Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
Results 16 to 30 of 67

Thread: Considering The BV350

  1. #16
    apriliaforum expert Ricardo J's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2017
    Location
    Far Eastern Pacific
    Posts
    1,751

    Leaky Roof?

    I don't understand how a machine can be showroom-kept yet covered in the filth that's so evident in every photo. Units kept clean and dry in a showroom don't spontaneously rust. I've heard that Florida occasionally experiences high winds. Is it possible they could move salt air and spray a few miles inland?

  2. #17
    apriliaforum expert
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    croatia
    Posts
    2,316
    the BV350 and the scarabeo200 bikes are assembled and produced in china
    there is no quality on them

    the performance is still ok but the materials used on them are a shame for the company

    the old bikes you can put in the rain and in the snow with as much salt as you want, and nothing
    the new ones rust cause the quality of the material is crap.
    I can insure you that this bike never was in EU so its all a Longjia and Zongshen product


    http://www.cccme.org.cn/shop/cccme11393/index.aspx

  3. #18
    apriliaforum expert Ricardo J's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2017
    Location
    Far Eastern Pacific
    Posts
    1,751

    Owners Matter

    Guys, go walk around any big city you'll see plenty of fading and rusting two wheelers of all brands, the stuff that looks like it's never seen a wash bucket EVER. Because the owners don't give a fvck enough to care for it.

    I am just not finding a lot of evidence that the BV350 will self-destruct, and certainly not for an owner who provides it a modicum of "give-a-shit". Looking at many owner threads, videos, and now Cycle Trader ads...where I found this really clean 2013 black & red with 12,765 miles for sale at a dealer in Austin, Texas...it's called AF1. Maybe you've heard of them?

    Whoever the previous owner was he gave it some care, unlike that slug dealer in Clearwater.

    https://www.cycletrader.com/listing/...350-5001583732
    Last edited by Ricardo J; 02-17-2018 at 11:24 AM.

  4. #19
    apriliaforum expert
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Clearwater, Fl
    Posts
    7,642
    Quote Originally Posted by Ricardo J View Post
    I don't understand how a machine can be showroom-kept yet covered in the filth that's so evident in every photo. Units kept clean and dry in a showroom don't spontaneously rust. I've heard that Florida occasionally experiences high winds. Is it possible they could move salt air and spray a few miles inland?
    They would roll it out under their covered patio area during the day to make it more visible. That weathering is just from ambient light and dust from being on display under the patio that is covered and enclosed on two sides. You can see the other bikes displayed there do not exhibit the same level of deterioration.

  5. #20
    apriliaforum expert
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Clearwater, Fl
    Posts
    7,642
    Quote Originally Posted by Ricardo J View Post
    Guys, go walk around any big city you'll see plenty of fading and rusting two wheelers of all brands, the stuff that looks like it's never seen a wash bucket EVER. Because the owners don't give a fvck enough to care for it.

    I am just not finding a lot of evidence that the BV350 will self-destruct, and certainly not for an owner who provides it a modicum of "give-a-shit". Looking at many owner threads, videos, and now Cycle Trader ads...where I found this really clean 2013 black & red with 12,765 miles for sale at a dealer in Austin, Texas...it's called AF1. Maybe you've heard of them?

    Whoever the previous owner was he gave it some care, unlike that slug dealer in Clearwater.

    https://www.cycletrader.com/listing/...350-5001583732
    I am seeing an equally faded bike heavily treated with some type of Armor All to take the edge off of it.

    The reds are several different colors now and the blacks have lost their primary finish exposing the base material in a number of places. The back rest has been removed potentially since it had failed.

    AF1 does their best to clean them up but there is only so much even they can do with a bike as weathered as that one.

  6. #21
    apriliaforum expert Ricardo J's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2017
    Location
    Far Eastern Pacific
    Posts
    1,751

    C'mon Now.

    Seat bolsters on early BV350s were often removed for rider comfort, to allow more room for tall guys.

    Red-colored plastic and red leather are poor choices on anything exposed to sunlight (including through windows!), and a badly faded red leather sofa in my sitting room attests to that. But '17 BV350s don't use those finishes anyway.

    If Clearwater's BV had received even reasonable care the result would not be so poor. For sure, these scooters are not finished to the high standards of Harley-Davidsons but there is no reason it should end up like theirs except slothfulness.

  7. #22
    apriliaforum expert
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Clearwater, Fl
    Posts
    7,642
    Quote Originally Posted by Ricardo J View Post
    Seat bolsters on early BV350s were often removed for rider comfort, to allow more room for tall guys.

    Red-colored plastic and red leather are poor choices on anything exposed to sunlight (including through windows!), and a badly faded red leather sofa in my sitting room attests to that. But '17 BV350s don't use those finishes anyway.

    If Clearwater's BV had received even reasonable care the result would not be so poor. For sure, these scooters are not finished to the high standards of Harley-Davidsons but there is no reason it should end up like theirs except slothfulness.
    The one you linked to was in even worse condition. It was just recently doctored up with Armor All which can in the long run make it deteriorate even faster afterwards however it does fool gullible folks into initially believing things are better than they really are. Down right dangerous to put Armor All on the seat, I jumped on a bike that had been so treated while wearing my rain gear and I had a bear of a time getting it off my rain suit. Initially it made the rain suit slippery and then if just started to blister and peel. I am glad I wrapped a towel on the seat of my own bike to keep any Armor All from rubbing off on it and ruining the saddle.

    The new Piaggios do not appear to be getting finished to the Piaggio high standards of 2009/2010.

    Again the BV350 when you look at the multitude of other bikes in the picture receiving the same care stands out due to its level of deterioration. The others still look like new some of which are rentals but unless you look at the odometers and tire wear you will be hard pressed to tell the difference between the new ones and the rentals unless there is physical damage from a crash or drop.

    I understand that you do not want to hear that all the bikes in the picture receive the same care however that is the deal there and the BV350 is the only one that is deteriorating so badly. Even the 2006 BV500 that had been through rough times sitting outside in a parking lot all day since it had been a daily driver rain or shine was not in such sad shape.
    Last edited by Rockynv; 02-18-2018 at 03:53 PM.

  8. #23
    apriliaforum expert Ricardo J's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2017
    Location
    Far Eastern Pacific
    Posts
    1,751

    No Wukkas

    I'm not sure what looks worse, that poor BV350 or the lazy-ass dealership!

    Thanks for the input.

  9. #24
    apriliaforum expert
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    NorthernVA-EastTN-SWFlorida
    Posts
    777
    My 2007 Aprilia Scarabeo 500ie sits in the parking lot of south Florida gulf beach front condo in SW Florida 6-7 months a year, and then the other months sits in a friends humid garage a couple miles inland.

    One of the mirror stalks is starting to get a little pitting and the same for one of the Piaggio bar end weights.

    Looks new otherwise.

    Vernon

  10. #25
    apriliaforum prov-nov
    Join Date
    Aug 2017
    Location
    Napa CA
    Posts
    80
    I Am sure you all will ban me for saying this but I am now looking at a Yamaha Xmas 300. It’s the same price of the bv. I feel the Yamaha might be better quality.
    2016 Piaggio BV 350
    2008 Yamaha WR 250

  11. #26
    apriliaforum expert Ricardo J's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2017
    Location
    Far Eastern Pacific
    Posts
    1,751
    The used Yamaha Vino 125 I looked at recently did not age well either. Life outside took its toll! For my girlfriend's son I picked up a really nice 2013 Honda PCX150. Now the guy who sold it to me was more than obsessive in caring for it, he could've been a museum curator!

  12. #27
    apriliaforum expert
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Clearwater, Fl
    Posts
    7,642
    Quote Originally Posted by Vernon View Post
    My 2007 Aprilia Scarabeo 500ie sits in the parking lot of south Florida gulf beach front condo in SW Florida 6-7 months a year, and then the other months sits in a friends humid garage a couple miles inland.

    One of the mirror stalks is starting to get a little pitting and the same for one of the Piaggio bar end weights.

    Looks new otherwise.

    Vernon
    Exactly what I have noted about the older Aprilia's around here. Perhaps that is why Piaggio pulled most Aprilia scooters from the lineup. The Aprilia make the Piaggio quality look worse. Yes initially when new the Piaggio look great but a few years down the line the story begins to unfold.
    Last edited by Rockynv; 02-21-2018 at 10:24 AM.

  13. #28
    apriliaforum expert Ricardo J's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2017
    Location
    Far Eastern Pacific
    Posts
    1,751

    Modern Realities

    Cost-cutting is today's reality. Owner involvement adds value. A 2007 Aprilia scooter is...over a decade old now, and they ain't makin' no mo'.

  14. #29
    apriliaforum expert Southpaw56's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada
    Posts
    1,013
    .....and for all the China haters in the crowd, keep in mind Piaggio hired them and put the Piaggio/Aprilia or whatever their brands on them, my '08 Scarabeo 200 is still shiny non-faded red, the chrome bits still shiny, the spark plug wire still pliable and intact, the fork seals not leaking and the list goes on. The key is maintenance folks. Buy it, look after it and be realistic in your expectations of the machine. I'd love a Bv350, but can't get them here.

    Sp56

  15. #30
    apriliaforum Junkie
    Join Date
    Jun 2016
    Location
    Florida
    Posts
    335
    Quote Originally Posted by Ricardo J View Post
    I don't understand how a machine can be showroom-kept yet covered in the filth that's so evident in every photo. Units kept clean and dry in a showroom don't spontaneously rust. I've heard that Florida occasionally experiences high winds. Is it possible they could move salt air and spray a few miles inland?
    welcome to RockyNV logic. He thinks being a few miles inland negates salty air? haha...
    dude is absolutely hilarious! He finally posts pics and its cracking me up to no end.

    FYI if youre a dealer with "unsold" units that werent returned to the OEM... you now are an official collector..hehe.

    Not a fan of the BV because its too "motorcyclely" for me. If your scooter has a conventional fork then I expect twin disc brakes up front.
    Not some cost cutting single disc setup. Also the odd tire sizes make no sense to me. Should be 16-16 not 16-14.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Considering the Mille
    By matt2301 in forum RSV1000 Mille, Mille R, and Mille SP (1998-2003)
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 07-15-2008, 06:23 AM
  2. Consider the consequences of your folly
    By orangeokie in forum SL1000 Falco Forum (all years)
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 12-20-2004, 12:31 PM
  3. Considering the Aprilia...
    By BIGGY in forum General Motorcycle Talk
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 09-27-2004, 08:08 PM
  4. Totaled my Futura, Considering the Tuono
    By diverandy in forum RSV Tuono, Tuono R, Tuono Racing, and Tuono Factory (2002-2005)
    Replies: 18
    Last Post: 05-23-2004, 07:55 PM
  5. Did anyone consider the Piaggio BV 200?
    By Bertman in forum Aprilia and Piaggio 500cc
    Replies: 24
    Last Post: 04-17-2003, 10:06 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •