Thread: Sportcity dual beam

apriliaforum newb

Sportcity dual beam

Hi there. Im new owner of SC. All from fabric runs as i want, i notice a few improvements for it but costs time and ca$h. But the only mod i want to do is real dual beaming. Not to do work two bulbs at same time on lo or hi setup. Just replace h7 on the two optics for two h4 and set it up to work both with first filament on lo beam and runs only the second filament on both when turn hi on.

To start, i questioned about electric power. H4 has 55w and 70w. Normally this bike runs only one bulb of 50w and change it for lo and hi, but only one is working. I readed about the voltage draw with two h7 working doesnt make problems it seems. But do to work two 70w bulbs its 90w more than aprilia mades this bike for. The less important will be the fuse, just put bigger one and full throttle! But, the wiring... I want to believe it will support the watts also... But, will the regulator burns off cause the augment of energy demand?

After answering that questions and suposes, whats about the handmaking? I make this same conversion on z1000 06 and to match the bulb in the hosing, i mod the plates bulb to make bulb matches into hosing, i can repeat the work. Another handwork will be the wiring. Will be right to use the only wire for each beam and do a derivation to the new bulb? In the case on lo beam is pretty little warming for the stock wire, but for the hi (70w) beam, the stock wiring section will support two 70w bulbs? In that case, the work will be harder i think, change all hi beam wiring for a correct section? I dont know... Thats why i expose this all.

apriliaforum expert
    the 2 headlamps a the same time will melt the headlight so get xenon or led bulbs if you think there is to little light

apriliaforum expert
    The lamp housing on the Sport City looses its reflector and sometimes bulb mount if you add additional wattage and heat. Modify the harness to accept LED to lower wattage while increasing lumens.

apriliaforum expert
    you dont have enough watts extra power. drop in a led bulb and consider a xenon kit but if you do a bad job or blind everyone the resale value could be lower
    --- diploma for engine repair in 2012
    --- custom parts and machining --- porting and polishing
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------
    ---derbi bullet 2006 - piaggio AC - TPR 70CC - giannelli shotV4
    ---1992 lt250r suzuki quadracer - new and improved
    --- complete 2012 wethepeople volta bmx - full sanko seamless chromoly frame/fork/handlebars

apriliaforum expert
    Some may find that if they adjust the rear preload for their weight and then aim the headlights per the manual that the stock headlights are plenty bright.

apriliaforum newb
    Then, the stock will be ok. I run in city normally, i'll be becarefull if i run outside. Led or xenon is not allowed in spain with the bi-anual revision that you must pass

apriliaforum newb
    Quote Originally Posted by Garto View Post
    Hi there. Im new owner of SC. All from fabric runs as i want, i notice a few improvements for it but costs time and ca$h. But the only mod i want to do is real dual beaming. Not to do work two bulbs at same time on lo or hi setup. Just replace h7 on the two optics for two h4 and set it up to work both with first filament on lo beam and runs only the second filament on both when turn hi on.

To start, i questioned about electric power. H4 has 55w and 70w. Normally this bike runs only one bulb of 50w and change it for lo and hi, but only one is working. I readed about the voltage draw with two h7 working doesnt make problems it seems. But do to work two 70w bulbs its 90w more than aprilia mades this bike for. The less important will be the fuse, just put bigger one and full throttle! But, the wiring... I want to believe it will support the watts also... But, will the regulator burns off cause the augment of energy demand?

After answering that questions and suposes, whats about the handmaking? I make this same conversion on z1000 06 and to match the bulb in the hosing, i mod the plates bulb to make bulb matches into hosing, i can repeat the work. Another handwork will be the wiring. Will be right to use the only wire for each beam and do a derivation to the new bulb? In the case on lo beam is pretty little warming for the stock wire, but for the hi (70w) beam, the stock wiring section will support two 70w bulbs? In that case, the work will be harder i think, change all hi beam wiring for a correct section? I dont know... Thats why i expose this all.
    Copying my answer from the other thread:

Probably not a very good idea. H7 and H4 is very different in size, sockets and position of the filaments. You would need very extensive modifications to the sockets to get them to fit physically to start with. And the the two reflectors are differently shaped, one is for low beam and one is for high beam. And the position of the filament/s will be wrong so your light will be all over the place.

Just forget about this dual headlight thing on the SC, it's just not meant to be. The only thing I find viable is to have the low beam on all the times so that when you switch to high beam the low beam stays on.

apriliaforum newb
    Thanks, will be usefull when i need hi beam at dark routes.