Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Trickle charger or disconnecting battery over winter, which is best?

apriliaforum expert coolonthecoast's Avatar

Trickle charger or disconnecting battery over winter, which is best?

As per the heading, I've used a trickle charger on my bikes which are laid up over the winter months for many years now. In the good old days, 30 or 40 years ago, I used to disconnect the battery and give it a charge up prior to using the bike again in Springtime. I know older bikes didn't have the complex electronics most modern machinery now comes with, but in terms of battery longevity I'm sure my old method of taking the battery off and refitting it for the new riding season made the battery itself last longer or are my rose tinted glasses steaming up? i.e will a battery last longer if its constantly taking a (small) power drain connected to the bike and topped up with a trickle charger or if it' s taken off and stored and fully charged up immediately before regular use again? Or is it just modern batteries aren't made to last??
    Last edited by coolonthecoast; 01-02-2018 at 05:35 AM.
    40 odd powered two wheelers over 40 odd years. Currently in the garage are a 2016 Tuono V1100RR and a '79 Honda CB550F

I keep mine on a charger and unplug it periodically, the cold itself doesn't necessarily ruin a battery I believe it exaggerates symptoms of an already failing battery but, It's better have it plugged in and maintained unless you go with a lithium battery then I believe you can just let them be.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

On the charger, basically full time. I had great results with this approach on all my previous Aprilias- excellent battery life, no hard starting issues or dash resets, ever. If there's a downside to this it was never experienced in 17 years! I suspect a Capo 1200's added electronics (and parasitic power loss) will flatten its battery sooner, so on the charger she will stay.

apriliaforum Member
    +1 on the charger all the time. I have four that stay on chargers any time not being ridden and the caponord has a lithium battery, no issues.

My charger is a run of the mill Deltran Battery Tender Plus! unit, nothing exotic. Each bike gets a pigtail for quick connections, no messin' around.

Having trashed two stators on previous Aprilias by not keeping the battery in tip top condition both the Capo and the Falco are kept on constant trickle charge using Oxford Oximiser 900s.
    The Delicate Sound of Thunder

apriliaforum Member
    I have mine on a deltran battery tender as well. Have used them for years on my triumphs and seems to work on the capo just fine.

When I had the Capo I removed the battery and charged it on optimate every couple of weeks the first winter. No power in the garage so for me that was the best option, second winter I just left it on the bike and ran the engine about every 6 weeks, same as I am doing with the KTM.

apriliaforum prov-nov
    As far as I know all batteries will slowly discharge if there is no charge going into it and the battery is just sitting. Trickle charging the battery, in or out of the bike is best.
    In UK
    1973 Honda C90
    1975 Suzuki GT185
    1976 Yamaha RD350 air cooled
    1978 Suzuki GT500
    In Australia
    1982 Yamaha XT500
    1984 Yamaha XT550
    Yamaha XS650
    Yamaha XS400
    1985 Yamaha XS750
    Yamaha XJ900
    1986 Suzuki GSX750ES
    1987 Ducati Pantah 600
    Kawasaki Z900
    Lost license
    1989 Honda CB250RS
    In India
    2003 Royal Enfield Bullet 350
    2004 Royal Enfield Bullet 500
    In UK
    2015 Triumph Scrambler
    2016 Aprilia Caponord TP

apriliaforum prov-nov
    A few others have mentioned the Deltran Battery Tender. It must be stressed that these are SMART CHARGERS, not dumb Trickle Chargers. A big difference. They reduce the amps AND the voltage as the battery reaches full charge.
    I've used BT's for years, the best way to prolong your battery.
    A dumb trickle charger will ruin a battery if left on for extended periods.
    Ed
    Ed
    2015 Travel Pack (since 5/2017)
    2007 Triumph Sprint 1050 ABS (for 3 years)
    1998 Honda VFR800 (for 15 years)
    et. al. (since 1977)

taranaki new zealand beneath mount taranaki
    Quote Originally Posted by Falcoholic View Post
    Having trashed two stators on previous Aprilias by not keeping the battery in tip top condition both the Capo and the Falco are kept on constant trickle charge using Oxford Oximiser 900s.
    Im heading into town right now to buy a new one like this. Dog chewed my trusty 12 y/o Oxford Optimiser charger.
    "The Earth is our ancestor....A restless Planet is our creator"..............................In the shed...... Multistrada 1200, Termi full system with matching ECU, and ohlins SCU. KTM 640 supermotard, with full titanium system and a shit load of spares. (track bike) and a 1290 GT. Torque monster. Remus link and muffler, MV Rivale 800, Termi exhaust, heaps carbon fibre.

Lucky Dog!

Chewing wires is not a behavior for long life!

taranaki new zealand beneath mount taranaki
    Quote Originally Posted by DaveNZ View Post
    Im heading into town right now to buy a new one like this. Dog chewed my trusty 12 y/o Oxford Optimiser charger.
    Well they never had an Oxford, so i got this one, and it was on sale with 50 bucks off. and it came with a lot of stuff, back pack, a multi tool, and 2 sets of batery connections. Very happy.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0009.jpg 
Views:	8 
Size:	498.4 KB 
ID:	349294
    "The Earth is our ancestor....A restless Planet is our creator"..............................In the shed...... Multistrada 1200, Termi full system with matching ECU, and ohlins SCU. KTM 640 supermotard, with full titanium system and a shit load of spares. (track bike) and a 1290 GT. Torque monster. Remus link and muffler, MV Rivale 800, Termi exhaust, heaps carbon fibre.

apriliaforum expert coolonthecoast's Avatar
    I have a Ctek, I keep a spare set of contacts for both my bikes and swap them over from time to time.
    40 odd powered two wheelers over 40 odd years. Currently in the garage are a 2016 Tuono V1100RR and a '79 Honda CB550F

I just bought a Battery Tender for the Capo and for my Moto Guzzi V7. I live in an area with fairly mild winters so pretty much ride year around and never felt the need for one in the past, but this year the work schedule and unseasonable cold (for us) made me decide to go for it. Both bikes were sitting for a week when I hooked them up to the pigtails and the Capo showed fully charged in just a few minutes. The V7 took a bit longer. They are both 2015s but the V7 has the OEM battery, and the Capo I upgraded to a 16 amp Yuasa a few months ago to address the 'hot start' issue. Happy with my purchase so far!
    __________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ ____

Current: 2015 Caponord, 2015 Moto Guzzi V7 Special
    Gone: 2009 Aprilia Mana 850,
    2001 Aprilia Scarabeo 50,
    2002 Futura

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast