Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: Considering The BV350

apriliaforum expert armadillored's Avatar
    Cleveland, Ohio, USA (now in Murrells Inlet, SC
    The BV I drove was new if that makes a difference. When I first got the SC 250 the top speed (as stock) was right at 80. I read that putting in the lighter Dr. Pulley rollers would cut a little off the top end but that didn't happen. The top end very slowly increased for a year and a half after that, till it hit just under 90, and has been there ever since. I would think the BV would accelerate better after a year or so too. And if you put lighter rollers in it ,it probably would accelerate even more. The only thing I didn't like about the BV was it only has one disc brake up front. Though I suppose it is fully capable of stopping hard. Another thing that I noticed was the SC has better acceleration than my '06 BV 500. That really surprised me. The 500 was broken in too at around 6k miles and I did put in lighter rollers too. It was heavier though.
    '67 BMW R69S-"Toots" in rehab
    '09 Silver SC250
    Previous rides:
    '04 Chinese 125
    '06 X9-500
    '08 MP3-400
    '06 BV500

'09 Mana

apriliaforum newb
    The single front disc on the BV350 is significantly larger than most scooters at 300mm. That along with ABS makes it pretty impressive.

apriliaforum Junkie
    Quote Originally Posted by chickdr View Post
    It seems unlikely the rollers and a different brand of oil would add 10mph to your top end(the SC 250 is listed as having a 79.5 mph top speed). Was the BV350 you test drove new? Just as with your SC, the BV takes time to break in. To me the BV doesn't have crushing off the line power, but it just keeps accelerating effortlessly with a smooth wave. I have not topped mine out on the highway, but 90 was easily obtainable (as per the speedometer - likely optimistic). Power to weight ratios of the two scooters shows a decided advantage to the BV - 33hp for 390#(11.8#/hp) vs 21.5hp for 326#(15.1#/hp)
    Good point chickdr, but let me add to it.

You numbers you used clearly show the BV has a 24.8% advantage over the SC250. But, we all know that the bikes do not ride themselves.

So, if you add a 200 lb rider to each bike and run the numbers, the BV with 33 HP is moving 590 lbs and the SC with 21.5 HP is moving 526 lbs. Run the numbers now, and you will see the difference is not 24.8% but 31.1%. I think this is a better real world comparison.

I love my SC250 and is a very capable platform, but the BV350 (I have one of these too) is a more capable and better all around bike.

Jerry

apriliaforum Junkie
    Quote Originally Posted by chickdr View Post
    It seems unlikely the rollers and a different brand of oil would add 10mph to your top end(the SC 250 is listed as having a 79.5 mph top speed). Was the BV350 you test drove new? Just as with your SC, the BV takes time to break in. To me the BV doesn't have crushing off the line power, but it just keeps accelerating effortlessly with a smooth wave. I have not topped mine out on the highway, but 90 was easily obtainable (as per the speedometer - likely optimistic). Power to weight ratios of the two scooters shows a decided advantage to the BV - 33hp for 390#(11.8#/hp) vs 21.5hp for 326#(15.1#/hp)
    Just FYI... engine rings take about 20 mins to "break in"...tops. The clearances (valve, rings, crank, etc) are set at the factory and off you go. And yes the speedos are wildly optomistic. Maybe the BV350 is capable of 100mph... just doesnt seem the demographic that buys it really cares. Also the "rated" power is a joke. The BV is rated north of 30hp... you would be lucky to see ~20 on a dyno @ the tire. The SC is rated at 22hp... again it makes ~15 @ the tire. (I know this for a fact)
    On the same token I also have a large frame vespa that makes ~23hp at the tire with a malossi top end kit and some other work.
    The biggest problem with it is the 12" tires and the silly Rube Goldberg front end and tiny single brake disk. In a straight line its a hoot... not so much slowing or turning.
    Anyway the BV is not my cup of tea... too much of a resemblance to a traditional motorcycle. I would much rather have the SC for overall commuting schenanigans!

apriliaforum Junkie
    Quote Originally Posted by armadillored View Post
    The BV I drove was new if that makes a difference. When I first got the SC 250 the top speed (as stock) was right at 80. I read that putting in the lighter Dr. Pulley rollers would cut a little off the top end but that didn't happen. The top end very slowly increased for a year and a half after that, till it hit just under 90, and has been there ever since. I would think the BV would accelerate better after a year or so too. And if you put lighter rollers in it ,it probably would accelerate even more. The only thing I didn't like about the BV was it only has one disc brake up front. Though I suppose it is fully capable of stopping hard. Another thing that I noticed was the SC has better acceleration than my '06 BV 500. That really surprised me. The 500 was broken in too at around 6k miles and I did put in lighter rollers too. It was heavier though.
    THe Dr Pulley things are junk. Thats a modern vespa myth. The 9 weight polini beats it in every comparo except price. Most posters on modern vespa think they paid a premium price for their precious scooter so they tend to squeek when it comes actually buying good components. As a demographic they would rather load up 100lbs worth of racks and gaudiness. Good for them.
    The Italians and Asians that actually race scooters... they dont use Dr pulley junk or a fuzzy washer. They use traditional roller weights and check the belt travel.
    Also the Sport City comes with garbage square sava tires. Just switching those out makes the scooter much better in every aspect. But like I said earlier... the MV'ers would cry about spending <$200 for a quality set of tires. They worry about "mileage" or some consumer reports benchmark.

I never had any problems with the Dr. Pulley weights. Except they let the sliding pulley close a little further than the stock weights, which is why I had to put in another thin washer to keep the belt from eating the base gasket. I use the stock variator with the Dr. Pulley weights 15% lighter than the stock weights. It drastically improves the acceleration, runs quieter and smoother too. I saw no advantage to the 9 weight polini variator especially considering the price. My SC is the 5th scoot that I put in the Dr. Pulley weights and in each case was completely satisfied with the results. As for the tires, mine came with Maxx tires that are completely round, not squarish at all. The only other thing I changed is the air filter to a Malossi red and the spark plug to an Iridium and the oils to Amsoil 100% synthetic.
    '09 Silver SC250
    Previous rides:
    '04 Chinese 125
    '06 X9-500
    '08 MP3-400
    '06 BV500

'09 Mana

I heard / read somewhere that the BV350 is made in China, is that true????
    '09 Silver SC250
    Previous rides:
    '04 Chinese 125
    '06 X9-500
    '08 MP3-400
    '06 BV500

'09 Mana

apriliaforum Junkie
    I never had any problems with the Dr. Pulley weights. Except they let the sliding pulley close a little further than the stock weights, which is why I had to put in another thin washer to keep the belt from eating the base gasket. I use the stock variator with the Dr. Pulley weights 15% lighter than the stock weights. It drastically improves the acceleration, runs quieter and smoother too. I saw no advantage to the 9 weight polini variator especially considering the price. My SC is the 5th scoot that I put in the Dr. Pulley weights and in each case was completely satisfied with the results. As for the tires, mine came with Maxx tires that are completely round, not squarish at all. The only other thing I changed is the air filter to a Malossi red and the spark plug to an Iridium and the oils to Amsoil 100% synthetic.
    thats great for you but do people that actually race and extract high performance from a scooter use them? The answer is no!
    Because they are worthless.
    Maxxis tires? WHen you remove them go ahead and put them on a scale vs a Michelin of the same size. 2 words... boat anchors!

I heard / read somewhere that the BV350 is made in China, is that true????
    No, the BV 350 is assembled at the Piaggio plant in Italy as are all modern Vespas sold in the US. They undoubtedly use some parts made in China, as does every other powered two wheeler on Earth including a Harley-Davidson. Every motor vehicle has a VIN plate which include the code for the Country and factory where it was built, so you can check for yourself.
    2010 Aprilia Sportcity 300 (sold)

apriliaforum expert
    race and extract hi po from a scoot were talking about hundreds and hundreds of dollars to shave a tenth sec or some such nonsense i leave that to factory riders or riders with sponsors etc . no need waste my hard earned cash on stuff i cannot really see. good tyres and things that make the bike work for me ladder / bike rack .. bags to throw tools etc in .. all these items quickly remove to have the bike naked instantly

apriliaforum Junkie
    Quote Originally Posted by tomd View Post
    race and extract hi po from a scoot were talking about hundreds and hundreds of dollars to shave a tenth sec or some such nonsense i leave that to factory riders or riders with sponsors etc . no need waste my hard earned cash on stuff i cannot really see. good tyres and things that make the bike work for me ladder / bike rack .. bags to throw tools etc in .. all these items quickly remove to have the bike naked instantly
    I mean if thats your true beliefs...why bother changing anything? Your opinion of a "good" tire could vary from the next guy that thinks a "good tire" is also "inexpensive". My personal opinion is that Michelin makes a great tire for the platform. Im glad to know that we now have 2 choices from them (Pures and CityGrips).
    Mileage means bupkiss to me as bragging i got 10,000 miles from a rear tire only reveals the rider is not very heavy or aggressive in their ride habits.

apriliaforum expert
    nope a good rear tyre on a quality bike will make close to 10 K if one only cares about squealing at every light then of course. Jerry, youve spent alot of time mulling over youre vehicles testing weighing things doing math great stuff my brother does same in all his life And work .. and spends all time at it . meanwhile i get to be poor and ride 50K every 18 months or so. i guess its whatever makes one click.. Im old money n stuff like that means nothing now.. one of my best friends is a 1% er and very unhappy .. cant escape what he's done with his time ..

Quote Originally Posted by turboblew View Post
    thats great for you but do people that actually race and extract high performance from a scooter use them? The answer is no!
    Because they are worthless.
    Maxxis tires? WHen you remove them go ahead and put them on a scale vs a Michelin of the same size. 2 words... boat anchors!
    I think the Dr. Pulley weights are better than the stock weights because they last a lot longer and are reasonably priced. I don't care about racing my scoot so if the Dr. Pulley weights aren't good for racing doesn't bother me a bit. The Michelin tires are the best and when my Maxxis tires wear out I'll probably get a set of them. I'll never get the Malossi parts for my scoots because they are way too expensive and may impact the other parts reliability.
    '09 Silver SC250
    Previous rides:
    '04 Chinese 125
    '06 X9-500
    '08 MP3-400
    '06 BV500

'09 Mana

apriliaforum expert
    I think the Dr. Pulley weights are better than the stock weights because they last a lot longer and are reasonably priced. I don't care about racing my scoot so if the Dr. Pulley weights aren't good for racing doesn't bother me a bit. The Michelin tires are the best and when my Maxxis tires wear out I'll probably get a set of them. I'll never get the Malossi parts for my scoots because they are way too expensive and may impact the other parts reliability.
    For street use in the US where there is only 1 road out in Rural Texas that its actually legal to ride at over 80 mph the tall wheel Piaggio 250 with the Dr Pulley's is the reasonable choice. You do not get a really bad hit to fuel economy, they do not make the bike unreliable and they are relatively inexpensive just remember to trim the oil sump gasket if its sticking up. Here in the US a scooter is basic fun transportation fir the vast majority of riders and a stock Piaggio 250 bike with Dr Pulley's gives you a whole lot for your money. The Dr Pulley really can save the street rider hundreds if not thousands on overpriced wasted upgrades which can be left to the relative handful of folks (out of thousands of scooter riders in the US) who actually bought their scooter to race on a track in the US.

Yes the Maxxis tires should be ditched and replaced with the Michelin's however I would not wait until they wear out since yours have likely begun to harden and are more likely to slide out on you now if they are over 2 or 3 years old.

Quote Originally Posted by Rockynv View Post
    For street use in the US where there is only 1 road out in Rural Texas that its actually legal to ride at over 80 mph the tall wheel Piaggio 250 with the Dr Pulley's is the reasonable choice. You do not get a really bad hit to fuel economy, they do not make the bike unreliable and they are relatively inexpensive just remember to trim the oil sump gasket if its sticking up. Here in the US a scooter is basic fun transportation fir the vast majority of riders and a stock Piaggio 250 bike with Dr Pulley's gives you a whole lot for your money. The Dr Pulley really can save the street rider hundreds if not thousands on overpriced wasted upgrades which can be left to the relative handful of folks (out of thousands of scooter riders in the US) who actually bought their scooter to race on a track in the US.

Yes the Maxxis tires should be ditched and replaced with the Michelin's however I would not wait until they wear out since yours have likely begun to harden and are more likely to slide out on you now if they are over 2 or 3 years old.
    FYI: Almost all tire manufacturers recommend replacing tires at 8 years old. Mine are at that point now being the original tires that came with the scoot. Although they are not dry rotted or too hard yet since I keep the scoot out of direct sunlight. When I see a good price on a set of Michelins I'll buy them, most likely in winter when the prices are lower. And I have a motorcycle / scooter tire / wheel balancer I can do that at the same time.
    '09 Silver SC250
    Previous rides:
    '04 Chinese 125
    '06 X9-500
    '08 MP3-400
    '06 BV500

'09 Mana

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast