Thread: My Capo drains current fast with ignition on, where to look?

Unhappy My Capo drains current fast with ignition on, where to look?

Hi, after the season almost gone without finding any fault or reason for what is draining my Capo battery when ignition is on, I turn to you all for help and ideas. It started this early spring by no working starter (it did not turn, but burned energy fast, draining battery). New starter, new starer relay, new ground cable, new and extra postive current cable to starter was done. The starter turned and started the engine, but the curent kept draining the battery fast. I have disconnected the starting system (relay and starter), disconnected the regulator/charger, disconnected light relay, all other relays i can find and tried the ignition on, but the current still drains the battery fast..., in a few seconds it goes from 13V to 9. And it will not start (not enough current). The battery was new last autumn, not really used except for a month last year wher everything worked fine. I am out of ideas...
    Tor
    2016 Scrambler Ducati "Black Icon"
    2006 ETV 1000 Caponord
    1974 MotoGuzzi 850T w/Heddingham Sport sidecar
    1986 MotoGuzzi 850T5 w/sidecar

I'd try a car battery on long leads so you can see if it's the battery as bike batteries on big twins are a struggle if it's still going down in voltage feel with your hands along the loom for heat if you can get hold of a inferred heat gun you can trace the loom for a hot spot that's where you may have a short

Quote Originally Posted by haga lout View Post
    I'd try a car battery on long leads so you can see if it's the battery as bike batteries on big twins are a struggle if it's still going down in voltage feel with your hands along the loom for heat if you can get hold of a inferred heat gun you can trace the loom for a hot spot that's where you may have a short
    Thank you, good ideas to try out...
    Tor
    2006 ETV 1000 Caponord

Quote Originally Posted by RRSV View Post
    Thank you, good ideas to try out...
    If it's a folt in the loom try lookin in the u bend of loom on right hand side that's where all the earths are and in some looms water gets trapped there check for a hole in outer plastic of loom if not there before you go ferther open up loom and check it's a idea to put a volt meater inline with the car battary when testing pull all fuses and with key off there should be no volt drop put fuses in one at a time till you see volt drop from that you can work out where to look next good hunting

apriliaforum Member
    Get one of those ampmeters that use a regular fuse and connect it between the positive cabke and the battery. That way you'll know exactly how much the drain is and that can give you an idea where to look.

With that same little meter you can easily connect it at various places leading away the battery to find out where the drain source is. The meters are pretty inexpensive. It has a little prong on it that can be plugged into any fuse holder to quickly ID through which fuse the drain passes or eliminate them in the other case.

Its one of the handiest devices for tracking down parasitic drain problems I've tried and easier to use than a multi-meter. Unlike stick prongs and clips, these are a no hands operation when checking current draw and small enough to stick under the seat. While designed to plug directly into fuse holders, it's easy to add clips or stick prongs if you need them. The good thing is that it uses standard fuses unlike most multimeters.

https://m.harborfreight.com/30-amp-a...kduckgo.com%2F
    Last edited by CapoEVT; 09-13-2018 at 11:08 AM.

Thank you! Change of battery solved it all! A short in the battery (10 months old) that only showed by the huge voltage drop when ingition was on, was the cause of the season in the workshop for my Capo. Problem solved!
    Tor
    2006 ETV 1000 Caponord

Quote Originally Posted by RRSV View Post
    Thank you! Change of battery solved it all! A short in the battery (10 months old) that only showed by the huge voltage drop when ingition was on, was the cause of the season in the workshop for my Capo. Problem solved!
    I have a box of bad Yuasa's. What you describe is not unusual. I went with the Deka/Pen Big Crank. Narry an issue with those. Glad you got it sorted.
    06' Caponord