Thread: Need Help getting 2003 Caponord started.

apriliaforum newb

Need Help getting 2003 Caponord started.

Greetings,

After two years after the birth of my daughter, I have decided to put the Capo back on the road. I removed the fuel tank cleaned it as well as replaced the fuel pump and filter. I am getting a code 1 fault code. I have checked the kill switch and only try to start the bike in neutral. The bike is on a center stand with the side stand stowed. I have reset the ECU connectors to know avail. I also checked the tip over switch since my bike got blown over during high winds here in Texas. There is spark at the plugs as well. Any suggestions to help with my troubleshooting will be greatly appreciated. Thanks for any help

Error code (1) is a normal indication of the kill switch in run position. Do you hear the fuel pump prime on key on, and the IACV valve movement on key off? Does it crank when you hit the starter switch?
    2002 Capo Wilbers rear shock, Wilbers front progressive springs, Metal fuel connectors, polaris sh775 series regulator direct wired, silicone vacuum lines, catfish map, CNC clutch slave, autoelectrics coils (2)sides, Triumph Denso 3990's centers, k&n air filter, all LED lighting, SS brake and clutch lines, Givi tall screen, Triumph tiger 955i mirrors, dual horns. Pure copper 4 gauge battery cables. Rox risers.

Honest always, feared often Micah / AF1 Racing's Avatar
    May seem silly...but, tip-over switch is minted correctly yes?

ANY resurrection requires all new spark plugs too...use noid lights to make sure injectors are getting firing signal ($20, any auto parts store or make your own for envies) and make sure spark is actually occurring. Or do dead simple test, unplug idle air controller hoses, shoot some flammable liquid in each one and put hoses back on. If it starts you may then need to clean injectors. 9-12V battery, coil tester or patience with triggering by hand while injectors are in ulatrasonic tank at 60C will do about the same job as my $2.5k injectors cleaning machine.

You existing error of 1 means nothing. Even on Navi, Axone or PADS those bikes seldom self report accurate data for real diagnostic purposes
    Diminished expectations is the key to happiness in life.

Micah Shoemaker
    AF1 Racing
    9900 IH35N
    Austin, TX 78753
    micah@af1racing.com
    @ShoemakerMicah
    @AF1Racingaustin

apriliaforum newb
    Quote Originally Posted by bkmo View Post
    Error code (1) is a normal indication of the kill switch in run position. Do you hear the fuel pump prime on key on, and the IACV valve movement on key off? Does it crank when you hit the starter switch?
    Thanks for the reply. Yes, I do hear the fuel pump and it the bike makes not attempt at starting that is was concerned that there may be something else. I do smell a little of the stale gas so I thought there still may be some left in the throttle body. I got bit by the spark plug when I removed one to see if there was a spark so at least one is alive. I had just replaced plugs before I stopped riding. What I did find was the tank vent nipples clogged with a white powered substance which caused me to clean the tank and replace the pump just in case the pump had gotten clogged.

apriliaforum newb
    Quote Originally Posted by Micah / AF1 Racing View Post
    May seem silly...but, tip-over switch is minted correctly yes?

ANY resurrection requires all new spark plugs too...use noid lights to make sure injectors are getting firing signal ($20, any auto parts store or make your own for envies) and make sure spark is actually occurring. Or do dead simple test, unplug idle air controller hoses, shoot some flammable liquid in each one and put hoses back on. If it starts you may then need to clean injectors. 9-12V battery, coil tester or patience with triggering by hand while injectors are in ulatrasonic tank at 60C will do about the same job as my $2.5k injectors cleaning machine.

You existing error of 1 means nothing. Even on Navi, Axone or PADS those bikes seldom self report accurate data for real diagnostic purposes
    Thanks for your reply, I did check the tip over switch and checked its functionality. It seamed to be working correctly. I even removed the connector to check to check to see if an error would be reported. A 41 reported indicating that it was. I did think to replace all of the plugs since I had replaced them before I stopped riding but will at your suggestion as well as try injecting the carb starting fluid. Just need some time and cooler days . Nothing like 100 degree weather to put a damper on working outside. Doesn't stop me from riding my bicycle though.

Honest always, feared often Micah / AF1 Racing's Avatar
    Disconnect and reconnect ecu connections to scrub off any pin corrosion, worked on a bike recently for me. Is fuel pump coming on? If so remove return line and see what fuel pressure max is. Could be dirty fuel delivery items, a pump or electric issues.
    Diminished expectations is the key to happiness in life.

Micah Shoemaker
    AF1 Racing
    9900 IH35N
    Austin, TX 78753
    micah@af1racing.com
    @ShoemakerMicah
    @AF1Racingaustin

apriliaforum newb
    OK, so far I have emptied and clean my fuel tank; removed and clean injectors; replaced fuel pump and filter; replaced spark plugs; disconnected and reseated ECU connecters; check tilt/cut-off switch; new battery; this list is still growing. The engine turns over with no issue and turns faster when the throttle is twisted. I am thinking that it is not getting fuel. I do hear the fuel pump engage and there is fuel going back in the return line. Sprayed a little engine start in throttle body and there was sign of life. Could this be the signs of a bad, clogged fuel regulator? There is fuel in the tank .

How did you check that fuel flows in the return line?
    2001 RST Futura in stream Silver.
    Mods: Modified Öhlins fork from mille R, EBC brake discs, HEL front brakelines, Carbon RS 250 front fender, Wiring mod for charging. Engine related:05 map, Iridium plugs, tuneboy, derestriced intake, old mille airboot, staintunes exhaust. Lambda bung hardbrazed in the "breadbox". Öhlins mille R rear shock with 110N/mm spring and the integrated hydraulic preload adjuster. LED Voltmeter installed inside the dash for monitoring charging. Duc 999 radial m/c for brake and clutch. EBC 320mm brake discs
    NWS hugger. Equipment: Famsa tankbag,
    CBR 600 -07 MOSFET R&R FH008EE providing stable 14.4 - 14.5 V (with my wiring mod). Daytona heated grips with mccoi pwm controller and automatic chain oiler

apriliaforum newb
    I just disconnected it with the tank raised. Nothing really scientific. Based on your question, there maybe a special way of doing this.

Fuel was coming out from the return line coupling which is connected to the tank?

You need to make sure that fuel is coming out from the qd coupling connected to the throttlebody when the pump runs like during the first seconds after ignition ON.
    2001 RST Futura in stream Silver.
    Mods: Modified Öhlins fork from mille R, EBC brake discs, HEL front brakelines, Carbon RS 250 front fender, Wiring mod for charging. Engine related:05 map, Iridium plugs, tuneboy, derestriced intake, old mille airboot, staintunes exhaust. Lambda bung hardbrazed in the "breadbox". Öhlins mille R rear shock with 110N/mm spring and the integrated hydraulic preload adjuster. LED Voltmeter installed inside the dash for monitoring charging. Duc 999 radial m/c for brake and clutch. EBC 320mm brake discs
    NWS hugger. Equipment: Famsa tankbag,
    CBR 600 -07 MOSFET R&R FH008EE providing stable 14.4 - 14.5 V (with my wiring mod). Daytona heated grips with mccoi pwm controller and automatic chain oiler