Thread: Newbie needs buying advice on a 2009 Mana...

apriliaforum newb

Newbie needs buying advice on a 2009 Mana...

Hi friends,

Apologize in advance for my newbie-ness!

So, I'm a new old rider. Bought my first, uhh, scooter (a Suzuki Burgman 400) a couple of years ago, at age 60. Have loved it, but yearned for something more, and aware of my limitations in response time and the aches and pains that come with growing older...

Was looking at purchasing a Honda NC700X with DCT, but have been really drawn to the Mana. Came across a 2009, with less than 1000 miles on it. A rider who was a bit overwhelmed with his Mana, and basically left it alone. Had the 600 mile service, but little else besides a new battery - obviously because he didn't have a tender on it. Otherwise, it's flawless.

I have the Big Questions on the bike: Honda vs. Aprilia, dealer network (I'm in NJ), the bikes in general and this bike in specific. Probably garaged for most of its life, no useage. The LAST thing I want is an unreliable bike, difficult to maintain and fix. I've had that in cars, and man, that stinks. My wonderful wife, who has been reluctantly supportive of my hobby, will turn on me on a dime if this beast starts costing me money I/We don't have to spend on this. I've found a kind of no-brainer Honda, the easy decision, but want to be talked out of it. Can you Aprilia Mana experts help?

Quote Originally Posted by pawprint1125 View Post
    Hi friends,

Apologize in advance for my newbie-ness!

So, I'm a new old rider. Bought my first, uhh, scooter (a Suzuki Burgman 400) a couple of years ago, at age 60. Have loved it, but yearned for something more, and aware of my limitations in response time and the aches and pains that come with growing older...

Was looking at purchasing a Honda NC700X with DCT, but have been really drawn to the Mana. Came across a 2009, with less than 1000 miles on it. A rider who was a bit overwhelmed with his Mana, and basically left it alone. Had the 600 mile service, but little else besides a new battery - obviously because he didn't have a tender on it. Otherwise, it's flawless.

I have the Big Questions on the bike: Honda vs. Aprilia, dealer network (I'm in NJ), the bikes in general and this bike in specific. Probably garaged for most of its life, no useage. The LAST thing I want is an unreliable bike, difficult to maintain and fix. I've had that in cars, and man, that stinks. My wonderful wife, who has been reluctantly supportive of my hobby, will turn on me on a dime if this beast starts costing me money I/We don't have to spend on this. I've found a kind of no-brainer Honda, the easy decision, but want to be talked out of it. Can you Aprilia Mana experts help?

Why am I sitting home on NYE? I'm your age... the experts will weigh in soon. 'Till then -

Anyway, the Mana is great for your situation - can you (nearly) flat-foot it? The Honda is a bit easier on the inseam, as I recall. I love my 2013 GT, and many love the earlier model - basically cosmetic changes between them + ABS. You will hear concerns about a 7 year old bike that has been sitting around not being run - fuel system, tires, ... If you like the bike, get a new (er) GT ABS model, and save potential headaches, new ones are heavily discounted, 2-year warranty. Dealer network is spotty. But if the 2009 is a reallll bargain...you get what you pay for.

I have a 2009 Mana Gt ABS and my daughter has a Honda NC700S. They both weigh about the same but the Honda has a lower centre of gravity so feels lighter to push around. The X is a bit taller than the S but still has the low C of G. Honda have updated the range which is now 750cc and in the process fixed a lot of little niggles which have been a big improvement.

My GT sat in a showroom for 12 months before I bought it and had stuck brakes as a result so if you go for the Mana make sure the calipers are working correctly. You will almost certainly also need to change all the fluids as they degrade over time not just with use. Going for the Mana or the DCT Honda means you will need to find a dealer eventually for either bike to service the transmissions as both require service tools that the average home workshop doesn’t have, but other than that both are pretty simple to service. Having fixed the issues I had with my Mana that were down to the lack of use, I can pretty much jump on it and ride whenever I want without having to do anything other than kick the tyres and check the oil. I know my daughter is the same with the Honda. Both seem to be bullet proof reliable.

Having looked at both when I was shopping around I’m still happy that I opted for the Mana. I have done quite a bit of work to it to bring it back up to top condition, but that was mostly down to neglect from the previous owner when it was used or things that I wanted to do to improve it for me. I guess it comes down to personal choice, but I still prefer the growl of the V twin on full chat...
    2009 Mana GT ABS; Andreani fork cartridges with uprated springs; Dorsoduro hand guards and heated grips; 30mm handlebar risers; Digital tachograph: Modified woodcraft folding brake pedal; R&G frame sliders

apriliaforum Member
    I agree with Andy, we tried a new Honda NC750 auto on a test ride and found the Honda to be a hard ride and a hard seat even two up and while it is very good on fuel it was gutless and I did not like the fact it changed up three gears in 25 yds from start off and you could hear and feel it doing it, where as the Aprilia Mana GT is smooth and has the power, very good brakes, and very good road holding and is quite happy two up but the fuel consumption is a shade more than the Honda but still quite good mine is in the low to mid 50's as a rule and while the belt change is not that cheap it is nothing like as bad as BMW for parts or service the last BMW I had was an R1150RT and the ABS pump replacement was 1500 and the rear wheel bearings was 300, where as the belt replacement with a full service on the Mana was just under 400 including all parts the belt costing 80 on it own, so I do not think that is a bad expense at 12000 miles for the belt, but as a last comment it is a very nice and very well planted bike to ride.
    good luck with your choice but I know which one I would have :-)
    Keith

apriliaforum expert dadsafrantic's Avatar
    buy it and do what these guys have said to do. i took over an 08 in april last year and have put 18,000 miles on it no problem. any questions i have had have been answered straight away here on the forum. great commuter for me.
    Dadsafrantic

2015 Red Caponord #64
    2008 Mana Grey #81, hyperpro springs and shock, gpr furuore, rigid lights, bark busters, kaoko throttle lock, puig touring screen

apriliaforum newb
    Some really good advice, folks, and thank you for it. I'm obsessing a bit over this. I think that the Honda is a "safe" choice: PROBABLY (?) more reliable, more service choices locally (here in NJ), but (and I'm sure I don't have to tell you) - there is something about an Italian Aprilia. Feel free to continue to feed my obsessions...

And Happy New Year!

Stuart

Yes, Honda will be the "safe" choice, it will not be the exciting, comfortable choice for some. Someone wrote somewhere that Aprilia is becoming the Honda of Italy. My two years of experience along with what I read on this forum seems to concur.
    My suggestion would be, if you can find a dealer within a reasonable distance that can perform the belt change and transmission retraining, go for it. This will likely be the most complicated and expensive maintenance you require, anything else can be done at any bike shop. You could likely purchase two Manas for the price of one Honda making it an inexpensive ride in the end.

Hope that helps,
    Tim

Sent from my SM-G935W8 using Tapatalk

apriliaforum newb
    We looked at an NCT750 Honda. I was quite disappointed with it. The quality seemed poor and it looked as though it was really meant to be fully enclosed, everything was hanging about, exposed.

On riding it I was disappointed again. It changed to a high ratio very quickly and it certainly wasn't in any way lively. No light in the tank storage either, many pressed stee partsl, not cast or forged. Done quite cheaply I thought.

The Mana, by comparison, semed a quality machine, well put together with quality parts and much more a complete machine, not meant to be sold in many variants.

The ride just was no comparison. The Honda was very disappointing.

We bought it and nearly three years later have no regrets. No breakdowns, no failures, nothing.

Be sure you have a dealer who can do the drive belt change and the retraining afterwards though. You could probably change the belt yourself but won't be able to retrain it.

In short, buy one! Lovely bike that suffered from biker's prejudices. I bet many drive auto transmission cars quite happily...

Ian.

apriliaforum newb
    Hi all,

So, it took me a while, but looks like I've done the deal, and I am thrilled at what I'm getting. A 2014 Mana with around 1400 miles on it, and a 2 year warranty. Found it at a dealer in Maryland, so it's a bit of drive (I'm in NJ). They are taking my Burgman in a trade and I know I could be doing better selling it myself, but it is the deal I made with my wife, who doesn't want 2 bikes in the garage. After many years of marriage, she probably knows me a little TOO well. She's not altogether crazy about this, but, well, is a very good wife...

Anyway - I started looking to buy a Honda CTX700, and almost had a couple of deals. Then, moved on to a Honda NC700X, and almost had another couple of deals. And then found the Mana - and that bike just kills me. This one I've settled on is just beautiful. I wanted to thank you all for helping convince me, and turning my mind upside down in the process. More to follow...

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	file.jpg 
Views:	25 
Size:	530.5 KB 
ID:	349795

That looks like a lovely example. You will have a blast riding it home. Interesting to see the cosmetic changes to the '14 bike compared to my '09. Lots more black components on this.
    2009 Mana GT ABS; Andreani fork cartridges with uprated springs; Dorsoduro hand guards and heated grips; 30mm handlebar risers; Digital tachograph: Modified woodcraft folding brake pedal; R&G frame sliders

apriliaforum expert spartan1984's Avatar
    Excellent choice and congrats on your purchase. You'll definitely enjoy it.
    spartan1984

2010 Mana 850 GT (totaled)
    2009 Vespa LXV 150 (sold)
    2008 Piaggio MP3 500 (sold)
    2015 Aprilia Caponord/TP (sold)
    2017 Ducati Supersport S
    2014 Kawasaki Concours (long distance commuter/tourer)

apriliaforum Member
    very nice I love the colour
    Keith

apriliaforum prov-nov
    Like it. Changes such black engine components are just the circle of fashion going around I guess..