Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: '18 959

apriliaforum expert
    Quote Originally Posted by 2milles View Post
    just brought home a 18 959 panigale corse. I got the factory full system with what they call the up map. being its the factory endorsed piece I just added it to purchase. $5292. is ducati's book price for the full akro evolution system. dealer insisted I wait till 600 miles to put on the pipe and map it. he runs it on the dyno and low miles would not of been the best time. its strange if you go out into the open market there are options to buy just the header without the lower twin mufflers. I guess the slip on is the same as the mufflers for a complete system. so you could go out and buy termi pipes and akro silencers or vice a versa etc. all aftermarket pipes are without the factory option mapping just like the Aprilia/akro package thru dealer. so bite the bullet and akro thru dealer. ouch saves almost 10 kilo's. that 22lbs
    So, what do you think of the 959? What type of riding are you doing? I've got serious lust for one at the moment. It seems like it would be excellent on the curvy roads as well as a great track bike.
    The man who makes a beast of himself rids himself of the pain of being a man. Foreword to Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas

apriliaforum Member
    I bought a 959 purely for track days; I've been riding the Tuono on street and track for 3 years, I feel I'm 'back to school' now, to be honest. For track riding the 959, as a racing bike, is more 'natural' and the aerodynamics do help a lot... but my biggest complaint (if you can call it that) is that there is no Tuono-like power when coming out of corners at mid-range rpm... really need to keep the 959 North of 7500-8000 to feel it pulling hard;I'm going to finish the riding season on it, but I'm not sure I'll keep it for next season.

Note: I'm not saying I'm too good a rider for the 959 or that I'm using 100% of its capabilities, FAR from... but its characteristics and the way it needs to be ridden, well... let's just say we're still trying to make our relationship work!

apriliaforum expert
    Quote Originally Posted by RoaringEagle View Post
    I bought a 959 purely for track days; I've been riding the Tuono on street and track for 3 years, I feel I'm 'back to school' now, to be honest. For track riding the 959, as a racing bike, is more 'natural' and the aerodynamics do help a lot... but my biggest complaint (if you can call it that) is that there is no Tuono-like power when coming out of corners at mid-range rpm... really need to keep the 959 North of 7500-8000 to feel it pulling hard;I'm going to finish the riding season on it, but I'm not sure I'll keep it for next season.

Note: I'm not saying I'm too good a rider for the 959 or that I'm using 100% of its capabilities, FAR from... but its characteristics and the way it needs to be ridden, well... let's just say we're still trying to make our relationship work!
    I think that has been the rub against the Panigale v twins all along--even the 1199, not sure about the 1299 though? They don't have v-twin torque, but supposedly rip pretty good in the upper rpm ranges, which is kinda counter intuitive for a twin. What year is your 959? It's my understanding they made some changes to the 19 model which help the handling a bit.
    The man who makes a beast of himself rids himself of the pain of being a man. Foreword to Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas

I would agree with that, about the motor. It feels like a more torquey GSX-R750. Certainly fast and capable, but it doesn't have that midrange punch that Ducati's of old had...

I think the 1299 did, but it's a race-bred 1300cc twin, it better have midrange grunt... LOL

I found it light and agile, but never got it on track before I traded it on on a different bike... It was also hot AF, all the time, even in the winter...

apriliaforum Member
    my 959 is a 2016; in Europe it came as 157bhp... I noticed on Duc website that the current models are rated at 150bhp... although I'm not sure how to interpret that, as Ducati-horses are sometimes bizarre creatures (my original Diavel was 162bhp, the newer engines also dropped power, at least on paper).

I'm not aware of any changes in recent years to the 959, except for the (quite expensive) Corse that comes with the cool paint scheme, the Akra cans and (cheapass) Ohlins stuff.

When coming out of a slow corner in 2nd at 4000rpm or so, I whack the throttle open and expect to be launched into orbit like on the Tuono... but no such thing: it tiptoes up in the rev range and at 8000rpm or so it really gets going; heck, when I exit such a corner right behind my gf on her SuperSport, it takes 300m or so before I get any closer; on the Tuono I blast past her within 50m or so. Next time at that track, I'm going to try some of the slow corners in 1st gear...

Heat, yes... it's a hot Summer here, the 959 feels like a furnace; apparently (haven't got personal experience) the big Pani and the V4 are even worse!

my 959 is a 2016; in Europe it came as 157bhp... I noticed on Duc website that the current models are rated at 150bhp... although I'm not sure how to interpret that, as Ducati-horses are sometimes bizarre creatures (my original Diavel was 162bhp, the newer engines also dropped power, at least on paper).

I'm not aware of any changes in recent years to the 959, except for the (quite expensive) Corse that comes with the cool paint scheme, the Akra cans and (cheapass) Ohlins stuff.

When coming out of a slow corner in 2nd at 4000rpm or so, I whack the throttle open and expect to be launched into orbit like on the Tuono... but no such thing: it tiptoes up in the rev range and at 8000rpm or so it really gets going; heck, when I exit such a corner right behind my gf on her SuperSport, it takes 300m or so before I get any closer; on the Tuono I blast past her within 50m or so. Next time at that track, I'm going to try some of the slow corners in 1st gear...

Heat, yes... it's a hot Summer here, the 959 feels like a furnace; apparently (haven't got personal experience) the big Pani and the V4 are even worse!
    The Pani 959 has decent power, you just have to ride it like a 600 to get it. Keep the revs about 8k and you will be fine. You can't short shift it and carry a taller gear like the 1098/1198 would let you get away with...

apriliaforum Member
    Quote Originally Posted by SquireSCA View Post
    The Pani 959 has decent power, you just have to ride it like a 600 to get it. Keep the revs about 8k and you will be fine. You can't short shift it and carry a taller gear like the 1098/1198 would let you get away with...
    I agree wholeheartedly

Strange thing is: 2 months ago I had a track day at Francorchamps (the F1 track, not sure it's well-known in the USA) and my dealer was there... he was vehemently trying to convince me that I should use the 'torque' of the 959 and shift at 7000-8000rpm... even one of his customers told me that he consistently kept the revs between 3000-7000 on that track. Well, I tested that... even made a video: short-shifting at 7000rpm in each gear, up to 6th... well, it looks like the 959 is moving in slowmotion; then, the next lap, I did the same but shifted just before the limiter... on that stretch, it made a difference of 45kph at the end... that's huge! So, as I'm a 'see if before I believe it' kinda guy, I tried it myself and finally believe it: can't ride the 959 like a big-cc bike and expect it to be dashing fast.

All in all: yes, the 959 has decent power (like you say), but can't ride it like a Tuono... even if the difference in displacement is only 150cc or so and maybe 25bhp less: the L-twin just can't keep up with the V4

I agree wholeheartedly

Strange thing is: 2 months ago I had a track day at Francorchamps (the F1 track, not sure it's well-known in the USA) and my dealer was there... he was vehemently trying to convince me that I should use the 'torque' of the 959 and shift at 7000-8000rpm... even one of his customers told me that he consistently kept the revs between 3000-7000 on that track. Well, I tested that... even made a video: short-shifting at 7000rpm in each gear, up to 6th... well, it looks like the 959 is moving in slowmotion; then, the next lap, I did the same but shifted just before the limiter... on that stretch, it made a difference of 45kph at the end... that's huge! So, as I'm a 'see if before I believe it' kinda guy, I tried it myself and finally believe it: can't ride the 959 like a big-cc bike and expect it to be dashing fast.

All in all: yes, the 959 has decent power (like you say), but can't ride it like a Tuono... even if the difference in displacement is only 150cc or so and maybe 25bhp less: the L-twin just can't keep up with the V4
    Yeah, the Tuono has a massive advantage anywhere on the rev range...

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2019-07-24 08_05_53-WinPEP 8 Data Center.jpg 
Views:	20 
Size:	93.6 KB 
ID:	385034

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12