Thread: my clutch lever feels really different and hard to get into neutral !

apriliaforum Member chefdanny69's Avatar

my clutch lever feels really different and hard to get into neutral !

hello all chef here! i have been noticing on my futura, that my clutch has been recently feeling odd! it is very soft when pulling in and doesnt seem to engage as soon as it did before! when i engage my clutch, i doesnt engage until half way through the pull of the lever? i do not have any slippage, but it feels very different! also when i am in first it extremely difficult to go into neutral! i can see my clutch fluid is dirty, not clear! could that be the issue? or i am due for an oil change, could that be the issue? what can i do to fix this, will it just get worse? any help would be great!

apriliaforum Member
    Quote Originally Posted by chefdanny69 View Post
    hello all chef here! i have been noticing on my futura, that my clutch has been recently feeling odd! it is very soft when pulling in and doesnt seem to engage as soon as it did before! when i engage my clutch, i doesnt engage until half way through the pull of the lever? i do not have any slippage, but it feels very different! also when i am in first it extremely difficult to go into neutral! i can see my clutch fluid is dirty, not clear! could that be the issue? or i am due for an oil change, could that be the issue? what can i do to fix this, will it just get worse? any help would be great!
    Hi, when was the last time the clutch fluid was changed? If its looking dirty it sounds like its overdue for changing and then bleeding any air out of the system. Biggest mission is taking the LH fairing panels off to get at the slave cylinder. If this doesn't cure the problem I would suspect that either the seal in the slave cylinder has failed or one in the master cylinder and this is allowing air into the system JMPO.

well its my clutch slave cylinder! i need to add fluid every month or so! i found a cycliner replacement on f1, how do i change it!? i am learning all this stuff any help would be great!

Did you buy an OE slave 2nd hand or an aftermarket one? There are replacement seals available for the OE slaves.

There is very little fluid in this hydraulic clutch set-up. Doesn't take much loss before you'll notice the lever going flat and shifting getting rough.

Once you have the the left side plastic off, you'll need to remove the 2 bolts holding the regulator plate and then swing the regulator out of the way - or unplug it if yours still has plugs - some guys cut them off and solder the wires.

The slave is held on with 3 bolts, iirc. You should loosen the hose banjo before loosening those mount bolts. If you have an OE slave, there's a spring inside that will try to pop the piston out. Keep in mind, there'll be fluid leaking out if you don't drain the system 1st.

replace in reverse - be patient to get all the air out. Sometimes it's easy, sometimes a pita. Brake fluid can ruin your paint and plastic bits. I do these jobs with everything covered with plastic garbage bag material and have a bucket of water, a sponge and paper towels handy cause inevitably, I spill a little somewhere.

Get in the habit of changing out the fluid in the clutch once a year. It gets black pretty soon after changing. Yer most of the way there during an oil change, so schedule it in there. Once I syringe out the old from the master, I just let gravity draw new fluid out the bottom at the slave's bleeder. Oh - only fill to the bottom of that window in the master. If you fill to the top of that window, fluid will come out the top when you put that rubber bladder in place.

yes i have original slave unit! should i get a new one or just change out the seals? i believe the have them on the af1 web site!

assuming your slave's cylinder is not pitted, you won't know that until yer in there, a new seal will be far cheaper than a new slave. And chances are, that'll fix it.
    Buy used, well, you already have one of those.