Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Removal of speedo sensor cable from hub? Help me.

Quote Originally Posted by spacewrench View Post
    Since I have my rear drive apart (and recently cleaned by somebody with better equipment than I have!), I figure this is a good place to ask:

The sprocket-and-cush-drive unit that comes off in one giant lump (approx. 10-23 in the parts diagram) appears to have a ball or needle bearing around the splined socket in part 23. Did Aprilia really put a bearing to isolate the rear axle from the sprocket and chain? Even though it doesn't rotate at all by hand, and I'd guess it doesn't rotate more than +/- 5 degrees under load? Is that really the best, most efficient, least expensive way of accomplishing that? Seems like the bearing would wear heavily over the small rotation range, and not at all over the rest of the circle.
    they are separate pieces. Only friction from an o-ring and maybe the surface tension of the grease holds that thrust assembly to the back of the hub. With a lot of rust, it's very conceivable that the thrust assembly would stay put.

Yeah, iirc, the actual thrust bearing is a radial needle bearing. And yes, it's only going to move by how much the cush rubbers compress in sum in both directions (more obviously from acceleration).

Last time I had mine apart, I saw no wear on the bits flat bits that surround the bearing, so not really sure that's an issue. And if it were, it would pale next to the headaches this rear assembly has caused over the years.

Single sided swingers are cool, but that whole rear axle assembly is just so complex and expensive. Aprilia sure didn't do us any favors by saving a few pennies on grease at assembly.

Quote Originally Posted by RAS View Post
    Aprilia sure didn't do us any favors by saving a few pennies on grease at assembly.
    Just my opinion.
    Aprilia ETV 1000 Caponord Rally Raid 2004
    Aprilia RST 1000 Futura 2001
    Aprilia RSV 1000 R CE Replica 2003

apriliaforum prov-nov PaydayGabe's Avatar
    In my modest amount of research regarding the complete rear hub assembly and its subsequent service, , or lack of, I have yet to see any mention of using a high grade Moly lubricant on the spline assembly.
    As BMW and Honda recommends anytime the rear wheel is removed.
    The Moly is required not only for the lubricant properties but also for the adhesion properties(doesn't sling off from the hub rotation).
    Regular greases and Anti Seize will eventually spin/sling off. Leaving dry splines, which will obviously wear quicker.
    Food for thought?. G.

Quote Originally Posted by PaydayGabe View Post
    In my modest amount of research regarding the complete rear hub assembly and its subsequent service, , or lack of, I have yet to see any mention of using a high grade Moly lubricant on the spline assembly.
    As BMW and Honda recommends anytime the rear wheel is removed.
    The Moly is required not only for the lubricant properties but also for the adhesion properties(doesn't sling off from the hub rotation).
    Regular greases and Anti Seize will eventually spin/sling off. Leaving dry splines, which will obviously wear quicker.
    Food for thought?. G.
    Think I used the same Li based grease on the splines that I used inside. You can use anything you want there. The problems that usually occur in that assembly start with the cush hub nut getting loose (not because it unscrews, but due to compression of flanges or whatever). That causes the axle to get mushroomed between the 2 inner races of the king bearing. Combine that with the rust that seems to seep in to the axle, it becomes impossible to disassemble w/o destroying things.

The cush assembly has mating spines so I can't see how grease can go anywhere - it certainly can't get flung off. Moly will be fine there, just don't use moly in bearings that spin or roll as the molybdenum bits can actually be harder than the steel and cause wear.

apriliaforum prov-nov
    Just an aside, I notice the AF1 has lowered their price on the OEM king bearing
    from stratospheric to painful, in case anyone is looking.............

https://www.af1racing.com/store/Scri...idproduct=3169

apriliaforum prov-nov PaydayGabe's Avatar
    Yeah, I saw that refreshing price reduction also. No complaints here.
    I'm a believer in preventive maintenance and anything to avoid a catastrophic failure.

I'm waiting on new brake pads from AF1, so naturally once they arrive I'll be going into the rear hub assembly and hope no issues arise. This machine had an extensive service before my purchase(at AF1 in fact, tires etc.) so fingers are crossed.

Hey AF1 Guru's, what are your thoughts/recommendations regarding services for the rear hub/axle?
    Thanks for the replies, ,
    I also have a thought/ suggestion.
    AF1RACING could supply some of their components in a Kit form as an "option" when purchasing. You know, all the required goodies in one bundle?
    Lol, at a reduced kit price?
    Just thinking out loud. G.

Possibly, the single most important thing you can do is to remove those teeny screws from the Cush hub nut and put a torque wrench on it.

Every tire change will due - say 5 k miles. You've already got the wrenches out anyway.

Only exception, If you take it apart, I'd recheck it after a few hundred miles.

Btw, there's no mention of this in any Aprilia maintenance schedule.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12