Thread: Is there a fuel-level display after "- -"?

apriliaforum prov-nov

Is there a fuel-level display after "- -"?

I seem to recall reading somewhere that the fuel gauge will read "0 0" when it's really close to empty (if you've been ignoring the yellow light and the "- -" for too long). But I don't want to carry a gallon gas can around just to test the theory. Has anybody seen this, or is my faulty memory just inventing things?

apriliaforum prov-nov
    Well, after a substantial withdrawal from the Bank of Karma, I can say that the answer is "probably not."

I ran out of gas just as I turned into the station this morning, with the display still reading "- -". I had to push about 10 ft. to the pump, and it took 5.185 US gallons.

I get terrible mileage around town -- 31.5 this tank, but I've seen as low as high 28s. On the road at supralegal speeds, I can count on 45, and have gotten over 50 occasionally.

Yessir! Once the fuel level sender reached its limit, the display defaults to --, with the low fuel light on. I did the same experiment a while back, checking how mush actual range I have once the fuel light illuminates...with a 1 gallon can in the saddlebag that afternoon.

If the sensor goes bad, you'll have an "88" in the quantity display, this corresponds to an open circuit fault in the wiring or sensor. I did note that the yellow light can also flash instead of a steady light.

Bob