaks of brilliance. The customer is an afterthought, that is if thereís any customer consideration at all. Sadly itís ingrained in the culture and the deep-rooted corruption that permeates their society is a major contributor. The Italians do make some fine machines on occasion but damn if they arenít difficult to own.

    I own an Aprilia despite Piaggio. I own an Alfa Romeo despite FCA. I married an Italian woman despite the fact she drives me crazy. I travel to Italy regularly despite everything thatís terrible about it, because with the right attitude it really is a beautiful place to visit. I could just never live there.

    Thank goodness for AF1 Racing because without them I probably wouldnít own an Aprilia.

  4. #19
    apriliaforum expert rdbandkab's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    WV... Northern Panhandle
    Posts
    4,069
    I'm kind of surprised Pittsburgh doesn't have a aprilia/Guzzi/Vespa dealer somewhere. I mean there's hipster in Pittsburgh, I've seen em! Foot long beards with funky haircuts...but more geeky than motorhead looking.
    02 aprilia Futura
    15 aprilia Caponord 1200

  5. #20
    apriliaforum expert
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Baltimore, Md
    Posts
    2,933
    Quote Originally Posted by rdbandkab View Post
    I'm kind of surprised Pittsburgh doesn't have a aprilia/Guzzi/Vespa dealer somewhere. I mean there's hipster in Pittsburgh, I've seen em! Foot long beards with funky haircuts...but more geeky than motorhead looking.
    Yeah, being a hipster doesn't really have anything to do with being a "gearhead". But hipsters do seem to like retro, and sadly retro is a big part of what Guzzi does right now. Plus, Guzzi is clearly different. So I suppose that is another plus for the hipsters. How better to show how different you and all your buddies are than by you all riding MG V7's.
    Well, I hope Guzzi starts offering some new models for the rest of us sometime soon. But luckily I have enough Guzzi's to likely last me the rest of my life.

  6. #21
    apriliaforum expert rdbandkab's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    WV... Northern Panhandle
    Posts
    4,069
    Actually, I would have figured that the Pittsburgh area would be large enough to maintain a Guzzi following (hipster or not). I found out today that my nearest Guzzi dealer is in Accident, MD. I've dealt with them for my aprilia, but didn't realize they carried the Guzzi line. Only 2.5 hours away!
    02 aprilia Futura
    15 aprilia Caponord 1200

  7. #22
    apriliaforum Junkie
    Join Date
    Dec 2015
    Location
    Sydney
    Posts
    393
    Quote Originally Posted by GuzziMoto View Post
    .......... and sadly retro is a big part of what Guzzi does right now.
    Ok, why is this sad?
    Maybe I am too close to being 60 to see the real need for dumping their core strengths and challeging others in areas that they are really not conversant at.
    I own a Bellagio, and bought it because it does some things really well and some things quite poorly, and that to me defines character.

    I would prefer Guzzi to become all the Retro it can be but improve where it's possible, sales and service included.

    I am lucky here as I have Peter Roper & co servicing my bike, so can't complain on that front.

  8. #23
    apriliaforum expert
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Baltimore, Md
    Posts
    2,933
    Quote Originally Posted by Chris Wilson View Post
    Ok, why is this sad?
    Maybe I am too close to being 60 to see the real need for dumping their core strengths and challeging others in areas that they are really not conversant at.
    I own a Bellagio, and bought it because it does some things really well and some things quite poorly, and that to me defines character.

    I would prefer Guzzi to become all the Retro it can be but improve where it's possible, sales and service included.

    I am lucky here as I have Peter Roper & co servicing my bike, so can't complain on that front.
    It is sad to me to see a brand that used to actually be innovative and building bikes that broke new ground reduced to only building bikes that play to the past and other no innovation, nothing new. They are trading on their history, much as Harley Davidson used to. But even Harley now looks to the future. Moto Guzzi has had much better, much broader, line ups in the past. Only a few years ago they had a full line up. They will always be a smaller brand, but they could be so much better than they are right now.
    To me that is sad. In part because of the limited appeal it has to offer right now, and in part because that appeal will not last. At some point retro will no longer be fashionable. And hipsters will stop buying them.
    Offering a retro bike or two as part of a much broader line up, sure. Building building the bulk of your line up around retro, that is not the act of a forward looking company. That is a company that is going backwards.
    I am not saying they should not make the whole retro V7 deal. But it is sad to see that being one of only two current lines they offer.
    Since I have no interest in cruisers, and the retro V7 thing doesn't appeal to me (I already have an actual old Guzzi, I don't need one that is pretending to be old) there is not a Guzzi in the extremely limited current line up that I could / would buy. And I am not alone. That is, to me, sad.

  9. #24
    apriliaforum expert rdbandkab's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    WV... Northern Panhandle
    Posts
    4,069
    Cross your fingers for some interesting variants of the new 2v 850 lump. There are supposed to be a couple different "new" models with this engine?

    I'm hoping that they do something along the lines of a Breva-ish model (not that it has to look like the Breva of course). Minimal fairing, two-up capable, side bags included and trunk capable. Please let it NOT look retro!!!!

    And, of course, it all depends if I still have a dealer for purchasing said bike and/or servicing same.
    Last edited by rdbandkab; 12-28-2018 at 09:01 AM.
    02 aprilia Futura
    15 aprilia Caponord 1200

  10. #25
    apriliaforum prov-nov
    Join Date
    Jun 2017
    Location
    East Coast, US
    Posts
    77
    Quote Originally Posted by QuickHX View Post
    Boom! I agree, now if there was advertising and getting the word out, AND getting new or orphaned riders in the door!
    A good dealership network is a must for all three of those. Therein lies the Piaggio rub.

  11. #26
    apriliaforum prov-nov
    Join Date
    Jun 2017
    Location
    East Coast, US
    Posts
    77
    Quote Originally Posted by rdbandkab View Post
    A new "to riding" rider would never buy either brand. As the dealer said to us back in 2002, new riders will get one of the big 4. Only guys that know something about bikes will search out something special.
    As a new rider, my first bike was an Aprilia. Shivers make excellent first bikes.

    Second bike is a Moto Guzzi.

  12. #27
    apriliaforum expert QuickHX's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    Seattle, WA
    Posts
    2,806
    Quote Originally Posted by NewApriliaGuy View Post
    As a new rider, my first bike was an Aprilia. Shivers make excellent first bikes.

    Second bike is a Moto Guzzi.
    I've got it! Run ads:
    "You meet the nicest people on a Guzzi!" (aprilia, whatever...)
    --------------
    Throttle body settings: "It's more a philosophy than pure numbers." -Gabro

    Just call me 'Casino'; Liquor in the front, poker in the rear.
    Aw, heck - You mean what I know...

  13. #28
    apriliaforum expert
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Baltimore, Md
    Posts
    2,933
    Quote Originally Posted by QuickHX View Post
    I've got it! Run ads:
    "You meet the hipest people on a Guzzi!" (aprilia, whatever...)
    Fixed it for you....
    ;-)

  14. #29
    apriliaforum expert pete roper's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Posts
    6,536
    Quote Originally Posted by GuzziMoto View Post
    It is sad to me to see a brand that used to actually be innovative and building bikes that broke new ground reduced to only building bikes that play to the past and other no innovation, nothing new. They are trading on their history, much as Harley Davidson used to. But even Harley now looks to the future. Moto Guzzi has had much better, much broader, line ups in the past. Only a few years ago they had a full line up. They will always be a smaller brand, but they could be so much better than they are right now.
    To me that is sad. In part because of the limited appeal it has to offer right now, and in part because that appeal will not last. At some point retro will no longer be fashionable. And hipsters will stop buying them.
    Offering a retro bike or two as part of a much broader line up, sure. Building building the bulk of your line up around retro, that is not the act of a forward looking company. That is a company that is going backwards.
    I am not saying they should not make the whole retro V7 deal. But it is sad to see that being one of only two current lines they offer.
    Since I have no interest in cruisers, and the retro V7 thing doesn't appeal to me (I already have an actual old Guzzi, I don't need one that is pretending to be old) there is not a Guzzi in the extremely limited current line up that I could / would buy. And I am not alone. That is, to me, sad.
    Amen to that. It's why I'm looking hard at an SWM Superdual. Decent suspension, light, modernish motor, all the things the V85 isn't.

    Pete
    Professional Goat Burster.

  15. #30
    apriliaforum prov-nov jared p's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2014
    Location
    Seattle
    Posts
    81
    To be fair the V7 lineup is actually a great starter bike for people getting into riding, 45hp keeps em outta trouble and they enjoy the retro styling up here in Seattle anyway. Also, having many used bikes, is the bike any "new to riding" rider will buy. Nowadays it's about price point, and they're pretty inexpensive.
    Nun sacciu, nun vidi, nun ceru e si ceru durmiv

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Seattle's Moto International closing!
    By QuickHX in forum Aprilia News and Product Discussion
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 09-18-2018, 02:02 PM
  2. Anyone had any experience with Moto International in Seattle?
    By PumpinIron in forum General Motorcycle Talk
    Replies: 38
    Last Post: 02-08-2016, 06:39 PM
  3. Moto-Abruzzo Sad News
    By beasthonda in forum ETV1000 CapoNord (2001-2007)
    Replies: 14
    Last Post: 03-10-2015, 01:05 PM
  4. Mille owner from Seattle who's bike was at Moto International
    By Sabot in forum RSV1000 Mille, Mille R, and Mille SP (1998-2003)
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 10-09-2013, 11:17 PM
  5. Seattle's Moto International Dealer of the year
    By mossback in forum Aprilia News and Product Discussion
    Replies: 25
    Last Post: 12-13-2008, 03:25 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •