Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: 1400cc modification thread

What I will say is that without a change in camming none of the 1400’s are going to make the absurd HP and torque figures claimed by some self professed ‘Gurus’. The head design and porting preclude it. Is there more available? Certainly, but nothing like the claims some are making. Mind you the dyno we use has real horses in it rather than the teams of Preswalski’s horses that seem to inhabit most dynos in ‘Performance’ shops!

Pete
    Professional Goat Burster.

apriliaforum Junkie
    Hi Pete,
    Was at Motociclo a while back and watched John ride back with a 1400 Cali after it being serviced shaking his head disapprovingly.
    I asked what was wrong and he answered "this thing is an angry bike." "Its got a hot cam in it."

So I take it that the character change may not suit everybody.

While not looking for more overall performace, the work that has been done on the mapping to enhance the great parts of the motor sounds promising. Personally I think this a wonderful motor in search of a chassis. Putting it in a Griso and Stelvio must be a hoot.

So with that in mind, what has been done to get these ridable on city streets? The non adjustable front is barely livable but having done every possible adjust combo on the fancy looking rears it is just painful to ride any distance. I contacted Bitubo but they tell me there is no application for late California/Audace. Add the fact the fork is different animal again on Audace, the kits out for the California will not crossover. I understand their are Ohlins/Matris etc rears available but was looking for a complete change from the wallowing and harsh pound of the stockers. Staying planted in the seat on what is left of State of California roads would be nice.
    Last edited by cereal klr; 10-31-2018 at 03:18 PM.
    I thought I would die young, but now its too late.

AFAIK there are no aftermarket cams available, at least not readily. There is a mob in Germany who claim to have something but I believe they insist on selling an entire new set of springs etc. with the cams. The spring set includes conventional double springs rather than the beehive springs the factory uses and I'd have to say with any substantial increase in seating pressures I'd start worrying about loosing valve heads! That kit costs a fortune, I'd be surprised if anyone has sprung for it in Oz.

As for alternatives? It's possible I suppose? I dunno who grinds roller profile cams in Oz. Camming up a 1400 with its tiny, weedy little ports would seem to me like an excercise in futility to me. Decent mapping will pay far higher dividends, you'll not get much more power out of a Cali motor without opening up the ports and in doing that you'll sacrifice bottom end and midrange. It's all about compromise.

Pete

Quote Originally Posted by cereal klr View Post
    While not looking for more overall performace, the work that has been done on the mapping to enhance the great parts of the motor sounds promising. Personally I think this a great motor in search of a chassis. Putting it in a Griso and Stelvio must be a hoot.

Oh it is!

Thread now a year old. Any new secret handshakes? As I see the 1400 series die on the vine here (at least west coast) have to wonder how many more years will Piaggo keep it alive. Still leftover Griso/Norge/Audace/MGX can be had for 30% off list with a bit of internet searching, might have to get another Griso just because they are so good.
    I thought I would die young, but now its too late.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234