Thread: My 09 Factory - No Hot Restart

apriliaforum prov-nov

My 09 Factory - No Hot Restart

This bike has less than 10k miles on it, got it last summer. So I decided to find out what my Arrow CF slip-ons sound like with no baffles in them, and pulled those suckers out. Much louder, nice sound but I think they're going back in. On the test run I shut the bike off at a store and when I came back out and started it, I had an engine oil pressure light warning message come on for a few secs before going off. It'd been sitting for a couple hrs at this point. It acted normally otherwise and no further issues.

Later that afternoon, it started normally with no issues and I went out for another ride. On the way back, I shut it off in a parking lot to check some text messages. When I went to restart, I had normal gauge operation except a big fat "SERVICE" word on the dash and the red triangle on. Engine turned over fine but the bike made no attempt to start. Throttle position while cranking made no difference. Tank was full of fuel. I had no tools with me, but did try unhooking the ECM connectors under the pass. seat to see if that'd clear the codes -- the red triangle came back immediately after the key was cut on. After a few tries over the next 40 mins, I gave up and walked 3 miles home to get my trailer.

When I got back, I said what the heck and tried it one more time. It instantly started and there was no sign anything had gone wrong. No red triangle, nothing.

So a couple questions.

1. Any ideas? I'm not going to trust this bike until I get this figured out. And intermittent problems are the worst.

2. Is there any way to retrieve whatever the "SERVICE" message or code was? It'd be a step in the direction of figuring this out.

Thanks for any thoughts / ideas.

Hi Joe, are you familiar navigating the dash? Within the service area you can check for dash codes which are also stored in the ecu. The service code is 13432 which will give you access. You can record them, then clear them and see if they come back. If you clear them it will stay recorded in the ecu so a tech can also see them during service. When you tried to restart when hot and it failed, did you notice the fuel pump prime at the turn of the key?

Fuel or fire?
    Get a small can of starting fluid, next time it happens shoot some starting fluid in the intake, note the results.
    2007 Tuono 1000R Factory - 21K miles
    Cored OE Racing CansMap2Pazzo Shorty Knock-offs15-40AF1 Link PlatesAprilia Sliders
    Laminar WindscreenLowered PegsLED City and Tag Lights
    ProTaper Universal LowClear Signal Lenses
    2017 High-Ball in Suede Nuclear Sunset Orange
    2017 Z125 PRO in Candy Lime Green

2001 Futura in Silver - Sold, after 8.5 years of service.

Retired - DJ, Turntablist, MC, Creator, Video Editor and Mixologist.
    Cored OE Cans vs Leo Vince Titanium Vid
    Slammin' Tunes!

HF152, 10-26954
    HF564 .024-.028

Chrome extension to see photobucket blocked pics.

apriliaforum expert
    Bad oil pressure sensor? I had one go bad intermittently on my 04 RSV factory and it left me stranded a few times before it got sorted.
    The man who makes a beast of himself rids himself of the pain of being a man. Foreword to Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas

apriliaforum prov-nov
    Hey Guys, sorry for the late reply as I've just put in a lot of hours at work and just got back to the interwebz. No I don't know how to navigate the dash, so I'll figure that out and see what the code(s) were. It was pretty late at night so I didn't have access to stores to buy some 2+2, starting fluid, etc. I'm familiar with the process since it's the same one I've used to diagnose fuel problems in automobiles. I don't recall hearing the fuel pump on the bike, so I'll check that out if / when this happens again. Thanks for your input!

On the Englandshire side of the Welsh Border
    Quote Originally Posted by 421switch View Post
    Bad oil pressure sensor? I had one go bad intermittently on my 04 RSV factory and it left me stranded a few times before it got sorted.
    This.
    Especially so if it's got the long filter, or incorrect/old oil.

apriliaforum prov-nov
    Happened again today and was able to retrieve the following codes: P-code 0231 and A-code 45. Said "Fuel Pump" at the bottom of the display. It shut off while coasting to a stop at a light and no restart. Still no restart hours later and the SERVICE light is still on. So now I have more to go on.

apriliaforum prov-nov
    Checked the connectors under the front seat and all appears well. Before I touched anything, I turned the key on one more time and what do you know, the SERVICE light was off and the pump primed. Sure makes it hard to find a problem when it's intermittent. This one has something to do with temperature thought. Stone cold, the pump always primes.

Can a fuel pump go bad from age vs usage? Bought this bike with 4k miles on it last summer.

Did the fuel pump prime when you turned the key on during the time it wouldnt start? The reason I asked is that there is a not common but hot start issue that is caused by a failure of the fuel pump harness. If you lift the tank, follow the fuel pump wires back to a white connector under the left side of the riders seat. When it fails check if you have power there, if you do check the harness back to the tank. If it is this issue normally the wires fail right around where it enters the tank.

apriliaforum prov-nov
    OK I'll need to pack a multimeter or at least a test light with me next time. Interesting failure, 3 hours after it shut off and I'd trailered it back and parked it in the garage, it was still dead. Another couple hours after that, I turned the key and all was normal again. Only change was it'd been plugged into the battery tender. I'll have to listen for the pump at the next failure, it's not as loud as what I was expecting.

apriliaforum prov-nov
    So after a bunch of reading here, I decided to guess it was the fuel pump harness and I ordered one. This evening I finally got a chance to get everything buttoned back up and I just got back from putting 50 after-midnight miles on it as a test ride. No problems so far. I ordered the harness and a new tank o-ring from AF1. Oh and some of the appropriate Loctite flange sealer.

Couple things to be aware of.

-The new harness doesn't come with an o-ring seal. I reused the one off my old harness, hoping it'd work. So far, so good. But if you want to be proper about it, you should find and order that o-ring separately. It's different from the pump assembly o-ring.

-I did buy the Oetiker clamp pliers and they were straightforward to use. I reused the Oetiker clamps -- that's one vent line clamp and one fuel line clamp. The other vent line clamp can also be removed with the Oetiker pliers, but it's not an Oetiker and regular pliers would work too.

-There is a zip tie inside the tank that holds the wiring to the pump assembly to keep it from vibrating around. This tie isn't included with the new harness and it's going to be one that doesn't break down under constant contact with fuel. I'm a mechanic and I had some zip ties around, so I used one of them in the hopes that it'd turn out to be ok. We shall see.

-As mentioned elsewhere here, the high-pressure fuel line has a twist in it from the factory. I marked mine with marker so I'd know which side was up.

-I removed that line from the the engine, not the tank. There are 2 crush washers on that banjo fitting, and they also aren't included. Again, I reused mine and they aren't leaking. But a smart person would order them.

Hope this helps some people. If the issue comes back up, I'll revisit this thread. Otherwise you can assume the problem has been fixed.

apriliaforum prov-nov
    Put another 100 miles on it today, no further issues. FYI I can pull hard on the wires on both sides of my old fuel tank harness where they enter the bulkhead fitting and none of them seem loose. But obviously that was the problem. I couldn't get more than 20 miles on it before it'd shut down before this.

Glad you got it sorted. Electrical gremlins are a pita to diagnose. Luckily there are few issues with this bike and they are usually the same ones.

Thanks for posting a response joe.
    Do not go gentle into that good night,

Rage, rage against the dying of the light.

apriliaforum prov-nov
    Update - have put over 500 add'l miles on the bike, no further problems. The fuel pump harness was definitely the problem, and again the failure point is not visible at all. All pins were securely in their connectors, all connectors were solidly plugged in prior to replacing the harness -- I checked all of that first.