Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Worst Fuel Mileage Ever

apriliaforum expert High Country's Avatar
    My biggest issue is not the short fuel range. I knew that. It has been the same for the last 7 years. What surprised me was the sudden reduction of range/reserve. I think, like others have pointed out, is that I hit the perfect storm of change.

1. Flogging the bike reduces mileage.
    2. New tank is not swollen like the old one.
    3. New tank is lined.

This was the first time I pushed the limits since the new tank went on, so caught me off guard. I doubt they changed the amount of ethanol in the fuel. This was the same Chevron station I use all the time.

Like I said, my next task is to go run the Dorsoduro out of fuel while riding calmly, and make note of what mileage the low fuel light comes on. This will give me a best/worst case scenario to work with. I may need to start carrying my MSR fuel bottles on a more regular basis.

I may even break down and buy a couple of Giant Loop Gas Bags to put in the saddlebags. If I get them in 1-gallon size, then don't fill them all the way, they shouldn't be too heavy. Maybe just a single 2-gallon strapped to the passenger seat. I'll have to give it some thought.

2009 Aprilia Dosoduro 750 (Adventurized: http://www.apriliaforum.com/forums/a...893274&thumb=1)

apriliaforum prov-nov
    Quote Originally Posted by IndelibleInk View Post
    Of course removing the pump frees up space. Do you have proof that manufacturers spec fuel capacity without the pump in place? As an engineer, you must admit that would be pretty stupid and utterly unnecessary (even potentially extra work), except to mislead people. Has anyone measured the actual capacity of these tanks? Genuinely interested.

Saying that, my largest fill-up was over 14 litres, in a (nominal) 14.5 litre tank. I've never actually run out, though.

I think you might have (used) the density factor wrong; "jet fuel" and n-hexane alike will exhibit a change of up to 5% (depending on the starting density for the fuel mixture) over a 50 degree (C / K) range. Adding 5% alcohol is unlikely to change that by much, since it exhibits a similar change in density itself, if not greater.
    https://www.quora.com/How-much-more-...degree-weather
    Although yes, you are absolutely right when it comes to it being stupid, I've always attributed it to ''ducati weight''. If you're unfamiliar with that term, it came into existance because Duc, at a certain point in time, weighed their bikes without fluids, battery or even tyres. It's somewhere along the line of ''yeah it's technically okay but it's a dick move''.
    People in this thread have had varying volumes to tank.
    https://www.apriliaforum.com/forums/...-Fuel-Capacity
    I've gotten the same thing when I measured volumes of fuel tanks. I'm in the process of doing calculations to make a CF subframe and tank and have been looking at both the 1200 and 750 tank for volumes. The theoretical 15 L of a 1200 seems nice on a 750. I tested it with a measuring cup and damaged fuel tanks that I plugged to do volume testing with, although they were dried and patched, I have gotten between 12L and 12,3L from them. It's unfortunate that I haven't gotten my hands on a brand new tank as PA6 doesn't contract 100% back to its original shape (and volume). I'll put up a thread about it when I'm done although the CF fun will probably be during the winter storage.
    You're correct on the expansion, I used the pieces the following pieces while trying to attend a lecture about glaucoma. One of them is truly ancient, the other is more recent. I actually managed to misread them but assuming delta volume = beta * V0 * delta temperature (in C) and specific coefficient of thermal expansion I'd get 0.846% expansion for every 10 degrees C assuming 20 degrees C (room temperature) as a starting point. I shouldn't do math on a smartphone lol.
    https://nvlpubs.nist.gov/nistpubs/jr...6p1133_A2b.pdf
    http://iopscience.iop.org/article/10...4/1/012001/pdf
    Last edited by Vreyara; 09-17-2018 at 01:31 PM.

apriliaforum Junkie
    I was looking into extra fuel containers, doing long journeys in a group with cars marks me out cleanly as the weak link in terms of required frequency of stops. I was tempted by one of those aux tanks you connect to the main tank's vent line. I'd likely only spill all the fuel if I had to manually transfer it...

Vreyara, I'd love to see how you get on with those CF parts. I thought about the DD1200 tank, but it surely won't fit a Shiver, since the frame, airbox and bodywork are all different. It's only 20 miles extra range anyway. A carbon tank would offset the extra weight of a litre or so of fuel whilst a carbon airbox with a forward feed through the frame would be the icing on the cake. I might try making a carbon bashplate for my 250 and see where I go from there...
    2009 Shiver (White) | UK

apriliaforum expert High Country's Avatar
    The extra fuel containers (or most other auxiliary tanks) still require a stop, so won't help with those dirty looks from the BMW adventure bike guys.

Still, at least I wouldn't be stranded. A lot of my riding area has zero phone reception, too.
    2009 Aprilia Dosoduro 750 (Adventurized: http://www.apriliaforum.com/forums/a...893274&thumb=1)

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12