Thread: clutch issue

apriliaforum newb

clutch issue

Well, i'm doing something to the sportcity 250 '09. I'm trying to change clutch springs. Well, the cover is out, now i wanna extract the clutch bell but is impossible to do. I tried with hands and no effect, i tried with the nylon hammer and making effort with other hand and no effect. I tried to make some force with a big screwdriver and knock with nylon hammer, no effect, it's impossible to extract. I know, there are expensive extractors with multiples or two legs than can be very usefull. I'm looking for handy trick that will be the solution without wasting money in this. Thanks for your time.
    Last edited by Garto; 05-06-2018 at 05:10 PM. Reason: ortography

apriliaforum expert
    What are you trying to gain? If you have not put a larger cylinder and injector on there really is not that much to gain in changing the springs on the clutch aside from a more jerky takeoff and less acceptable manners in town with the clutch disengaging too soon.

Many find the best initial performance investment is in the Puig Sport Fairing.

I understand many have a religious feeling about playing with the clutch but many times its more trouble than anything else with little real gain. I have over 30,000 miles on my original clutch along with the variator and its been no trouble whatsoever.

If you are trying to get the belt to ride out higher on the variator then just go with sliders but be aware that you need to trim the oil sump gasket or the ribs on the back of the belt will grab the gasket and pull it out. You may also need an extra machined washer the same as the one between the outer drive face and the nut to put between the center boss and the drive face so it won't close up too tight and cause issues.

There are no tricks for that. Buy an puller and you have it forever. They are not expensive. While your in there you can inspect, clean and grease. Clean the clutch bell and deglaze your clutch pads.

Sp56

apriliaforum newb
    Rocky thanks for the lessons. You arent the only one who know what the springs do. Look to my need of help, you didnt talk about nothing i need. What i want to gain with springs doesnt matter. How to take the bell clutch of is what i want to do. Now, i have it out. The only thing that i want to gain is colorfull clutch, now is prettier

Have u got incentives with puig?

apriliaforum Junkie
    Quote Originally Posted by Garto View Post
    Rocky thanks for the lessons. You arent the only one who know what the springs do. Look to my need of help, you didnt talk about nothing i need. What i want to gain with springs doesnt matter. How to take the bell clutch of is what i want to do. Now, i have it out. The only thing that i want to gain is colorfull clutch, now is prettier
    Have u got incentives with puig?
    hahaha... he still cites his 30,000 mile benchmark. Did he tell you how he crashed his scooter? Or how long it was down for repairs he nickel & dimed?
    He types an unabridged version of useless info for sure!

Borrow a puller from an autoparts store. You can buy a 3 jaw one for like $25ish. Though I dont know what Spain restricts!

apriliaforum newb
    Sorry. I puke words to rocky. Of course i respect and apreciate his knowledge. But i dont like people who think what take the others as dummies. The phrase "what are ypu trying to gain" seems like he think i'm stupid doing what i want to MY bike. He can explain what i can perform putting harder springs in my clutch and after recommends me about puig. I think this way would be respectfull.

In the way of knowledge, let's talk about relacionship betwen cylinder and injectoreinjector sizes with the rpm of work you can change with springs... I think there is no relacionship... The first is hp the second is rpm. But only is my opinion.

In Spain, the restriction can be over clutch springs in the way of change the rpm at the bike works can be a pollution issue, then the no OEM springs will take you to a punishment, but in spain aren't rpm standard controls, this will be a madness for each scooter to know how it work and mantain a +- rpm because the status of OEM springs... I hope you understand, it's incontrollable what springs you use.
    Last edited by Garto; 05-08-2018 at 03:56 PM.

apriliaforum newb
    In other way, i dont like the way can take this...

Return to the clutch issue, i take it out knocking with nylon hammer to the axleaxle, of course with the nut to protect the metric filaments (i dont know how to say in english exactly).
    Last edited by Garto; 05-08-2018 at 04:00 PM.

apriliaforum expert
    Quote Originally Posted by Garto View Post
    Sorry. I puke words to rocky. Of course i respect and apreciate his knowledge. But i dont like people who think what take the others as dummies. The phrase "what are ypu trying to gain" seems like he think i'm stupid doing what i want to MY bike. He can explain what i can perform putting harder springs in my clutch and after recommends me about puig. I think this way would be respectfull.

In the way of knowledge, let's talk about relacionship betwen cylinder and injectoreinjector sizes with the rpm of work you can change with springs... I think there is no relacionship... The first is hp the second is rpm. But only is my opinion.

In Spain, the restriction can be over clutch springs in the way of change the rpm at the bike works can be a pollution issue, then the no OEM springs will take you to a punishment, but in spain aren't rpm standard controls, this will be a madness for each scooter to know how it work and mantain a +- rpm because the status of OEM springs... I hope you understand, it's incontrollable what springs you use.
    Garto - I did not know nor did I presume what you're trying to resolve nor did I presume your skill level or lack of it. I also did not know what if any mods you were planning or already had done on the engine There are simpler methods of obtaining some gains rather than dissecting the clutch so asking questions clears that up and allows a more useful answer to be given afterwards. I could have, like many other are inclined to, given an uninformed answer and advised you to do something that would waste your time and money which you did indicate you were concerned about however instead I asked a few questions to allow quality advice to be given since I respect how you have to work to earn your money and how much time you have to invest in doing some of these modifications.

Your first topic after stating that "Well, i'm doing something to the sportcity 250 '09" was "I'm trying to change clutch springs" so I addressed that first to determine who I was speaking with and what the real ask on that topic was (higher top speed, clutch engagement at a higher rpm for better off the line performance or something else). The second topic was about removing the clutch bell.

On the second topic - Usually lack of maintenance is why the bell does not come off especially after riding trough standing water and gently tapping the side of it with a wooden or rubber mallet is all it takes to remove it along with letting a little penetrating oil, just on the shaft where it comes through the clutch bell, sit overnight. Brute force with a puller may distort the clutch bell bringing the extra expense of replacing that part too so I rarely advise using one unless you have already resolved yourself to purchasing another clutch bell.

No affiliation with Puig just amazement on how much performance gain you get from installing a $99 Sport Fairing over many other types of much more costly modifications. On the Sport City 250 I view installing the Sport Fairing as the first and most important performance mod to make.

Next mod would be the simpler, easier and much cheaper changing of roller weights rather than tinkering with the clutch which many have learned the hard way after wasting a lot of time and hard earned money.

If I were calling you a dummy I would have said that outright however I really do not believe in calling people names so that would be an extremely rare occurrence. You need to stop reading extra things in-between the lines that are not there. If you look closely between the written lines there is nothing but blank empty space. You, to be honest, have gone to very great lengths to be rude and insulting.

You really need to stop putting a dark slant or assigning bad intentions against people trying to sincerely help you.

I do apologize if you found it insulting that I asked what you were really trying to resolve.
    Last edited by Rockynv; 05-14-2018 at 09:00 AM.

I had the same issue with my BV250 and I used the 3 prong puller and it popped off. Before it went back on I cleaned the splines so it would come on and off much quicker. Springs do break and pads do wear so being able to get to your clutch is a good thing. By the way my scoot only has 8000 miles on it and the clutch did need service because its 12 years old.
    Italian scoots owned: 2003 Scarabeo 150, 1998 Italjet Velocifero, 2009 Vespa GTS 250, 2012 Vespa S50, 2007 BV 250, 1977 150 Sprint Veloce (future project) and Vespa ET2 (future project)