Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Vailons new RS 50 build

apriliaforum Member
    I had 2 mas cylinders with the bike 1 fitted and 1 on the doner bike both aren't great 1 i was told was leaking a little and 1 was fine but i had a mas cyl from a 250lc and its brand new so i fitted that today using 2 stainless bolts on the clamp and i used a stainless bolt from a 350lc back light fitting kit that just about fitted no space for a bolt on the back but i think it will be ok . may be it wont be ok once the faring is fitted could be the one fitted it so slim for a reason to miss the faring but we will see, for now its fitted and looks great . I got in some new seals for the sprocket and clutch arm and clutch arm washer and a clutch ball. i got my son to fit the new clutch plats and steels and springs . The old ones were fine but we got a new set with the bike so what the hell may as well fit them i thought. I all so got in some stainless engine fitting bolts and some stainless self tappers to fit the carbon front the one's ones were rusty and you cant get new and frankley i like to fit st/st any way as i don't like rusty bolts

Titanium doesn't rust either

Great Father / Son bonding project !! you're gonna need a second bike to ride with !
    =My Iron Maiden=
    1999 Aprilia RS50
    Doppler endo crank
    Barnett Clutch
    Stage6 24mm PWK clone w/powerjet
    Pre-mixing Trick 101 octane / Motul 800 @38:1
    Top Performance 8 petal Reed Block w/ Stuffer
    Top Performance TPR aluminum, 50 mm piston, 1 ring
    Yasuni R2 Carbon Exhaust
    13/43 final gearing
    AF1 spring upgrade & 'Martin77 / Mattology' preload adjusters
    DNM 'MT-Bag' 3 way adjustable rear shock absorber
    Mitas MC50 tyres
    Brembo RCS 14 front master / NG rotors / Ferodo pads

apriliaforum Member
    Nipped in the shed for 10 mins today paint striper on the horrid purple barrel and head Wire wheel it all of wash in the sink and spray with heat paint .
    Looks lovely now. Hopefully I will get my son to fit it at the weekend may be get it fitted and fit the rad as well .

Ill fit a nice stainless steel bolt to block of the carb water pipe feed and ill polish the brass temp gauge

apriliaforum Member
    Not layed a finger on it in a while now . I did tell my son if hes not doing it nether an i , so the head & barrel still hasn't been fitted , but i did mod the piston a little to improve performance , with any luck we will move on a little this weekend .

What was the modification to the piston? BTW the pin hole looks oblong in this photo.
    1999 RS 50
    unknown brand 80 cc BBK cast iron
    LeoVince V6 pipe
    Dellorto Phbg 21 mm cs carb
    Oil pump deleted ... Premix 32:1 Motul 800 racing oil
    12:44 gearing
    Sava MC18 tires

Quote Originally Posted by ransamuels View Post
    What was the modification to the piston? BTW the pin hole looks oblong in this photo.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	piston-hole.jpg 
Views:	25 
Size:	33.0 KB 
ID:	368477

This would make sense to me if the bike was a piston port, but being case induction I really don't see the advantage. Hopefully he can clarify.

apriliaforum Member
    TZR 125s are case ported but they have the bottom of of the piston cut away in an arch this configuration give more bottom end and mid range but a little less revs top end . The TZR125 is a bigger cc then an RD 125LC that has a piston ported motor . If you fit a tzr piston in a RD it will loos a few hundred RPM top end but will in cress the bottom end and move the power down the same few hundred rpm,

This piston mod I have done on other bikes of the same set up with good results and all thou i have not done it to a RS 50 i meshed the ports and this is in the correct place to the mm . it will make the bike far better for my son to ride .

Cool

Thanks for the update. I look forward to hearing about how it runs when you get it all together. So far it's looking great!

apriliaforum Member
    Well we did get a little more done this Sunday just a few hours but I got my son to clean up the casings and fit the gaskets fir the head and barrels and attach the all the covers, we used all stainless steel bolts for the covers so nothing will rust and they will look nice even if you can see them behind the faring . Then he fitted it in the frame using 3 stainless steel bolts with stainless washers and nylocks .

I was getting little stressed as I couldn’t fines and springs for the pipe and didn’t want to fit some zinc ones but luckily I found some stainless springs that fitted.

And last of he fitted the double rad we cleaned and painted from the donor bike to the newly powder coated bracket it its in. I just need some advice on were the starter motor plugs in to now .

Shame this thread has ended. Has been inspiring for my new project and just when we're approaching the climax everything shuts down.
    2005 Aprilia RSV1000R Factory / 2006 Aprilia RS50 / 2001 Aprilia RS50
    2007 MV F4 1000R
    2004 CBR1000RR Fireblade / 2011 CBR1000RR Fireblade / 2018 CBR1000RR Fireblade SP2

1985 Honda VF1000R / 1985 Honda NS400R

apriliaforum Member
    A short walk round vid of the bike this morning not finished but not far off now

https://youtu.be/AZpEcER3njM

Its practically all together now all the lights work etc. Its fitted with a solid cell %20 more power battery . I haven’t fitted the faring yet not until I can get it running right

We bled the brakes last weekend and fitted and attached the brake like switches and a nice mas cyl top. The back brake was a bitch to do but we did it in the end By removing them and working the air out by turning them up side down and knocking them it just wouldn't do it fitted. I didn't have any st/st bleed nipples so just cleaned down the old ones but it just bothered me that the hole bike was st/st bolts and such a good standard and it had some old crappy bleed bolts i had to order in 2 st/st ones and fitted to new rubber caps with them and re bled them a little after replacing them . OCD just was to much to ignore .

We added the water to the rad and oil in the engine. and the new mas cyl top and its now good for a test run

I did tell him he has to do the work on the bike and thats why it has taken so long to get to this point . Ill tell him what to do but he has to do it all so its his build . I should have just done it realy had it built in a few weeks tested it and he would have been on it ages back now . He'll be blood 17 in sep LOL . so we will be selling this soon shame after all the work. But assuming we get it running right it will be one out standing bike

As well as fitting the double wide rad f that was fitted to the doner bike I have fitted a fan to the rad for any very hot days and to me on the safe side . it works on a led switch so the rider will know when its on .

The tap that was fitted didn’t have a reserve and was a very small flow rate so I fitted a gen yam Rd125LC one. It looks better has a reserve and will feed a bigger car better for the bog bore motor fitted
    Last edited by vailon; 07-03-2019 at 06:15 AM.

Poppycock!

Quote Originally Posted by vailon View Post
    He'll be blood 17 in sep LOL . so we will be selling this soon shame after all the work.
    If you had said, well his skill level has advanced to the point where this bike is totally irrelevant than yeah maybe, but dumping a bike just because of turning 17 is truly a silly reason. These bikes are viable your entire riding life. Even Valintino Rossi still rides a small two stroke with a Derbi engine in it. 👍

apriliaforum Member
    I hear what your saying with insurance being what it is for a 125 i have all ready told him he may have to keep it until he is 18 then he will have 2 years no claim's and it should still be good for a good 60MPH so will be able to ride along nicely on the roads round us. Its had a lot ow work on it and i think its practically show standard now only let down by the original paint it came with . But thats not to bad just not a patch on the rest of bike. Well we will have to see its not running right right now with the carb fitted so if i cant fix it ill have to try the carbs it came with see if 1 is a good one and if not ill just get brand new one think they are about £75
    Last edited by vailon; 07-04-2019 at 03:27 AM.

To See the Future

Quote Originally Posted by vailon View Post
    I hear what your saying with insurance being what it is for a 125 i have all ready told him he may have to keep it until he is 18 then he will have 2 years no claim's, and it should still be good for a good 60MPH so will be able to ride along nicely on the roads round us. Its had a lot of work on it, and I think its practically show standard now only let down by the original paint it came with, but that's not too bad just not a patch on the rest of bike. Well we will have to see its not running right right now with the carb fitted so if i cant fix it ill have to try the carbs it came with see if 1 is a good one and if not ill just get brand new one think they are about £75
    It's very easy to mod these bikes to do 65 mph, and not hard to get them to go over 70. With some of the kits like the 2Fast 100cc (which does get expensive) they have the same feel as the 125cc bikes (or at least my Red Rocket with the 2Fast feels a lot like my Mito 125). The idea being that the bike can develop as the rider's ability increases. And there are numerous other upgrades available for the chassis as well—I highly recommend upgrading the brakes if you mod the bike to go faster.

Decal sets for most of the RS liveries are available for reasonable prices so you could probably get the bike looking as nice as you would like. As for carbs, if you are going to replace what is on there the new Polini CP carbs are quite nice, easy to tune, and have good performance. Probably the best way to go for under 24mm carbs.

However, even the stock bike is very difficult to out grow. Most people I see riding are not rider enough to out ride the RS50/GPR bikes. Sure they can go faster in a straight line, but that's really not illustrating their ability to ride a bike—more like an expression of how stupid they can be, where as how well they can ride through the twisties, well that's going to illustrate their riding abilities, and here is where I very rarely see people that have enough skill to out ride these bikes.

apriliaforum Member
    The carb looks like some of the one i have . Ill have to try them at the weekend . Im not interested in making the bike faster i just want it run well and keep up with traffic. so ill be happy if i can just get it running Correct

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast