Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Fuel Line/Clamps Alternative

apriliaforum prov-nov wharvey28's Avatar

Fuel Line/Clamps Alternative

Noticed a fuel leak by the clamp where the fuel line connects to the injector and possibly at the fuel rail as well. About 1/3 cup of fuel drained out of the airbox after starting the other day. Wondering if any one has recommendations/success or horror stories with non OEM clamps or fuel lines? And if the best way to tackle this is to just replace clamps or replace fuel lines as well?

Thanks in advance!

There was a tech note long ago that had the service centers replacing those clamps with the next size down due to line shrinkage and leaks forming. They also shortened the main fuel line and added an insulating sleeve on the same tech note, I believe.

I like the OEM clamps better than any screw type clamp because they produce even pressure all the way around the line. Screw clamps have poor performance on small lines IMO.

Figured that'd be the case. Looks like they come in a kit, PN: AP9101014, that per AF1 will ship in 6-8 weeks so I was looking to see if anyone has been using something else that gets the job done. Any chance you know the fuel line OD?

No idea off of the top of my head, but if you are looking at the parts fiche for that part number you need to be careful. There seems to be too many part number "11" locations on the fiche...

I would have to try and find the tech notice again to see if they specified the size of the new clamps, but I believe the fuel supply line is supposed to be 14.5mm OD. The airbox interconnect lines are a little smaller.

Tech communication 2008-004 Expanded PDI dealt with the fuel line issue. It had dealers remove 110mm from the fuel line to make the overall length from the airbox to the fitting become 340mm, install the insulator and replace the two 16.8mm clamps on the interconnecting fuel line between the injectors with 16.5mm clamps.

apriliaforum expert
    I have used proper Fuel Injection screw clamps with good results...

Awesome, thanks for the info guys. I'll get my hands on some fuel injection screw clamps and see what happens.

SXVINWA, where did you find the Tech Communication? I tried searching around and couldn't find anything. Just looking for future reference and I'm bored at work.

I had a friend working at the local dealership when they carried Aprilia that would let me get copies of the tech comms. He is long gone and they no longer carry Aprilia, so I don’t have everything up to the end of production.

Quote Originally Posted by wharvey28 View Post
    Figured that'd be the case. Looks like they come in a kit, PN: AP9101014, that per AF1 will ship in 6-8 weeks so I was looking to see if anyone has been using something else that gets the job done. Any chance you know the fuel line OD?
    From the photos online those look like Oetiker single-ear "o-clamps". You'll need a tool to fit them, but they are the bee's knees (assuming you don't need to remove the very often!) The same clamps are used in the beverage dispensing industry, I've discovered recently (I'm setting up a home soda dispensing system), so I've finally invested in a proper Oetiker side-jaw pliers and an assortment of o-clamps. They're available in a multitude of sizes.

Ciao,
    JZH

London, UK/So.Cal., USA
    www.vsource.org

They are “Clic-r” brand clamps. They are the best clamps I’ve used and I have made my own tool to set / release them. I find them to be super easy and fast to use. The only two things I find negative about them is that they have a very small range per size and nobody local carries them!

I stand corrected, kind sir. They appear to be similar to, but not identical to, o-clamps.

Ciao,
    JZH

London, UK/So.Cal., USA
    www.vsource.org

apriliaforum Junkie belfast blaster's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by SXVINWA View Post
    They are “Clic-r” brand clamps. They are the best clamps I’ve used and I have made my own tool to set / release them. I find them to be super easy and fast to use. The only two things I find negative about them is that they have a very small range per size and nobody local carries them!
    I have to change fuel line between bottom of tank and airbox, the fuel line penetrates the airbox and is secured inside with the Clic-r clamp? how do i remove clic-r without special tool and can it be re used?

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

Yes; there is a clic-r clamp on each end of the hose. They are reusable and can be popped open with a screwdriver and closed again with some pliers and a screwdriver, but the correct tool is a lot easier. A home-made tool is not too difficult to make from some old pliers if you have access to some cutting tools for hardened steel.

apriliaforum Junkie belfast blaster's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by SXVINWA View Post
    Yes; there is a clic-r clamp on each end of the hose. They are reusable and can be popped open with a screwdriver and closed again with some pliers and a screwdriver, but the correct tool is a lot easier. A home-made tool is not too difficult to make from some old pliers if you have access to some cutting tools for hardened steel.
    Is the removal of the airbox clamp doable in-situ ?

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

That depends on the angle at which it was installed. Most likely you will be able to pop it off. Getting it back on will be the tricky part.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast