Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: got the carbon bike together, finally

Absolutely beautiful bike. You're well beyond the point of diminishing returns when it comes to $/ pound of weight lost. I like the idea of BST carbon wheels. And lighter forks. Adding lots of gun-drilled titanium hardware will only shave a few ounces at best. Titanium expansion chambers will undoubtedly be lighter than those mild steel Jolly Motos but at great expense. No easy answers for the rest of it: custom cast and machined magnesium engine covers, triple clamps, etc. Lighter weight, smaller gauge mil-spec wiring. Total loss electrical system (ditch the alternator and use lightweight but temperamental LiPo battery). Carbon-ceramic brake discs. Control cable conduit is typically vinyl wrapped steel so I'm sure there's some weight savings to be had there also.

yeah i mean i dont know if i'm going to do all of those crazy things...

Get your confidence back with Aprilia.

caution: the use of motorcycles may be habit forming. side effects include purchasing multiple examples of the same bike, in different states of tune, different years, or different models altogether. some motorcycles may be not running when purchased. some parts are no longer available. there are rare instances where aprilias are bought over the internet and upon arrival, they are not as were originally disclosed. there is a small group of people who cannot handle two stroke engines and motorcycle maintenance. if this is the case, you may not be a candidate for Aprilia RS250's.

Aprilia. Ask your doctor if the RS250 is right for you.

I hear you. I was just brainstorming what could be done if one was so inclined. It's amazing when you see how much work went into lightening your street bike and then compare it to a purpose-built GP bike. Those factory GP bikes are really works of art. Of course, race bikes only need to last race distance so they often skimp on safety margins to reduce weight further, but that can really increase operating expenses especially if you have to replace components on the regular so they don't break.

apriliaforum prov-nov KwikRyder's Avatar
    So I followed Mattology’s lead and got my hands on an Ohlins TTX for an RSV4. Now my problem is finding a 6.0 nm spring for my weight. The stock RSV4 is 9.5nm. I checked with ohlins USA and that spring is no longer available.
    High Speed, Low Drag!

i am using a YA-468 with a 75 spring

caution: the use of motorcycles may be habit forming. side effects include purchasing multiple examples of the same bike, in different states of tune, different years, or different models altogether. some motorcycles may be not running when purchased. some parts are no longer available. there are rare instances where aprilias are bought over the internet and upon arrival, they are not as were originally disclosed. there is a small group of people who cannot handle two stroke engines and motorcycle maintenance. if this is the case, you may not be a candidate for Aprilia RS250's.

apriliaforum Member
    You know you can always sell one of your other 250s to me to help finance the titanium

the bike upstairs has some specific history to it, and i am not interested in selling it. if you absolutely feel the need to own it, you can make me an offer in pm's.

apriliaforum newb
    Beautiful bike, and really useful thread - thanks

some photos with the ya-468 ttx

Ordered BST's and Braketech rotors for the damn thing... wallet and bike both undergoing some pretty significant weight reduction...

it better be worth it lol.

Quote Originally Posted by mattology View Post
    Ordered BST's and Braketech rotors for the damn thing... wallet and bike both undergoing some pretty significant weight reduction...

Looking good Matt! I have no personal first hand experience but from everything I've read most people absolutely love super lightweight wheels (whether carbon fiber or magnesium). Dropping a few pounds of unsprung mass with much less inertia should definitely be noticeable. OEM wheels are 3.0"/4.5" wide. BST doesn't offer a 3.0" front so you have to account for the slightly wider 3.5" front wheel eating into some of the potential weight savings. Also the OEM front brake rotors are Ø 298 mm, whereas the Braketech Supersport Race rotors are Ø 310 mm.

As to whether it's worth it or not, only you can make that judgement. There's two schools of thought about bikes. Some people love factory performance and just buy the latest and greatest bikes. Others love to tinker and personalize. I love Aprilias and I love tuning things to my liking. Most often this results in a machine I enjoy more but sometimes you make mistakes or take two steps forward, one step back. Given the total amount of money/ time/ effort you've invested in your bike to date I'm sure you could have bought some serious weapons grade machinery. Would you like that more than what you've built yourself? Would you have the same pride of ownership, technical understanding, made all the same friendships, etc.?

on a cup bike the wheels are front 17 x 3.5 the rear is 17 x 4.5 .

the bst's are 17 x 3.5 (same ) and 17 x 5.0 (slightly better for a 160 rear tire )

also, I am doing braketech 298mm TZ250 rotors so no increased diameter or weight there

apriliaforum Junkie
    some photos with the ya-468 ttx

What rear sets are they ? They look like you are using the original foot pegs are the levers on a bearing?

Thanks

woodcraft rearsets with stock pegs. i have some gilles rearsets i have thought about putting on. i'll have to weigh them, lol.

apriliaforum Junkie
    woodcraft rearsets with stock pegs. i have some gilles rearsets i have thought about putting on. i'll have to weigh them, lol.
    Haha. I have started doing the weight thing. .I have found some rear sets from Italy very similar to Gilles I might try

brake tech discs showed up, Lauren sent me these photos.

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast