Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: Considering The BV350

apriliaforum prov-nov
    I have a BV350, 2016, and I love it.
    2016 Piaggio BV 350
    2008 Yamaha WR 250

apriliaforum expert
    Quote Originally Posted by armadillored View Post
    FYI: Almost all tire manufacturers recommend replacing tires at 8 years old. Mine are at that point now being the original tires that came with the scoot. Although they are not dry rotted or too hard yet since I keep the scoot out of direct sunlight. When I see a good price on a set of Michelins I'll buy them, most likely in winter when the prices are lower. And I have a motorcycle / scooter tire / wheel balancer I can do that at the same time.
    Most won't sell of service tires over 5 years old. Michelin does have a 10 year gimmick on some of their car tires however it is just that, a gimmick where you have to pay them to dismount and re-certify the tires every year starting at the fifth year. If it fails re-cert then its game over plus the cost of the re-cert over the last 5 years is greater than just buying a new safe tire. Rule of thumb on motor bike tires is 3 years here in the deep south regardless of whether its a 150, 250, 350, etc. We see a lot of tire related accidents here where tires are over 3 years old on bikes and 5 years old on cages. You are rolling the dice when you ride on a motorbike with a tire that's over 3 years old. Best to stay off the Highway or Interstate if you do.

apriliaforum expert armadillored's Avatar
    Cleveland, Ohio, USA (now in Murrells Inlet, SC
    Quote Originally Posted by Rockynv View Post
    Most won't sell of service tires over 5 years old. Michelin does have a 10 year gimmick on some of their car tires however it is just that, a gimmick where you have to pay them to dismount and re-certify the tires every year starting at the fifth year. If it fails re-cert then its game over plus the cost of the re-cert over the last 5 years is greater than just buying a new safe tire. Rule of thumb on motor bike tires is 3 years here in the deep south regardless of whether its a 150, 250, 350, etc. We see a lot of tire related accidents here where tires are over 3 years old on bikes and 5 years old on cages. You are rolling the dice when you ride on a motorbike with a tire that's over 3 years old. Best to stay off the Highway or Interstate if you do.
    Although I do not race any of my scoots or bikes, I fairly often go on the interstate for very short distances, usually less than a mile or two. Also I don't "hot rod" or drive crazy with them. Almost all of my scoots and bikes have gone well over 3 years with the tires. One reason I have worked for several tire manufacturers (Goodyear, Dunlop, Bridgestone, Firestone, and even Bandag - a retreader for trucks) plus a few others. In all I frequently discussed tire life with the design and manufacturing engineers and all of them mention that the tire life is well over the stated 8 years. It's just that they want you to buy their tires more often. With the modern rubber compounds most tires (US made) will last well in excess of the 8 years they state is the recommended replacement date. However if you feel that replacing a perfectly good tire every 3 years is best for you than by all means do it.
    '67 BMW R69S-"Toots" in rehab
    '09 Silver SC250
    Previous rides:
    '04 Chinese 125
    '06 X9-500
    '08 MP3-400
    '06 BV500

'09 Mana

apriliaforum Junkie
    FYI: Almost all tire manufacturers recommend replacing tires at 8 years old. Mine are at that point now being the original tires that came with the scoot. Although they are not dry rotted or too hard yet since I keep the scoot out of direct sunlight. When I see a good price on a set of Michelins I'll buy them, most likely in winter when the prices are lower. And I have a motorcycle / scooter tire / wheel balancer I can do that at the same time.

The maxxis tires are absolute trash. They might work good on a 50 or 125cc Chinese junker. Aint no way would I be trusting my safety to them. I hope to hell you are geared up riding that junk.

apriliaforum expert
    Although I do not race any of my scoots or bikes, I fairly often go on the interstate for very short distances, usually less than a mile or two. Also I don't "hot rod" or drive crazy with them. Almost all of my scoots and bikes have gone well over 3 years with the tires. One reason I have worked for several tire manufacturers (Goodyear, Dunlop, Bridgestone, Firestone, and even Bandag - a retreader for trucks) plus a few others. In all I frequently discussed tire life with the design and manufacturing engineers and all of them mention that the tire life is well over the stated 8 years. It's just that they want you to buy their tires more often. With the modern rubber compounds most tires (US made) will last well in excess of the 8 years they state is the recommended replacement date. However if you feel that replacing a perfectly good tire every 3 years is best for you than by all means do it.
    My father was a chemical engineer who designed many of those formulations and with the soup of incompatible formulations they sometimes laminate together 8 years is a bit of a bold and rosy view of the matter. My Uncle and Cousins designed and built the vulcanizers and presses having over 100 years experience in the industry. Tread separation incidents here involving tires over 5 years old have pretty clearly shown that 8 year claim to be quite false. Yes my Father did design some 50 year tires for the Military however those are pretty unique, frightfully expensive and the storage requirements are quite rigorous. With the extensive experience my family has had in rubber chemistry and manufacturing tires you'll never sell me that a $100 4,000 to 8,000 mile scooter tire which should be worn out in less than 2 years will be safe for more than 3 years.

You roll your own dice on this but please don't take down a bunch of others with you. Just because a very vocal few get away with it does not mean that its a safe practice for everyone to follow.

apriliaforum expert armadillored's Avatar
    Cleveland, Ohio, USA (now in Murrells Inlet, SC
    Quote Originally Posted by Rockynv View Post
    My father was a chemical engineer who designed many of those formulations and with the soup of incompatible formulations they sometimes laminate together 8 years is a bit of a bold and rosy view of the matter. My Uncle and Cousins designed and built the vulcanizers and presses having over 100 years experience in the industry. Tread separation incidents here involving tires over 5 years old have pretty clearly shown that 8 year claim to be quite false. Yes my Father did design some 50 year tires for the Military however those are pretty unique, frightfully expensive and the storage requirements are quite rigorous. With the extensive experience my family has had in rubber chemistry and manufacturing tires you'll never sell me that a $100 4,000 to 8,000 mile scooter tire which should be worn out in less than 2 years will be safe for more than 3 years.

You roll your own dice on this but please don't take down a bunch of others with you. Just because a very vocal few get away with it does not mean that its a safe practice for everyone to follow.
    Personally I think you have the information on tires that were made before about 2000. After that date the manufacturers computerized the compounding process and vulcanizing process to maximize the abrasion resistance, adhesion, and therefor tire life of their products. This is especially true for Goodyear and Michelin but the other manufacturers are now doing it too. Granted if you buy "racing tires" you will get very soft compounded tires that will wear out quickly. But for the average person that buys a good tire it will last a long time if taken care of properly.
    '67 BMW R69S-"Toots" in rehab
    '09 Silver SC250
    Previous rides:
    '04 Chinese 125
    '06 X9-500
    '08 MP3-400
    '06 BV500

'09 Mana

apriliaforum Junkie
    wow just when I think Rockynv is out of qualifiers for all the decisions he makes...he comes up with a real whopper!
    Well my father was president of a Union and I know abolute fuck all about em!
    My brother is a real life train engineer! Again I know that train tracks are for jumping!

I had a set of Dunlop race tires from 2009. Somehow they managed to get forgotten in the back of my hall closet.
    I mounted them up and rode the piss out of those 9+ year old tires. I didnt die, crash, have any issues whatsoever.
    Of course I had a another set of tires mounted on rims as a backup... and didnt need them!

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345