Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Rs4 50 2018 aftermarket exhaust and upgrades

It does look like it will plug right in, and it doesn't make any sense that they would have a different system on the motards, but they use to install a Lincoln ignition on the Sendas, and a Ducati ignition on the GPRs, so it might be worth doing some more research. Especially since they don't mention that unit being compatible with the RS4.

Could you pull the clutch side cover off of the engine so we can take a look at the stator? You have to remove the shifter to get it off.

apriliaforum prov-nov
    Hi I think it could.. Will let you know when I Do it. Will also take a pic of the stator. Thanks

apriliaforum prov-nov
    Ok that was a fail. The cdi unit fitted. The bike started and was running fine and sounded as it could rev past 7k. Took it down the road and it died. Didn't want to start again.swopped over the cdi unit and it was fine.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20180731_094053.jpg 
Views:	20 
Size:	526.7 KB 
ID:	364030

Quote Originally Posted by Berkeley View Post
    Ok that was a fail. The cdi unit fitted. The bike started and was running fine and sounded as it could rev past 7k. Took it down the road and it died. Didn't want to start again.swopped over the cdi unit and it was fine.
    Well you tried it.

You may have to just switch out ignitions on the bike. Post a photo of the stator/flywheel it may help in determining which way to go.

apriliaforum prov-nov
    Quote Originally Posted by ToraTora View Post
    Well you tried it.

You may have to just switch out ignitions on the bike. Post a photo of the stator/flywheel it may help in determining which way to go.
    By some coincidence the Aprilia cdi unit popped up in stock on the website so grabbed that and will install today when it arrives. Also got confirmation that the jolly moto exhaust fits on the 2018 model..so ordered that. Seems the most expensive at 430 euros compared to all the others but only one that's been confirmed to fit.

...... from jolly moto..
    So, with the stock system the bike is blocked at 7000 Rpm, with the Jollymoto pipe it works until 9000 Rpm but there is a limit in the electronic brain.
    After changing the brain with JM pipe could reach 12000 RPM with a big power gain.

Let's see what improvement we get!

apriliaforum prov-nov
    I will look online but what should the spark plug gap be for the rs50? Any ideas????

apriliaforum prov-nov
    So new cdi unit fitted.. still revs til around 7000 and a bit more. Going down a very big hill gets to 9000... so seems less restricted then before
    ....just need the power... lacking a lot there.. exhaust next

There's probably a restrictor in your exhaust. I ran into this problem once with a pipe that I got from a friend. It had a header that mounted on the cylinder, and inside it was a restrictor. The "pipe" didn't. The bike would get to just before it would get on the pipe, and that was it. I was totally boggled. I finally gave up, took it off the bike, and that's when I discovered the restrictor. lolz Once removed it worked great, until I tried to put the plastics on, and found it was incompatible with them. I was miffed because that pipe worked really well. I ended up putting an Arrow pipe on the bike. I really like the sound of the Arrow. Performance is okay, and fine for the bike that it's on.

I got an email from the system here saying that you tried to PM me. My mailbox is full again, and I haven't had a chance to clear it out. This happens quite a bit as people ask me a bunch of questions. You can also reach me on GPR Camp. I pretty much check that one everyday.

apriliaforum prov-nov
    Cool will do.. I think the exhaust is heavily restricted .... so let's see with the new one. After that then a 70/80 cc cylinder carb and air filter.. any other mods and in what order to upgrade then pls let me know cheers

Thumbs up

Yeah there's actually no limit to where you can go. This is why it's a good idea to think about the goal and design a system around that goal. You don't have to get all the parts at the same time, you can add them as your go, but the performance wont be realized until the entire system is in place. Looking through the project threads I a great way to learn, and develop ideas.

apriliaforum prov-nov
    Yeah there's actually no limit to where you can go. This is why it's a good idea to think about the goal and design a system around that goal. You don't have to get all the parts at the same time, you can add them as your go, but the performance wont be realized until the entire system is in place. Looking through the project threads I a great way to learn, and develop ideas.
    are there any good pre jetted carbs for a 70cc you can recommend? Thanks

apriliaforum Junkie

apriliaforum prov-nov
    Cheers

On my bikes with 80ish or more cc street bikes I tend to run a 24mm PWK. It's a really good carb design that works quite fantastic with two strokes. I use to buy the Metrakit version, but those are no longer available. Recently Polini introduced a line of PWKs, and I have since started buying those.

For smaller cc bikes I use to use the Dellorto PHBG carbs. They are quite a well proven, and well respected carb. You'll see these on a lot of builds. However, recently Polini also introduced their new CP carb. I picked up a 21mm CP carb to see how it performs. I have it installed on a Derbi EBE075 engine with a stock 75cc top end. I like the carb quite a bit, and I've been quite happy with it. Because of this for my 50cc track bike I picked up a 23mm CP carb. I had a bit of trouble with the manufacturing quality with this carb, but Treats swapped out the first one for me. The second one had issue with the slide. After a bit of filing on the slide, and now it's working quite well. The Del PHBG employs a plastic slide, and the Polini CP employs a metal slide.

For your bike a 17.5-21mm carb is probably viable depending on what kind of riding you want to do, and the other parts you intend to source for the bike.

If you go for the PHBG get the racing version because of the access port for the main jet. If you get the CP carb get the optional float bowl with the main jet access port.

Also, buy good jets. It makes no sense to spend thousands of dollars on a bike only to cheap out by a dollar or two and get cheap ass jets when the entire experience of the bike is effected by this one small inexpensive part. I now buy the Polini jet kits. You get an assortment of ten quality jets in a nice case, and the quality is quite high.

As to pre-jetted. All the carbs come with some standard jetting, but there are so many variables with these bikes that there's no way to have a preset jetting sold for them. Jetting is one skill that we all have to develop. Yes it can be tricky, but it's not beyond your ability to learn.

apriliaforum prov-nov
    On my bikes with 80ish or more cc street bikes I tend to run a 24mm PWK. It's a really good carb design that works quite fantastic with two strokes. I use to buy the Metrakit version, but those are no longer available. Recently Polini introduced a line of PWKs, and I have since started buying those.

For smaller cc bikes I use to use the Dellorto PHBG carbs. They are quite a well proven, and well respected carb. You'll see these on a lot of builds. However, recently Polini also introduced their new CP carb. I picked up a 21mm CP carb to see how it performs. I have it installed on a Derbi EBE075 engine with a stock 75cc top end. I like the carb quite a bit, and I've been quite happy with it. Because of this for my 50cc track bike I picked up a 23mm CP carb. I had a bit of trouble with the manufacturing quality with this carb, but Treats swapped out the first one for me. The second one had issue with the slide. After a bit of filing on the slide, and now it's working quite well. The Del PHBG employs a plastic slide, and the Polini CP employs a metal slide.

For your bike a 17.5-21mm carb is probably viable depending on what kind of riding you want to do, and the other parts you intend to source for the bike.

If you go for the PHBG get the racing version because of the access port for the main jet. If you get the CP carb get the optional float bowl with the main jet access port.

Also, buy good jets. It makes no sense to spend thousands of dollars on a bike only to cheap out by a dollar or two and get cheap ass jets when the entire experience of the bike is effected by this one small inexpensive part. I now buy the Polini jet kits. You get an assortment of ten quality jets in a nice case, and the quality is quite high.

As to pre-jetted. All the carbs come with some standard jetting, but there are so many variables with these bikes that there's no way to have a preset jetting sold for them. Jetting is one skill that we all have to develop. Yes it can be tricky, but it's not beyond your ability to learn.
    Thanks for the info.. finally ripped out that poor excuse for an exhaustClick image for larger version. 

Name:	20180804_170252.jpg 
Views:	31 
Size:	523.9 KB 
ID:	364335
    Last edited by Berkeley; 08-04-2018 at 01:34 PM.

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast