Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
Results 16 to 30 of 88

Thread: KTM 790 Duke ... it's alive!

  1. #16
    apriliaforum expert Thom's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Heading to No Fuck...VA.
    Posts
    5,843
    My 990 hurt me so much that I'm not sure I can go back to a KTM. Sniff...It was such a piece of shit....
    *New studies show that the active ingredient in Methamphetamines that causes wild sexual urges and the need to use ones body in a destructive manner is actually dehydrated Aprilia Tuonos. Italy has failed to make a statement.*

    2001 Aprilia Futura "Argento"

    2003 Aprilia Tuono Racing "Diavola"

  2. #17
    apriliaforum expert DaveNZ's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    taranaki new zealand beneath mount taranaki
    Posts
    16,326
    Picked up a demo 790 for myself today, Man what a sweet motorcycle, beautiful smooth motor, nice aad torquey down low, an a incredible quick shifter. I'm going to love this motorcycle, did 200kms today of back roads home, its unreal to ride, suspension is very good with its factory fixed settings for my weight. just booked myself a Taupo trackday, a KTM only owners ride day, was going to take the 1290GT, but not now, this thing will be a blast.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0686.jpg 
Views:	23 
Size:	533.7 KB 
ID:	375273
    "Be yourself, because everybody else is taken "..............................In the shed...... Multistrada 1200, Termi full system with matching ECU, and ohlins SCU. KTM 1290 GT. Torque monster. Remus link and muffler, KTM 790 fun machine.

  3. #18
    apriliaforum expert WadeS02's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Pert near on the Agonic
    Posts
    9,517
    You suck. Congrats anyways.....

    What's up (besides the filler cap) with that tank?
    Windmill cancer survivor.
    I don't care about my apathy.

  4. #19
    apriliaforum expert DaveNZ's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    taranaki new zealand beneath mount taranaki
    Posts
    16,326
    Quote Originally Posted by WadeS02 View Post
    You suck. Congrats anyways.....

    What's up (besides the filler cap) with that tank?
    Probably light reflection.
    "Be yourself, because everybody else is taken "..............................In the shed...... Multistrada 1200, Termi full system with matching ECU, and ohlins SCU. KTM 1290 GT. Torque monster. Remus link and muffler, KTM 790 fun machine.

  5. #20
    apriliaforum expert DaveNZ's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    taranaki new zealand beneath mount taranaki
    Posts
    16,326
    Baby brother parked with big brother.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0687.jpg 
Views:	19 
Size:	543.5 KB 
ID:	375311
    "Be yourself, because everybody else is taken "..............................In the shed...... Multistrada 1200, Termi full system with matching ECU, and ohlins SCU. KTM 1290 GT. Torque monster. Remus link and muffler, KTM 790 fun machine.

  6. #21
    apriliaforum expert photoRotor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    N by NW
    Posts
    12,072
    Dave, you're going to overdose on hoonery and shenanigans.
    JD

    Futura
    Bunch of dirtbikes

  7. #22
    apriliaforum expert FTM's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Portsmouth Uk
    Posts
    10,393
    Careful you don't stab yourself on them KTM's Dave, they're just all pointy everywhere. Makes me want to take a grinder to them and round them off a bit .
    FUCK THE MAGS


    Never live the same day twice. (My wife nearly pissed her self laughing when she read my signature line, because she reckons she has never met anyone in the whole of her life who hates change more than me) She does have a point .

  8. #23
    apriliaforum expert DaveNZ's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    taranaki new zealand beneath mount taranaki
    Posts
    16,326
    Quote Originally Posted by photoRotor View Post
    Dave, you're going to overdose on hoonery and shenanigans.
    I'll be 60 this year PR, maybe i grow up then........................................yeah nah.
    "Be yourself, because everybody else is taken "..............................In the shed...... Multistrada 1200, Termi full system with matching ECU, and ohlins SCU. KTM 1290 GT. Torque monster. Remus link and muffler, KTM 790 fun machine.

  9. #24
    apriliaforum expert DaveNZ's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    taranaki new zealand beneath mount taranaki
    Posts
    16,326
    Quote Originally Posted by FTM View Post
    Careful you don't stab yourself on them KTM's Dave, they're just all pointy everywhere. Makes me want to take a grinder to them and round them off a bit .

    Its their style, while most other brands are looking Japanesie, KTM have a different take on aesthetics, i kind of dig it.
    "Be yourself, because everybody else is taken "..............................In the shed...... Multistrada 1200, Termi full system with matching ECU, and ohlins SCU. KTM 1290 GT. Torque monster. Remus link and muffler, KTM 790 fun machine.

  10. #25
    apriliaforum expert JMH's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Location
    Paimio, Finland
    Posts
    2,017
    Pay attention to some coolant and oil swetting. Oil most likely behind the front sprocket and coolant around the thermostat. Some hose clamps have been reported to be left loose from the factory. Re-routing the the fuel cap drainage hose is also adviced. It’s reported to create a lock. I have a picture of that somewhere.

    Nothing major on the new mini-Duke.
    Mille Aarrr -02 (1060 BB, Gen2 heads, 2-2 Akra, timed cams, bespoke Gabro chip + TSS slipper) & KTM 625 SXC -05
    My riding lines are like Hendrix's solos. Unexpected and always different.

  11. #26
    apriliaforum expert DaveNZ's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    taranaki new zealand beneath mount taranaki
    Posts
    16,326
    Quote Originally Posted by JMH View Post
    Pay attention to some coolant and oil swetting. Oil most likely behind the front sprocket and coolant around the thermostat. Some hose clamps have been reported to be left loose from the factory. Re-routing the the fuel cap drainage hose is also adviced. It’s reported to create a lock. I have a picture of that somewhere.

    Nothing major on the new mini-Duke.
    Cheers JMH, The 790 i brought was the bike shop owners personal bike, it also was the shop demo, he's done 2 track days on it, and with a KTM sponsored track day coming up, he didn't want to sell it. I rode up with a mate, he was getting his 939 SP serviced, so i popped in to see the KTM boss, I've brought a few bikes off them, he didn't want to sell the 790, i told his deputy salesman the other bike shops were selling their demo's so id have to go there if i was serious about buying one, well he came back, gave me a great offer on the MV, but said the race tires and crash gear comes off the 790, So id actually not meant to go buy a bike that day, just look at the 900 Dosadora and Shiver, mav be test ride them, But surprisingly they said yes they would do a deal on my MV on the 790, it came with heated grips and the sticker kit. So my answer to your points to watch out for JMH, this 790 has had a good workout, and nothing has arrisen so far, or may be the shop has fixed any issues. Its a cool bike man, so much user friend than the angry MV.
    "Be yourself, because everybody else is taken "..............................In the shed...... Multistrada 1200, Termi full system with matching ECU, and ohlins SCU. KTM 1290 GT. Torque monster. Remus link and muffler, KTM 790 fun machine.

  12. #27
    apriliaforum Member billywhizzz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Barnsley
    Posts
    140
    I really like the look and spec of the 790, its a bike I would like to own meaning I probably will if I can, I know someone who traded down from an MT10, he has no regrets.
    V4R1100
    R1200RS
    TL125S (bored to 190)
    D14 (Bantam) with a TS185 Piston

  13. #28
    apriliaforum expert JMH's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Location
    Paimio, Finland
    Posts
    2,017
    Quote Originally Posted by DaveNZ View Post
    Cheers JMH, The 790 i brought was the bike shop owners personal bike, it also was the shop demo, he's done 2 track days on it, and with a KTM sponsored track day coming up, he didn't want to sell it. I rode up with a mate, he was getting his 939 SP serviced, so i popped in to see the KTM boss, I've brought a few bikes off them, he didn't want to sell the 790, i told his deputy salesman the other bike shops were selling their demo's so id have to go there if i was serious about buying one, well he came back, gave me a great offer on the MV, but said the race tires and crash gear comes off the 790, So id actually not meant to go buy a bike that day, just look at the 900 Dosadora and Shiver, mav be test ride them, But surprisingly they said yes they would do a deal on my MV on the 790, it came with heated grips and the sticker kit. So my answer to your points to watch out for JMH, this 790 has had a good workout, and nothing has arrisen so far, or may be the shop has fixed any issues. Its a cool bike man, so much user friend than the angry MV.
    A fixed specimen is a good buy. Congrats.
    Mille Aarrr -02 (1060 BB, Gen2 heads, 2-2 Akra, timed cams, bespoke Gabro chip + TSS slipper) & KTM 625 SXC -05
    My riding lines are like Hendrix's solos. Unexpected and always different.

  14. #29
    apriliaforum expert bloodnutt's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Perth Western Australia
    Posts
    3,360
    You didn't have the MV long Dave.
    How come ?
    Do not go gentle into that good night,

    Rage, rage against the dying of the light.

  15. #30
    apriliaforum expert DaveNZ's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    taranaki new zealand beneath mount taranaki
    Posts
    16,326
    Quote Originally Posted by bloodnutt View Post
    You didn't have the MV long Dave.
    How come ?
    I initially brought it for my son to ride in NZ when he's over. I thought it would be the perfect bike for him as he has a Triumph 675, and for me to do back roads and occasional trackdays. Thoughts on the MV, very very light extremely nimble, stock suspension total crap, 12 litre fuel tank to small to do longer rides on, 800cc engine is amazing if you are in a hurry all the time, it just wants to go balls out, it has so much reving power, but its never happy cruising, its an animal of an engine, best suited for the track, it was ok to ride in normal mode spiritedly, but in sports mode she wanted to go hard, so i never gelled with it, i had a few great rides with mates when we were all going hard, but it was on a knife edge pushing it all the time. The 790 while it has less power, its awesome around town, its torquey down low, happy to trundle along, or go hard, the engine is easy to live with, where as the triple 800 was an angry go hard all the time motor. The MV wasn't a good choice for me, but my son loved it, he's gutted i sold it, but looks forward to returning home to ride the 790.
    "Be yourself, because everybody else is taken "..............................In the shed...... Multistrada 1200, Termi full system with matching ECU, and ohlins SCU. KTM 1290 GT. Torque monster. Remus link and muffler, KTM 790 fun machine.

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. It's alive!
    By Tybersk8er in forum RS50 Technical
    Replies: 14
    Last Post: 09-10-2006, 08:37 PM
  2. Kick ass KTM 950sm + Duke 990 video
    By AV8OR in forum General Motorcycle Talk
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 09-01-2005, 01:00 PM
  3. KTM super duke
    By RSV4ME in forum RSV Tuono, Tuono R, Tuono Racing, and Tuono Factory (2002-2005)
    Replies: 12
    Last Post: 12-05-2004, 12:21 AM
  4. 2005 KTM Super Duke 990 video - Awesome!!!
    By FuturaDuck in forum RST1000 Futura (all years)
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 09-20-2004, 03:11 PM
  5. KTM 990 Duke: the other Austrian V-twin
    By KDub in forum RSV Tuono, Tuono R, Tuono Racing, and Tuono Factory (2002-2005)
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 09-18-2003, 11:21 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •