Thread: 2008 Scarabeo 200 - HELP

apriliaforum newb

Question 2008 Scarabeo 200 - HELP

I just bought a used 08í Aprilia Scarabeo 200, Sheís got 16,000km and looks like new.

Today when I checked the Engine Oil level, the dipstick showed that it was way too full. I emptied the oil and refilled it to the appropriate MAX limit on the dipstick. However, hereís the problem now. When I ride the scooter now the engine oil light is constantly on. The only time it turns off is above 60km/h with the throttle maxed out. Before when the reservoir was overfilled the light was off.

Iím going to change the filter again tomorrow and get new oil. Does anyone know where the Oil pressure sensor switch is located ? Does anyone have any suggestions or ideas of what the problem could be ? Iím puzzled. I donít think that the dipstick would be wrong, although it doesnít make sense for the bike to need an excessive amount of oil either....

Help... lol

apriliaforum newb

Question 2008 Scarabeo 200 - HELP

I just bought a used 08í Aprilia Scarabeo 200, Sheís got 16,000km and looks like new.

Today when I checked the Engine Oil level, the dipstick showed that it was way too full. I emptied the oil and refilled it to the appropriate MAX limit on the dipstick. However, hereís the problem now. When I ride the scooter now the engine oil light is constantly on. The only time it turns off is above 60km/h with the throttle maxed out. Before when the reservoir was overfilled the light was off.

Iím going to change the filter again tomorrow and get new oil. Does anyone know where the Oil pressure sensor switch is located ? Does anyone have any suggestions or ideas of what the problem could be ? Iím puzzled. I donít think that the dipstick would be wrong, although it doesnít make sense for the bike to need an excessive amount of oil either....

Help... lol

The Anal Intruder William the Third's Avatar
    I'm not familiar with the Scarabeo 200, but based on this thread, it sounds like you both are misreading the dipstick, and didn't fill the engine with enough oil when you changed it.

To read the oil correctly you unscrew the dipstick, clean it, insert the dipstick into the hole but DO NOT screw it back in, then remove the dipstick again to read the oil level. Screwing the dipstick in will cause it to incorrectly read that it is over filled.

It takes 950ml~1000ml to correctly fill the oil. How much oil did you use when filling it?
    #1 Forum Loser

1973 Harley-Davidson Aermacchi Z-90 - Restoration project
    1983 Kawasaki KZ750 Spectre - Fathers old bike
    1998 Kawasaki KE100 - My first bike at 14
    1998 Laverda Ghost Strike 668 - A fun little bike
    1999 Aprilia RS250 - Track bike
    2001 Aprilia RSV Mille - My first Aprilia
    2007 Aprilia SR50R Factory - My babe magnet
    2009 Aprilia SR50R Factory - My "help me I have a problem"

apriliaforum newb

Exclamation Still Puzzled

Quote Originally Posted by William the Third View Post
    I'm not familiar with the Scarabeo 200, but based on this thread, it sounds like you both are misreading the dipstick, and didn't fill the engine with enough oil when you changed it.

To read the oil correctly you unscrew the dipstick, clean it, insert the dipstick into the hole but DO NOT screw it back in, then remove the dipstick again to read the oil level. Screwing the dipstick in will cause it to incorrectly read that it is over filled.

It takes 950ml~1000ml to correctly fill the oil. How much oil did you use when filling it?
    I am most definitely checking the oil correctly, the service manual is very specific about how to read the dipstick. The manual states that the capacity is 1000cm3 (approx. 1 quart) and to fill with approximately 950cm3 when doing an oil change. Iím trying to understand why the oil pressure light stays on when the dipstick is correct and the oil level is perfect. I shouldnít have to over fill the oil reservoir to make the oil pressure light shut off. I think because the previous owner over filled it p, then I drove it without checking, it must be the Oil Pressure sensor switch, or perhaps not enough oil flowing through the filter. If itís not either of those It could very well be a damaged oil pump. However the bike still runs therefore I do not think thereís an oil pump issue. Any other suggestions besides what iím Already planning on checking ? I have also already adjusted the idle. The bike clearly did not have the recommended 12,000km service. Maybe the drive belt is way too loose.

apriliaforum expert
    Are you certain that the correct dip stick is on the bike? When dealing with a used bike you always have that uncertainty about what the previous owner did along with the liberties that they may have taken. Only way to be 100% certain is with the bike level on the center stand to fill the crankcase with the exact amount of oil specified in the manual, check and mark the dip stick if need be and then put an oil pressure gauge on it to verify the actual pressure.

Hopefully the extra volume shown on the dip stick was not due to the seller adding STP, Motor Honey or some other heavy oil additive to raise viscosity and get the oil pressure warning light to turn off so he could fool a buyer.

Regardless of the dipstick, if you put 950ml in and it's not running out somewhere then the oil level/capacity is correct. The problem is likely somewhere between the sensor and the dash light, or the oil pump is not working sufficiently. Make sure you have the oil filter installed correctly.
    Regarding the final drive belt - it should have been changed once already. There is no tension adjustment. They just wear out and tend to blow up without necessarily looking worn. You would be wise to do a transmission service, replacing the belt, rollers, sliders and grease the bearing on the inside of the clutch......perhaps after you get the oil pressure light problem resolved.

Sp56
    Last edited by Southpaw56; 05-17-2018 at 09:42 AM.