Thread: Griso 1200 8v se front tire wear

apriliaforum prov-nov YellowandBlack's Avatar

Griso 1200 8v se front tire wear

I was wondering if anybody else is having a similar experience, and if so, how they overcame it. The issue is this. The front tire seems to "cup" prematurely. I was very pronounced on the OEM tires. The Pirelli Angels on the bike now seem to be doing better. I have adjusted my riding style, emphasizing more weight shift in the corners, and I stop myself when I feel myself putting excessive force on the bars, and I think that is helping matters, but I've never felt the need to do this on other machines. I do love the bike very much....just wondering if anyone else has experienced this phenomenon?

What tyre pressures are you running and how often do you check them. If you have a leaky spoke or two pressure can drop very quickly leading to cupping and very heavy steering,(Before you fall off! )

What year SE? If prior to 2013 has it been rollerised or, if a 2012, checked for roller tappets.

Pete
    Professional Goat Burster.

Tire pressure set at 34 psi. Should check the manual to see what's recommended. No leakage experienced. Bike is a 2014...no real issues so far...changed cracked breathers under warranty. Just over 8000 miles on it. I am concerned having read posts about swing arm bearings lacking grease. Was this still an issue in 2014?

Yeah, they all need the swingarm bearings and shock linkage bearings packing.

I run my tyres at 36 and 38. Also note that all Grisos come stock with suspension both ends that is grossly under sprung and over damped, especially if you aren’t a tiny, snake-hipped Italian midget! Getting the suspension sorted, along with slipping in some HH brake pads, is the first step towards Griso nirvana. You can live with the springs at the front as long as you crank the preload right up and swap the fork oil for 5wt and use 50-70ml less per leg. That Sachs shock can be made to work but it’s a lot more bothersome as one of the main issues is the damping needles they use are very blunt so small adjustments make a big difference. Getting it re-valves will help but most people just get something better.

Slip a decent map into it and you’ll be amazed at what a competent bike it can be.

Pete

apriliaforum Junkie
    Quote Originally Posted by YellowandBlack View Post
    I was wondering if anybody else is having a similar experience, and if so, how they overcame it. The issue is this. The front tire seems to "cup" prematurely.
    Just to add to what has already been said concerning tyre pressure.
    Don't trust the calibration of a publicly available air gauge. I learnt this the hard way, always buying petrol at the same station, checked pressure like I should and suffered scalloping of the front tyre badly. Until one day I purchased my own gauge and found out that the stations gauge was 4 psi down on reality.
    So from then on I have always over filled, say to 40 psi and bled off the excess using my own gauge back down to what I wanted.

Not saying that this is happening here but its something to consider, along with filling your tyres cold.

I did change the front brake pads very early on, as there was some really annoying pulsing going on. The pulsing only seemed to occur when coming to a complete stop, like between 5 mph and 0 mph. Feared some sort of rotor, or rotor attachment issue, but dealership blamed the pads, and it's been perfect ever since. Went on a somewhat spirited group ride last night....probably the hardest I have pushed the Guzzi. Roller coaster road that seemed to go on forever. Was getting a little beat up, as the Guzzi is a handful to toss around like that, but it was ridiculously fun. It was mostly Ducatis, with a few Triumphs thrown in the mix. The Griso was a huge hit.

Stock suspensionis massively undersprung and over damped. Start off, (Unless you a 12 stone weakling!) winding on the preload and winding back both compression and rebound damping to next to nothin.

Then realise it’s not worth the Craig and get the ,(Very good!) Showas re-sprung, valves and oiled by someone not an idiot.

You *can* waste a lot of time trying to get the stock Sachs shock at the rear to work but really you can buy a much better shock, (I use a lot of Matris shocks.) for what you’ll pay to bugger about with the inferior Sachs.

It’s more than possible to get a CARC Guzzi to handle both comfortably and bloody well. Sure, as you say, it’s a heavy great pig of a thing but set it up right and it’s a damn fine dancing pig!

Pete

I am thinking I should raise the fork tubes in the triple clamps. I see posts stating that the factory setting was 3 rings showing, and the owners would raise the tubes by one or 2 rings. Mine appear to be set at the first ring. Any thoughts on this?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20181021_095042.jpg 
Views:	20 
Size:	477.8 KB 
ID:	369108  

I have a Sachs front end with Matris internals on mine but the length etc. is identical. I run mine at the fifth or sixth ring and when I service the shock again I'm going to get a slightly longer clevis to lift the back end a bit.

The Griso runs heaps of trail and has a wheelbase longer than an aircraft carrier! It takes a lot of effort to make them unstable.

I rode a bog stock 2008 last week after I'd had to fix its bottom end as the tappets had destroyed the big ends. The suspension had never been touched. I couldn't believe how horrid it was! Really awful!

Pete