Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: coil replacement

apriliaforum newb

coil replacement

I have 02 futura that is in need of a spark plug coil. Where do i get one and how much do they cost? Is there an alternative? My dealer wants $188 for it.
    Thanks
    Civiy

apriliaforum newb
    Autoelectricsusa on EBay. $147.00 for two coils shipped. I bought them and they work great.

Quote Originally Posted by Loki View Post
    Autoelectricsusa on EBay. $147.00 for two coils shipped. I bought them and they work great.
    These coils are indeed good, but they need different spark plug wires than OE. Magnecor seems to be the plug wire of choice.
    '07 Aprilia Tuono 1000 R
    '02 Aprilia Futura
    '02 Suzuki Bandit 1200
    '02 KTM 520 MXC SM

apriliaforum newb
    I just received a full set of four, and they included replacement plug wires with them. Magnecor's wires are definitely higher quality than OEM and the included replacement wires, but the replacements look on par with the OEM wires.

Brian

apriliaforum newb
    I read through all the coil discussions on this forum going back over a decade. Some owners have converted Honda CBR coils; others have converted Renault Clio V6 coils. Frankly, none of those options appealed to me because I prefer a plug-n-play solution (and CBR coils are known to make the EFI light blink at high rpm).

After much research, it became apparent that there is only really one simple alternative to buying factory ($$$) coils. The solution for owners in the USA is:

• Coils from Auto Electrics USA on eBay. They come with wires that are probably sufficient but not fancy like...
    • Wires from Magnecor.com that are specifically made to fit Auto Electrics USA coils. Offered in three types. (NOTE: These are US part numbers. Europeans should order from Magnecor.co.uk catalog which has different part numbers.)
      • USA part number 2097 - Electrosports-80 (8mm wire)
      • USA part number 2797 - Electrosports-70 (7mm wire)
      • USA part number 2597 - KV85 Competition (8.5mm wire)

Magnecor.com has no online shopping cart. To place an order you must email orders@magnecor.com and they send you a Paypal invoice. I found them to be very responsive via email.

I recently ordered these items but have not installed them yet.

Hope this helps.

It would be great to see pictures of the coils and wires from Auto Electrics as well as the Magnecor wires once you receive them. I have a set of Magnecors that I ordered to use with the standard coils last year. It would be good to see if the Magnecor for these coils is the same as the ones recommended for the standard coils.
    03 Ash Black, 05 Map (still fiddling), FPR Mod, Mille air box (derestricted boot), K&N style filter, Staintune with no baffles and H Pipe, Falco front forks, Braking 310mm WaveRotors and Ferado pads, Wilbers Triple Adjustable rear shock with hydraulic preload adjuster, Hi beam mod, R/R Mod, Metal QD

Trumpet:
    They are not the same. The Autoelectric coils are originally coil on plug so Magnacore makes a special terminal for them. Worth the plug and play ease.
    Name:  Magnecor HT end for AutoElectric coil.jpg
Views: 397
Size:  11.2 KB

Name:  rear side plug coil.jpg
Views: 404
Size:  75.3 KB

This is the Coil and wire setup with zip ties (2) attached and sealed with silicone dielectric grease slathered on the inside of the boot to seal out the Noah level floods I drive to work in every day.

KB

Quote Originally Posted by 3RS View Post
    I read through all the coil discussions on this forum going back over a decade. Some owners have converted Honda CBR coils; others have converted Renault Clio V6 coils. Frankly, none of those options appealed to me because I prefer a plug-n-play solution (and CBR coils are known to make the EFI light blink at high rpm).
    There are a few of us owners that have gone the CBR route and yes, I have read about the flashing EFi light but I have not encountered this. What I have encountered is an unbelievable difference in the way the bike now runs - can't explain why but it's much much better!! than stock.
    Andy

Current: 2002 Futura RST in Silver
    Datatagged, 05 Map, Metal QD, H Pipe, Bef Cans, RSV De-restrictive Snorkel, RSV Forks & Brakes upgrade, NGK DCPR8EIX Iridiums, Earthed Throttlebodies, FPR Mod, Vee Max Starter Solenoid with uprated cables, FH008EE RR & Wiring Mods, NWS Hugger, Oxford OF691 Touring Hotgrips, Accessory & USB Sockets, HID Headlight, Pirelli Angel GT's

Up in Flames: 2001 Futura RST in Blue
    Datatagged, 05 Map, Skidmarx DB Screen & Hugger, K&N Filter, Brown Connectors soldered, R&G Hotgrips,
    Acumen DGV, Scottoiler, Accessory Socket. BikeVis Bullets

Quote Originally Posted by 3RS View Post
    I prefer a plug-n-play solution (and CBR coils are known to make the EFI light blink at high rpm).
    Quote Originally Posted by Corsehf View Post
    I have read about the flashing EFi light but I have not encountered this.
    The flashing is tough to nail because no codes will appear when not flashing. Flashing comes sooner with prolonged high revs, and sometimes can be duplicated revving to 4K in neutral.

That is how I found my problem. With diagnostic connector shorted, I revved to the blink and a coil code appeared. Inspected and found a poor-fitting primary terminal at that coil, and once corrected, no more EFI blinky.

In brevity, it ain't the Denso coils. It's the sloppy rewire job.
    No Matter Where You Are, There You Go!

So, where would I find instructions on replacing the coils? I see a lot of posts about the coils but I haven't seen a "How to".
    StreetCred

2003 Silver, wiring mod, fuel line mod, de-restricted airbox, HoMade exhaust.

apriliaforum expert thesprocket26's Avatar
    Replacing is fairly easy. Lift the tank, remove the airbox, remove the HT leads, unplug the coil harness connector, remove coil. Replace in opposite order.

if you are converting to CBR or other than factory coils, heres a how-to.

https://www.apriliaforum.com/forums/...utura-Tutorial
    If your idea of sport-touring is multi-position seats, cruise control and electrically-adjustable windshields, youíre probably not Italian and you donít deserve a Futura. - Kevin Duke

2001 RST1000 Futura - GSXR coil mod, Magnecore HT leads, Honda reg/rec mod, custom built twin tail mufflers, LED high beams, LED front turn lamps, LED rear brake and turn lamps, Oxford heated grips, Oberon clutch slave, fancy blue hardware bits, air horn mod, pannier stainless cable retention mod, large Odyssey battery mod, 05 fuel map

Thanks for the link

Quote Originally Posted by thesprocket26 View Post
    Replacing is fairly easy. Lift the tank, remove the airbox, remove the HT leads, unplug the coil harness connector, remove coil. Replace in opposite order.

if you are converting to CBR or other than factory coils, heres a how-to.

https://www.apriliaforum.com/forums/...utura-Tutorial
    Thanks for the link. I think I'm starting to show my age. How did I not find this coil replacement thread?
    StreetCred

2003 Silver, wiring mod, fuel line mod, de-restricted airbox, HoMade exhaust.

apriliaforum prov-nov
    FYI the ebay coils from post #2 are temporarily shipping with the wires. I was told this is because they are out of stock in the US and are coming from the UK where they are sold with the wires. We'll see when they get here in a week or two but I sure hope so.

Quote Originally Posted by Corsehf View Post
    There are a few of us owners that have gone the CBR route and yes, I have read about the flashing EFi light but I have not encountered this. What I have encountered is an unbelievable difference in the way the bike now runs - can't explain why but it's much much better!! than stock.

One of my fut have Honda coils without flashing EFI & the other have Renault clio V6 coils and that since 5/6 years and they work well.

Zag

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast