Thread: Scarabeo 250 belt life?

apriliaforum Member

Scarabeo 250 belt life?

Just took a trip from NY to TN last week and was doing some maintenance today and had the belt exposed to check the valves. I've put 9K miles on since the last belt change and this is what I found when I removed the cover. OEM belt. I did a lot of interstate on the trip to TN but I don't think it should have this effect on the belt should it?

Name:  Beo 250 belt.jpg
Views: 95
Size:  120.8 KB

apriliaforum expert
    Belt life is dependent on a number of factors but they should last 12,500 miles if the CVT air filter is kept clean, drive faces are not grooved and the belt was not old stock sitting for a long time before you put it on. After its installed having the bike sitting idle for years will introduce set and allow the belt to dry out unevenly reducing how many miles you will get out of it to. Not using a funnel and spilling oil around the fill can drip oil on the belt also reducing its life.

Before a long ride its a really good idea to clean the CVT filter with soapy water before heading out especially if you will be riding at Highway or Interstate speeds.

apriliaforum Junkie
    for extended highway runs... you need to 1/2 your belt life (which is 8,000) . 12,000 miles on a drive belt? GTFO! Maybe if you putt around like a little girl. Not a bad idea to carry an extra one on longer trips.

apriliaforum Member
    The belt had been on for 2 years (9K miles). I do tend to run it pretty hard but not usually long highway days. The trip to TN and back to NY was just over 2K miles so if turboblew is correct I was pushing my luck. Just never saw this happen before but then again I don't usually keep my scooters around for too long. I'll keep a better eye on the CVT filter in the future as well. Can't believe I didn't pack the old belt for the trip. I'd have been screwed waiting for a replacement on the road.

apriliaforum expert
    I run mine hard too and sometimes for hours on the interstate returning home after dropping off a motor home at a camp or construction site or just when out and about for fun.

On a long ride like that yes indeed pack an old belt that's in decent shape in a ziplock bag and bring along at least the Buzzetti clutch and variator tools (more compact, lighter and cheaper than the Piaggio) along with a small 3/8" torque wrench with a short extension and just the sockets required to do the service (they can fit in the corners and empty voids under and around your rain gear and such under the seat taking up very little if no extra space). A toothpaste sized tube of grease to ensure the clutch shaft is not so dry when you put the clutch back on would be a good idea too. I also pack a few black trash bags and a handful of white shop rags (white can also be used for first aid). A small disposable paint brush also takes little space and can be quite valuable.

Glad you caught it before it shredded as replacing the timing cover after belt cords wrap around the crank and take out the seal requires a very expensive tool to ensure you get it all put back together with the cover properly indexed and the oil pump drive chain properly tensioned plus that tool is usually not readily available even at a full service Aprilia or Piaggio Dealership.

apriliaforum expert
    was happening to some of my s500 belts some brands get sloppy going around the guides near the sheaves i was riding in the 8-10K in 70 days or so on Average changing drive belt at 90 days and rotating rollers blow out dust close up. I try n run a Leetle Shorter than Stock drive belt bottoms in sheaves better