Thread: oil leak + triangle

oil leak + triangle

the bike 2010 RSV4R 22000 kilometres, basically happy with the bike but sometimes I have a f-ck this moment. I find general riding no problems , when I do track or extended high rev riding oil leaks from valve covers. I see a fix for it in tech tips section. Had both valve cover gaskets changed twice by bike shop mechanics so assume they did it ok , Just wonder why this happens is it a excess pressure or poor design issue. Yesterday had another f-ck this moment , got the urgent service message and bike revs to 7000 max. No error message in dash diagnostic. Another look into tech tips. Ordered diagnostic leads+adaptor ( thanks plocky ) Thanks AF1 for an intelligent site apart from the looneys in Off Topic section

catch ewe later bob

Thanks for the mention.

The diagnostics cables will help you understand what the issue is, sounds like it may have gone into limp mode.
    Without the codes, impossible to guess why, if you're in a hurry take to a dealer/mechanic with PADS.

BTW: when you hook up the cables & read the stored error codes for the first time with IAW/GuzziDiag you will get some old codes that have not been cleared recently & may not relate to your current issue, so record them, then clear them using IAW/GuzziDiag, then start the bike briefly (unless the last thing you heard was a loud clunking noise ) & check for new errors.

As for oil leaks from valve covers, there was an RSV4 replacement valve cover that fixed this on the early models.Updated valve cover gaskets and valve cover part #s to fix leaky valve covers

Hey!! be careful I'm one of those looneys in the Off Topic section. lol.
    2015(16) RSV4 RR Ascari Black 201HP

apriliaforum expert Proctologist's Avatar
    Ask and you shall receive: http://www.apriliaforum.com/forums/s...y-valve-covers

Happy New Year !

Today:
    Ducati 1199 Panigale Rosso | Aprilia RSV4-R APRC ABS | Aprilia RSV 1000R (under construction)

Yesterday:
    Ducati 1098 | Suzuki GSX-R1000 | Suzuki GSX-R1100 | Kawasaki Ninja ZX600R | Suzuki TS185

Thanks gentlemen I will see what mysteries the IAW/GuzziDiag revivals when the cables arrive.
    (unless the last thing you heard was a loud clunking noise ) Bike still starts ok
    the only clunk is my head hitting a wall a few times from the joys of a sick motorcycle

catch ewe later bob

Started the bike a week later no urgent message , bike runs revs as normal all appears ok. diagnostic leads+adaptors arrived and worked with the guzziDiag to show faults
    U1701 no signal
    P0609 no signal
    U1601 invalid signal
    P0155 invalid signal
    I cleared faults and will recheck after a few short rides. Are any of these faults life threating to me or the bike.
    Ordered tappet covers and gaskets as recommended for AF1 , will comment when installed

catch ewe later bob

apriliaforum Junkie Darth Vader's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by bobrsv4r View Post
    Started the bike a week later no urgent message , bike runs revs as normal all appears ok. diagnostic leads+adaptors arrived and worked with the guzziDiag to show faults
    U1701 no signal
    P0609 no signal
    U1601 invalid signal
    P0155 invalid signal
    I cleared faults and will recheck after a few short rides. Are any of these faults life threating to me or the bike.
    Ordered tappet covers and gaskets as recommended for AF1 , will comment when installed
    I do not want to spooke you...
    but check this... it might be a glitch or something as well..

CAN line towards instrument panel U1701
    no signal.
    Error cause
    No signal is received from the instrument panel.
    Troubleshooting
    Check the connector of the instrument panel: if not OK, restore; if OK, check the continuity
    of the two lines from the instrument panel connector to the VEHICLE connector of the Marelli
    control unit: if not OK, restore the cable harness; if OK, replace the instrument panel

Safety Engine Stop P0609
    Error cause
    Since the safety system has detected a serious fault, the control unit has shut off the engine
    Troubleshooting
    Continue fault search for the other errors detected

CAN line "Mute Node" U1601
    Mute Node.
    Error cause
    The injection ECU cannot send CAN signals; it receives signals from the instrument panel:
    the control unit may need replacing.
    Troubleshooting
    Replace the Marelli control unit.

White upper connector throttle grip position (tracks C-D) P0155
    incongruent signal
    Error cause
    Two illogical voltage signals have been detected at PIN 23 and 11 of the ENGINE connector
    (tracks A-B)
    Troubleshooting
    Check the parameters of the white upper connector Throttle Grip Position Sensor - tracks
    C and D: if one of the two values clearly deviates from 600-1400 mV, it means that this
    potentiometer is defective. Check the throttle grip sensor connector and the control unit
    connector: if not OK, restore. If OK, check that cable resistance between the throttle grip
    sensor connector and the control unit is a few tenths of Ohm: if this is not the case, restore
    wiring. If the value is correct, replace the complete throttle grip sensor

U1701 no signal
    P0609 no signal
    U1601 invalid signal
    P0155 invalid signal
    I'll help you understand the faults from my limited knowledge, for future fault diagnosis download a service manual from AF1 so you can search the codes for your own diagnostics in real time. http://www.af1racing.com/store/Scrip...+Manual+RSV4-R

U1701 no signal > poor connection or possibly caused as a result of the following 2.
    P0609 no signal > The engine shut down for safety, probably due to P0155 fault.
    U1601 invalid signal > the ECU & dash failed to communicate possibly caused by a combination of these faults going on.
    P0155 invalid signal = the most likely cause of the whole scenario is this one, demand sensor failure, it may need replacing however I read somewhere recently someone pulled theirs apart & cleaned up all the contacts & now no issues.

thanks Darth, I was just about to post the errors. I agree with it's possibly just a glitch, but would look into the demand sensor issue to be sure, otherwise he could get stranded somewhere.

apriliaforum Junkie Darth Vader's Avatar
    it could be contaminated connector on demand sensor... had that scenario few times...after pressure washer...
    and I did change two ecu under the warranty because same mute node error continuously coming back...

Thanks for the quick replies My vote is a glitch failing that a box of matches time will tell

catch ewe later bob

Thanks for the quick replies My vote is a glitch failing that a box of matches time will tell
    ROFL, don't get so emotional now, after all you purchased this Italian beast/mistress.

The demand sensor was a common issue on the older bikes & yet to be proved otherwise for long term on the newer ones.
    I'd suggest take it for a short ride & see what happens or pull the demand sensor apart & clean then ride.

Reset errors then went 20 km P0155 reappeared , pulled demand sensor connectors off for a look see and reconnected. Did short rides slow to flogging the thing 160km no errors so think by disconnect and reconnect the terminal contact has been cleaned as you suggested plocky. Thanks I will dedicate half a doz beers to you and drink'em in your absence

catch ewe later bob

Reset errors then went 20 km P0155 reappeared , pulled demand sensor connectors off for a look see and reconnected. Did short rides slow to flogging the thing 160km no errors so think by disconnect and reconnect the terminal contact has been cleaned as you suggested plocky. Thanks I will dedicate half a doz beers to you and drink'em in your absence
    lol. Cheers mate; I brew my own anyway, cheep as, so I'll have a couple tonight to celebrate with you.

Up date my oil leak was not the tappet cover , mechanic changed sealing on cam cover holder I think ( I'm no mechanic ) bike has been oil clean since. Did a ride day at the bend SA without leaks actually the best the bike has run on track. Last night did a short ride and got a urgent service light with fault PO 151 too low and limp mode to get home. Did a clear faults . On restart have the same fault. Has anyone had similar

catch ewe later bob

Up date my oil leak was not the tappet cover , mechanic changed sealing on cam cover holder I think ( I'm no mechanic ) bike has been oil clean since. Did a ride day at the bend SA without leaks actually the best the bike has run on track. Last night did a short ride and got a urgent service light with fault PO 151 too low and limp mode to get home. Did a clear faults . On restart have the same fault. Has anyone had similar
    Well, looks like you still have the demand sensor issue,

this is what the manual says,

Blue lower connector throttle grip position sensor - track B P0151
    • short circuit to positive/ open circuit, short circuit to negative
    Error cause
    • If shorted to positive: excessive voltage has been detected at PIN 13 of the VEHICLE connector. If the circuit is open, shorted to negative: voltage equal to zero has been detected at PIN 13 of the VEHICLE connector
    Troubleshooting
    • short circuit to positive: check the value shown by the parameter of the BLUE lower connector Throttle Grip position Sensor track B: disconnect the connector and read the value indicated by the diagnosis instrument: if the voltage does not vary, there is a short circuit in the cable wiring; replace the throttle grip sensor if the voltage drops to zero. • if the circuit is open, shorted to negative: check the throttle grip sensor connector and the Marelli control unit connector. If not OK, restore. If OK, check circuit continuity between the two cable terminals. If not OK, restore; if OK, check the cable ground insulation (from the throttle grip sensor connector or the control unit connector): if the cable is not ground insulated, restore the wiring. If it is ground insulated, and with the switch key set to ON, check that there is power supply for the potentiometer PIN D and that PIN F is connected to ground. If both are correct, replace the throttle grip sensor; if not, check the continuity of the cable that is not functioning properly: if there is continuity, replace the control unit; if not, restore the wiring