Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: What's A Good Coolant?

That's basically the G05 Zerex - and lightly silicated http://www.oemantifreeze.com/oem-euro-ii/

I went with Honda Coolant. Supposed to be good stuff. Premixed 50/50. I'll rinse with distilled water and fill 'er up. Anybody else using Honda Coolant?

Supertech from walmart. Been using this in EVERYTHING for MANY, MANY years with ZERO problems. Don't over think it.
    2007 Tuono 1000R Factory - 22K miles
    Cored OE Racing CansMap2Pazzo Shorty Knock-offs15-40AF1 Link PlatesAprilia Sliders
    Laminar WindscreenLowered PegsLED City and Tag Lights
    ProTaper Universal LowClear Signal Lenses

2017 Z125 PRO in Candy Lime Green
    Many mods

2001 Futura in Silver - Sold, after 8.5 years of service.

Retired - DJ, Turntablist, MC, Creator, Video Editor and Mixologist.
    Cored OE Cans vs Leo Vince Titanium Vid
    Slammin' Tunes!

HF152, 10-26954
    HF564 .024-.028

Chrome extension to see photobucket blocked pics.

Quote Originally Posted by Fox Fader View Post
    Supertech from walmart. Been using this in EVERYTHING for MANY, MANY years with ZERO problems. Don't over think it.
    Very cool Fox Fader (pardon the pun). That's exactly what I was looking for. Something good that I can get anywhere that is tried and true and doesn't cause maintenance issues.

I already got my Honda coolant, so I'll use it this time, but next time it's Supertech.

Thanks!

As the engine is a Rotax, figured we'll be safe with what ze Germans like, using VW / Audi G12 / G13 coolant, "the pink stuff". This is also marketed by Pentosin directly. Been running this regularly for over 70,000 miles, and the system is cool and clean.

I have shelves of the stuff in the workshop. For those of you who may remember the headaches with GM engines and their juice of choice, Dex-Kill, I have been replacing gaskets and refilling GMs with the G12 for years...and no more corrosion problems in years. That is, after swearing over removal of the metal carnage in their cooling systems.

There's a lot of controversy over silicates, this is amusing. For a few model years, VW cooling systems included a special silicate pill in the coolant reservoir. Guys were wondering what the little plastic cylinders were doing in there. Again, no issues.

One last thought, be sure to rinse out your coolant bottle and fill it with fresh mix. Be sure the vent hose isn't kinked, and the overflow line to the radiator is in good shape. Always change your coolant with the bike on the side stand, this puts the fill at the highest point. Don't fret over wrangling a long funnel into the neck, simply unbolt the filler neck and pivot it outward for easy access.

Bob

Silicates are excellent at fast acting protection. That is why they are used in the HOAT hybrid coolants. The organic acids take longer to develop a protection layer. Silicates are only bad in the old coolants where they fell out of suspension when the PH dropped. They then caused issues like water pump wear as they are abrasive. The new coolants are designed for long life, and the old heavy silicate formula needs to be changed quite regularly. I would think the Euro coolants would be just fine even with a bit of silicates......again not a bad thing.
    2002 Capo Wilbers rear shock, Wilbers front progressive springs, Metal fuel connectors, polaris sh775 series regulator direct wired, silicone vacuum lines, catfish map, CNC clutch slave, autoelectrics coils (2)sides, Triumph Denso 3990's centers, k&n air filter, all LED lighting, SS brake and clutch lines, Givi tall screen, Triumph tiger 955i mirrors, dual horns. Pure copper 4 gauge battery cables. Rox risers.

Quote Originally Posted by spesnaz View Post
    As the engine is a Rotax, figured we'll be safe with what ze Germans like, using VW / Audi G12 / G13 coolant, "the pink stuff". This is also marketed by Pentosin directly. Been running this regularly for over 70,000 miles, and the system is cool and clean.

I have shelves of the stuff in the workshop. For those of you who may remember the headaches with GM engines and their juice of choice, Dex-Kill, I have been replacing gaskets and refilling GMs with the G12 for years...and no more corrosion problems in years. That is, after swearing over removal of the metal carnage in their cooling systems.

There's a lot of controversy over silicates, this is amusing. For a few model years, VW cooling systems included a special silicate pill in the coolant reservoir. Guys were wondering what the little plastic cylinders were doing in there. Again, no issues.

One last thought, be sure to rinse out your coolant bottle and fill it with fresh mix. Be sure the vent hose isn't kinked, and the overflow line to the radiator is in good shape. Always change your coolant with the bike on the side stand, this puts the fill at the highest point. Don't fret over wrangling a long funnel into the neck, simply unbolt the filler neck and pivot it outward for easy access.

Bob
    I used the Supertech in my BMW, with no problems. A couple years ago I called Prestone to see if it was fine to their green coolant in my Audi, the guy said absolutely, among other things.
    Cored OE Racing CansMap2Pazzo Shorty Knock-offs15-40AF1 Link PlatesAprilia Sliders

Many mods

Slammin' Tunes!

HF152, 10-26954
    HF564 .024-.028

Quote Originally Posted by FUN DOG View Post
    Very cool Fox Fader (pardon the pun). That's exactly what I was looking for. Something good that I can get anywhere that is tried and true and doesn't cause maintenance issues.

I already got my Honda coolant, so I'll use it this time, but next time it's Supertech.

Thanks!
    No problem.

Many mods

Slammin' Tunes!

HF152, 10-26954
    HF564 .024-.028

apriliaforum newb
    Using Evans waterless coolant, long lasting, no water and no pressure build up when warm. You do have to use a prep fluid before to get rid of all the water in the system. Works great and run’s 2 to 5 degrees warmer than my previous coolant. Well acceptable for me. http://www.evanscoolants.co.uk/Coola...power_cool_180

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12