Thread: Water Return Hose Blown!

apriliaforum prov-nov

Water Return Hose Blown!

Hello to everyone.

I have 2002 peggy with 62.000 km. My radiator was have some leak on it. I've fixed it with Stop Leak powder, but also it was loosing coolant.

Yesterday night my hose blown up. (Number 16)

What can be problem? Oil is ok. It's only oil. No color chage or something else. No white smoke. No overheat. It was allways 60 degree while running, but in stuck traffic it goes 80 with running fan. My radiator type is new one. (which photo at bottom)

After several hours of stop coolant hoses has pressure on them. (16 & 11) My mechanic says engine is ok.

What can I do?

Thanks...

apriliaforum Junkie
    Your hoses are 15 years old... so it's not too surprising they have a problem.

BUT, I'm not sure I really understand your issue. Your radiator is new, but it you think it leaks? Your hose is "blown up", but it holds pressure? Is it still losing coolant????

Fix the leak problems first before looking for the cause of a falling coolant level. Replace the hoses with new and install with the correct clamps. Refill, bleed out any air then pressure-test your system. If no leaks are apparent, look closely at the waterpump, specifically the vent hole between the seals. If you still find nothing, suspect the head gasket and test appropriately (compression test, contamination of coolant).

Cheers... Paul

apriliaforum prov-nov
    Paul thanks for your answer.

I think I didn't choose right words.

My radiator is old but no leak after using powder. My blown hose was new. I've changed it 2 weeks ago.

My radiator is new type. Cap is look like 2nd photo.

apriliaforum Junkie
    No worries ero, I appreciate it is not so easy to write in a language other than your mother tongue. I've been doing it for years (French) and I still find it very difficult to be accurate.

So your radiator is old, but of the new type. It had a leak, but you have sealed it. Your hose was new, but it has split and you have now replaced it. Is that correct?

Are you using the expansion tank? It should connect to the small hose leading from the radiator cap and it is important that the hose is not split and clamped correctly.

Cheers... Paul

apriliaforum prov-nov
    My original hose was looking like balloon Getting twice bigger than it self. I also changed it (not original) but the new hose blown up. I'll check it tomorrow but I also checked it with hand (not eye ) and I think it looks like cut with knife. There is a shapely blown. I'll send photos of it tomorrow.

Of course I'm using expansion tank. Before changing hose, it fill up by self to the top. Too much coolant in it. Also I removed them to the max level of tank.

Another interesting thing is; while my hose blown my temp gauge shows 70 degree celcius but I can touch the leaking coolant. I doesn't look like 70 degree. Maybe 40 or 50 degree.

Thanks.

apriliaforum prov-nov
    We found the problem.

Firstly thermostat, it's started problem sequence

Second step is of course head gasket. I'm changing it...

Thanks everyone...