Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Butt Lite IX - starts & ends in Louisville, Kentucky

apriliaforum expert ravenranger's Avatar

Butt Lite IX - starts & ends in Kentucky

Well, I'm doing it again....

Planning to ride from Tucson to Kentucky the beginning of July. The rally is July 8-14 and will likely be mostly in the Southeast.

If there's any Capo folks near Lexington who'd like to connect, let me know.

Cheers

(EDIT: I accidentally typed Louisville instead of Lexington. Lexington is the correct Kentucky city LOL)
    Last edited by ravenranger; 07-01-2018 at 09:42 AM.
    2006 Caponord 1989 NX250
    IBA#22798 is now #580 AMA#601202

That's a heck of a time to be doing it in that area. The heat and humidity could be real concerns. But good luck and have fun. Let me know if there's anything I can help you with before you take off.

Stu

I'm dreading the humidity but my mom is lending me her ice machine that she got for her knee replacement last year. I'm doing a little engineering to see if I can get it to function as an under-jacket cooler. We'll see....

The Capo is mostly ready although my shift shaft seal has started weeping again (I replaced it 2 years ago). Not sure why it's leaking and it would be nice to get that truly sorted I'll switch it out but I'll be sure to carry a spare for on the road (so I won't need it).

This year's rally should be a lot of fun because it's not nearly so high stakes as last year was. I can't yet share publicly where the check point is but it's only ~300ish miles from Lexington. That's rather unusual because the check points are typically at least 1000 miles away. Based on a particularly interesting feature near the check-point, I have some ideas about what the "theme" may be. I can hardly wait to find out if I've deducted correctly. Regardless, I'm anticipating an interesting puzzle with a lot of "combo" locations that will force us farther afield.

I'll post up as it draws near and share more details as I know them.
    Last edited by ravenranger; 07-01-2018 at 09:39 AM.
    2006 Caponord 1989 NX250

Name:  Blix6_400.jpg
Views: 154
Size:  88.9 KB
    Here's the link for hooking up to the Butt Lite IX rally info.

CLICK HERE

If you follow the link, you'll see that the check-point is Maggie Valley, NC. Based on that bit of information, I suspect that the theme will somehow involve motorcycle museums (gee, wonder why ). So, that could be fun, especially if I can manage to time arrivals during business hours! LOL

So here's at least some of the points I'm expecting.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	MCmuseums.jpg 
Views:	14 
Size:	99.9 KB 
ID:	360754

And, because I'm missing the North East in my "states where I've ridden motorcycles" map....I'm thinking I could make an interesting loop through the NE either "on-the-way" (LOL) from Lexington to Maggie Valley or for the return. that opens up a Southern loop for the other half. I suspect the direction will be predicated by weather considerations and rally masters' whim. The northern loop is ~2500 miles and the southern loop is ~2000 so both are doable.

Name:	MCmuseumsloop.jpg 
Views:	13 
Size:	99.6 KB 
ID:	360758
    Last edited by ravenranger; 07-01-2018 at 09:40 AM.
    2006 Caponord 1989 NX250

Quote Originally Posted by ravenranger View Post
    Well, I'm doing it again....

Planning to ride from Tucson to Louisville the beginning of July. The rally is July 8-14 and will likely be mostly in the Southeast.

If there's any Capo folks near Louisville who'd like to connect, let me know.

Cheers

Good Luck Raven!

I look forward to your rally report.

Catfish ...

Follow along....

Ok Capo family -

I'm getting ready to head out to Kentucky for the rally.

The rally itself is from July 8-14 and
    here's how you can follow along if you'd like.

My personal tracker is:
    https://tinyurl.com/ravenrally2018
    (this is a PRIVATE PAGE and NEEDS A PASSWORD)

The map that shows everyone will go live when the rally starts:
    https://tinyurl.com/ravenBLIX

BEFORE the rally starts, that page will require a password bc it's for rally staff to watch folks arriving before the start.

The BLOG for the rally is here:
    https://buttliterally.com

That's where you'll likely find daily reports of what's going on.

As per the rally rules, I'll be radio silent, for the most part, during the rally but will try and check in if I can.

Enjoy

Last edited by ravenranger; 07-04-2018 at 12:12 AM.
    2006 Caponord 1989 NX250

Riding across Oklahoma in the evening on the Fourth of July is always fantastic!

The humidity and heat index is absolutely brutal in Missouri. For those following along, have grabbed a room for this afternoon and will continue on to Lexington once it cools off a bit. Don't much like riding at night with critters about but I'll cut up to Hwy 60 and then the Bluegrass Parkway for the night riding. I'll check in again once I'm in Lexington. Cheers!

Oh, Capo is running like a champ and closing in on 70k miles!
    2006 Caponord 1989 NX250

Capo rolled over 70k today and I'm safely in Lexington. We'll get the rally packs tomorrow and we'll find out what the theme is. Lots of folks are wondering if the recently collapsed Bourbon barrel barn will be on the list, just because.
    2006 Caponord 1989 NX250

Ok - we got the packets and we're mostly in the Southeast for the first leg - doesn't seem to be any rhyme or reason to the locations (so far). The rally start is going to be live-streamed on longridersradio.com starting at 7:30 AM EST Sunday, July 8. Keep your eye out for the lone Capo!

And now, radio silent for the next few days - feel free to throw out encouraging posts even if I don't reply.
    2006 Caponord 1989 NX250

apriliaforum expert
    Go Raven Go
    I'd rather have a full bottle in front of me than a full frontal lobotomy

Well, another one is in the books and the Capo is safely back at the barn. I'll write more of a ride report once I've got my wits about me (not that I ever quite fully do, mind you).

I had a minor battery problem that wasted a day of riding. Purely my own fault in that I had at least a 3 year old battery from the start and should have gone ahead and replaced it in Tucson when it went flat just before taking off. In the second half the odo quit working at the very last bonus location (about 118 miles from the end). Thankfully it quit on the last one and not the first but I'll need to do some fiddling about to, hopefully, get it going again. Otherwise the dear beast ran beautifully and survived a minor skirmish with a deer (talk about burying the lead, eh?). Both the deer and the Capo were fine as it was very low speed whilst entering the Blue Ridge Parkway, a very small deer, a slight glancing blow, nary a wobble, and the deer went bouncing away. Never have I seen so many deer as I have on this run! The Parkway is just covered with them.

The Banquet is tonight and we'll get our photos back.

Cheers
    2006 Caponord 1989 NX250

apriliaforum Member
    Awesome 👏 Congratulations!
    Looking forward to the pictures and write up

Where to begin for the story of the Butt Lite IX rally.... I suppose the beginning is as good a place as any except, the beginning starts well before the beginning. I suppose the beginning was within a few weeks of the end of the 2017 Iron Butt Rally. I'd pretty well decided that I'd take this summer off, even though I dearly love the Team Strange folks. Knowing that the rally would begin in Lexington, KY gave me pause as I know that humidity is my kryptonite plus, long distance rallying is not an inexpensive hobby. But, as fate would have it, an anonymous gift came my way with the only caveat being "to have fun" and, with that, I found myself pushing the entry button at midnight....Now, to figure out the humidity....

Knee replacement surgery is an interesting thing. Not mine, mind you, my mom's. They gave her this nifty little device to help with swelling. Basically a small ice cooler with a pump attached. You fill the cooler with ice, attach a hose that's hooked up to a pad, turn on the pump, and instant cooling. This got me thinking....What if one were to find a 12V adapter for the pump? Many of the long distance riders carry either small coolers or 2 gallon jugs for hydration. A bit of fiddling and a 2 gallon plastic bucket from ACE and we're in business. A portable lumbar support with built in cooler!

Name:  aircast.jpg
Views: 60
Size:  103.8 KB
    Humidity, I scoff at you! This set-up worked surprisingly well strapped to the passenger seat with the use of the 2 gallon bucket and a couple of rok-straps. Easy to pop on and off the bike at night and, the added bonus of being able to run it in the hotel room to help sooth one's tired old knees! Just the ticket for dealing with the record heat wave that stood between myself in Tucson and the starting line in Lexington. Other than the heat and an intense but short lived thunderstorm, the ride out was uneventful. Here's the Capo and myself under a ramada waiting out the storm. I strung up my hammock and had a nice swing as the rain pelted down.

Name:	hammock.jpg 
Views:	9 
Size:	66.2 KB 
ID:	362979
    2006 Caponord 1989 NX250

Saturday night and the much anticipated rally packets are finally in our hands. We're given permission to open our envelopes and the speculation begins. Given the Maggie Valley checkpoint location, I was not the only one anticipating museums, or racetracks, or even bourbon. There were a couple of bourbon bonuses but no combos there. The only combo ended up being SEC foot ball stadiums. Collect 9 of the 14 and get a 2500 point bonus. That's quite decent reward given that the stadiums themselves are worth practically nothing - 1 pt, 5 pt, 10 pt, 15 pt, etc. So, screw up even one of them and it's been a lot of work for about 100 points. Note to self carefully read the bonus requirements! In addition to the stadiums there's one motorcycle museum - yay! - and it's worth 470 points. Barber Motorsports Museum in Birmingham, Alabama is on the list. I stay up much too late coming up with a route that nets just over 10k in points at around 2000 miles. It takes me out of Lexington into the Kentucky countryside for some twisty roads and a couple of bonuses and then down to Knoxville for a stadium, over to Memphis, and then down through Mississippi, Alabama, Georgia, up through South Carolina and into Maggie Valley.

Sunday morning comes very early for this person who's still on West Coast time. There's the usual "hurry-up and wait" as well as the rider breakfast and odo check. Then, the rider's meeting and last minute admonitions of the rally staff before being released to the bikes.

8:00 AM finally arrives and we're off. Never have so many been in such a hurry to collect so few points. It's clear by all the motorcycles in the parking lot of the Kentucky Wildcats Kroger Field that many have drawn the same conclusion - the SEC combo makes sense. Woo hoo, congratulations you've got 1 point. I think to myself that the rally staff must be laughing as they watch all of our little tracker dots converge on this bonus and kind of wonder why they didn't give it zero points just because.

Name:	DSCN0839.jpg 
Views:	10 
Size:	100.0 KB 
ID:	362982

Despite having grown up in the South, I am now a desert rat and I, of course, park in the shade. The one other desert rat who you can just see in the corner of the photo is parked in the shade, too. All of the other motorcycles are out in the blazing sun for their photos. That means they don't have the tree. Yes, that tree there that kind of obscures the word Kroger. It's about three stadiums from now that it occurs to me that the tree in the photo might be a problem. By then, it's too late to worry over much. It will either be accepted as the Kentucky Wildcat stadium or it won't. But, there's that nagging doubt in the back of my mind regarding whether or not I've already screwed up the stadium bonus....
    Last edited by ravenranger; 07-19-2018 at 08:44 AM.
    2006 Caponord 1989 NX250

"From this valley they say you are going.
    Do not hasten to bid me adieu.
    Just remember the Red River Valley
    and the one who has loved you so true."

Or something to that effect. I know I haven't remembered the words exactly but the song keeps looping through my head as I roll out through the country side and see signs for the Red River. I don't even know if it's the right Red River but it's now my ear-worm twanging along in some cowboy singer's voice that I no doubt heard as a child.

Gladie, KY is down a little county road that snakes through the Daniel Boone National Forest (yes, the Daniel Boone TV show theme song became a second ear-worm - you're welcome).

Name:	gladieHWY77.jpg 
Views:	10 
Size:	83.5 KB 
ID:	363016

And yes, that squiggly line on the map is even more-so in person. The road kinks and writhes through the forest. The trees are thick and green and dampness permeates the air. There's a one-lane tunnel with water misting off the rock face and I enter with trepidation as I'm already feeling a little claustrophobic from all the closeness. Having lived out West for so long, I've become used to big open skies and twisty roads with dramatic views.

I make it to Gladie just as someone else is taking off, chuckle at the sign, snap my picture, record my odometer, and head on down the winding road.

Name:	DSCN0847.jpg 
Views:	11 
Size:	101.9 KB 
ID:	363017

Next stop is about 75 country road miles away. I pull it up on the gps and point myself in the right direction. So far, I'm in good spirits and making good time....being a rally, we know all of that is about to change.
    2006 Caponord 1989 NX250

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast