Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Considering The BV350

apriliaforum prov-nov
    My BV350 was Made in Italy, very reliable, handled good, and fast. I enjoyed it on long fast rides almost as much as my Guzzi. Seat height was too tall for me, but I fixed that with an electric carving knife. Maintenance was quick and easy. If you own one, you most likely would take care of it and polish it occasionally, so it would not look like it sat outside for years. Rear wheel was smaller diameter (as on most modern scooters) so more stuff could go into the pet carrier without the wheel intruding on the space.

Thanks, JACoH. The guys at Vespa Motorsport are of the opinion that the older BV350 seat (with bolster removed) suits taller riders better than the newer style "tractor seat" which locks a guy more in place.

I sure like the 16-inch front wheel, and a single 300mm disc should be plenty for this application.
    Last edited by Ricardo J; 02-20-2018 at 01:45 PM.

apriliaforum Junkie
    Quote Originally Posted by JACoH View Post
    My BV350 was Made in Italy, very reliable, handled good, and fast. I enjoyed it on long fast rides almost as much as my Guzzi. Seat height was too tall for me, but I fixed that with an electric carving knife. Maintenance was quick and easy. If you own one, you most likely would take care of it and polish it occasionally, so it would not look like it sat outside for years. Rear wheel was smaller diameter (as on most modern scooters) so more stuff could go into the pet carrier without the wheel intruding on the space.
    not dogging the bike but 16/16 gives you a much broader tire selection.

apriliaforum prov-nov
    Well I flip flopped. I went to buy the Xmas yesterday and the douche at the dealership was an ass, so I left. I went back to the piaggio dealer, to the folks that have always been nice and bought the 2017 BV 350. I am super happy with my purchase albeit I don’t pick it up til Friday. The Scoot look cool and happy i spend my money with good folks. keep you all posted
    2016 Piaggio BV 350
    2008 Yamaha WR 250

apriliaforum expert
    Quote Originally Posted by turboblew View Post
    welcome to RockyNV logic. He thinks being a few miles inland negates salty air? haha...
    dude is absolutely hilarious! He finally posts pics and its cracking me up to no end.

FYI if youre a dealer with "unsold" units that werent returned to the OEM... you now are an official collector..hehe.

Not a fan of the BV because its too "motorcyclely" for me. If your scooter has a conventional fork then I expect twin disc brakes up front.
    Not some cost cutting single disc setup. Also the odd tire sizes make no sense to me. Should be 16-16 not 16-14.
    Boy am I glad that after a number of people warned me about you that I blocked you although they had recommended stronger action. I just gave you another chance and you have confirmed your true colors again which is why you shall continue to stay blocked.

If older Aprilia and Piaggio bikes in the same exact location under the exact same care do not show anywhere near the same type of degradation what does that tell you about the disparity in quality between them and the newer model? I am comparing apples with apples that were sitting side by side in the same spot for an extended period of time. Even the older rental bikes at the dealership and outside at their beachfront location were holding up better than the unused BV350 under cover at their inland dealership.

Way off base and still blowing it. Maybe I'll give you another chance in a year or so however today you've proven that you still haven't changed your stripes and amended your ways.

apriliaforum Junkie
    people warned you...huh? hahaha BTW, my reply wasnt to you so looks like your strategy
    of blocking user(s) is not working too well.

All I have to do is scan your 6" long post with 4 point fonts and know its jibberish.
    The word of the day is concise.

Small World

While visiting Thousand Oaks Powersports yesterday for my Tuono Factory's 600-mile service the dealer allowed me to take a brief spin (3.2 miles) on a new 2017 matte black BV350, on a mix of surface streets and a brief freeway run in the insanity that is SoCal rush hour. I liked the BV's power and handling, plus the good stability even on an aggressively grooved cement highway. Being new, and not mine, I did not try to pound the thing either.

Negatives included the exaggerated seat hump which locked me in place, too far forward. That had been predicted by others, as it turns out they were right! It would be a problem on longer trips, when I could not move around. Also unsatisfactory was the stock windscreen, very noisy and in my face. The latter problem could probably be solved, the former would involve experiments in expensive full custom saddles with no assurance of a solution.

Amusingly enough, while the guys were readying my demo BV another one was up in service- a customer was looking to sell or trade his black & red 2013 so the guys were looking it over. I scoped it out...with ~15K miles on the odo it was in very nice shape overall, with just minor signs of wear and tear and no corrosion worth noting. It lived a life of urban commuting and had aged gracefully.

apriliaforum newb
    Likely too late for help now but I recently bought a used 17 BV350 with 1500 miles on the clock. It is my 5th scooter. I started with a 50cc Peugeot then to a 150cc TGB, 200cc Vespa GT200 and last was a 220cc Genuine Blur. The BV350 has impressed me so far. Effortless power for freeway cruising, very stable and easy to maneuver. great brakes and a comfortable seat for my 5'10" frame. So far the best scooter I have had. I agree it has some funny Italian quirks, but it is a very solid choice for someone that needs an all around performer. One negative for me is that my full face helmet won't fit in the storage box.

apriliaforum Junkie
    Quote Originally Posted by chickdr View Post
    Likely too late for help now but I recently bought a used 17 BV350 with 1500 miles on the clock. It is my 5th scooter. I started with a 50cc Peugeot then to a 150cc TGB, 200cc Vespa GT200 and last was a 220cc Genuine Blur. The BV350 has impressed me so far. Effortless power for freeway cruising, very stable and easy to maneuver. great brakes and a comfortable seat for my 5'10" frame. So far the best scooter I have had. I agree it has some funny Italian quirks, but it is a very solid choice for someone that needs an all around performer. One negative for me is that my full face helmet won't fit in the storage box.
    +1

I got the factory top case with matching color. I recommend the addition as it matches the lines of the BV + it adds great volume.

Jerry

apriliaforum Member
    I bought my BV350 in March of 2016, after selling my Sportcity 250. I don't regret it. It may be the perfect every bike plus the ability to travel. ABS, traction control, 12v, cruise at 70mph indicated easily, 60 mpg, and hey, it looks good too IMO. I had the water pump replaced under warranty but otherwise it is amazing! I commute with it regularly and it just glides through suburban traffic.
    2016 Ducati Sixty2
    2016 Piaggio BV350

Coming late to the thread - but my wife rides a bv350 to work, probably around 10 miles or so round-trip. We've had it for a few years, we live 3 blocks from the ocean, and I have not noticed any rust or corrosion. I haven't looked super close, but from what I can tell it's in great condition. Something around 5k miles so far. She had a SC 250 previously. It was definitely lighter and more "sporty" and we loved that bike too.

apriliaforum expert armadillored's Avatar
    Cleveland, Ohio, USA (now in Murrells Inlet, SC
    OK, I guess I have to put my 2 cents in this thread. I've owned my '09 Sport City 250 since 2011, bought new. I have since put in 15% lighter rollers and a very thin washer to prevent the belt from eating the gasket. The fuel pump was replaced under warranty. Amsoil in the engine and rear end too. Now have over 6K miles on it and am still getting 75MPG. It took a while to really break in the motor and it now hits 89 MPH easily. I can accelerate with the best of Corvettes till about 35-40MPH when they blow past me, but I'm amazed at how fast it accelerates. It will easily leave most H-D's in the dust too. It' faster than my old BV 500. I had thought to trade in for the BV350 till I took one out for a test run several years ago and found out what a dog it really is. My 250 will easily leave the BV350 in the dust. And no, there is no rust on it that I can see. And the stopping power is fantastic too with those dual discs up front. The dash says it has anti-lock brakes but I haven't been able to confirm that, although I cant lock up either wheel in the concrete only on sand or gravel.
    Ok enough said.
    armadillo
    '67 BMW R69S-"Toots" in rehab
    '09 Silver SC250
    Previous rides:
    '04 Chinese 125
    '06 X9-500
    '08 MP3-400
    '06 BV500

'09 Mana

Quote Originally Posted by armadillored View Post
    I had thought to trade in for the BV350 till I took one out for a test run several years ago and found out what a dog it really is. My 250 will easily leave the BV350 in the dust.
    I have owned a BV 350 and an SC 300. My experience was quite different than yours. The BV accelerated harder and had a higher top end than the SC. I personally think the Piaggio 330 is a great engine. I've no explanation for why our experiences were so different.
    2010 Aprilia Sportcity 300 (sold)

apriliaforum expert armadillored's Avatar
    Cleveland, Ohio, USA (now in Murrells Inlet, SC
    Well. I put in the 15% lighter Dr. Pulley rollers, which made the biggest difference. Then the Amsoil oil in the engine and rear end helped too. After about a year and half the scoot just seemed to really accelerate fast and the top end was way up there to almost 90. I even raced a police car and it didn't pass me till over 60 MPH. I am amazed at the difference those changes made. Although it was no slouch when I got the scoot new. I've thought about getting the "300" engine and even the BV 350 but either of those seem slower. The BV 350 does have a slightly higher top end although how often do you (or me) go that fast,??
    '67 BMW R69S-"Toots" in rehab
    '09 Silver SC250
    Previous rides:
    '04 Chinese 125
    '06 X9-500
    '08 MP3-400
    '06 BV500

'09 Mana

apriliaforum newb
    Quote Originally Posted by armadillored View Post
    Well. I put in the 15% lighter Dr. Pulley rollers, which made the biggest difference. Then the Amsoil oil in the engine and rear end helped too. After about a year and half the scoot just seemed to really accelerate fast and the top end was way up there to almost 90. I even raced a police car and it didn't pass me till over 60 MPH. I am amazed at the difference those changes made. Although it was no slouch when I got the scoot new. I've thought about getting the "300" engine and even the BV 350 but either of those seem slower. The BV 350 does have a slightly higher top end although how often do you (or me) go that fast,??
    It seems unlikely the rollers and a different brand of oil would add 10mph to your top end(the SC 250 is listed as having a 79.5 mph top speed). Was the BV350 you test drove new? Just as with your SC, the BV takes time to break in. To me the BV doesn't have crushing off the line power, but it just keeps accelerating effortlessly with a smooth wave. I have not topped mine out on the highway, but 90 was easily obtainable (as per the speedometer - likely optimistic). Power to weight ratios of the two scooters shows a decided advantage to the BV - 33hp for 390#(11.8#/hp) vs 21.5hp for 326#(15.1#/hp)

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast