Page 1 of 14 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: 16-17 Aprilia RSV4 and 17 Tuono Motorcycles Brembo Recall

16-17 Aprilia RSV4 and 17 Tuono Motorcycles Brembo Recall

The following motorcycle recall report is filed with the NHTSA:
    Report Receipt Date: December 15, 2017
    NHTSA Campaign Number: 17V811000
    Component(s): Brake System
    Potential Number of Units Affected: 1,856
    Manufacturer: Piaggio Group Americas. Inc.

THE RECALL: Piaggio Group Americas. Inc. (Piaggio) is recalling certain 2016-2017 Aprilia RSV4 1000 motorcycles (including RR, Factory Superpole, and RF Superpole), and 2017 Aprilia Tuono V4 1100 motorcycles (including RR and Factory Superpole). These motorcycles are equipped with Brembo front brake master cylinders that may fail. As such, these vehicles fail to comply with the requirements of Federal Motor Vehicle Safety Standard (FMVSS) number 122, "Motorcycle Brake Systems."
    WHAT COULD HAPPEN: If the front brake master cylinder fails, the loss of front braking ability can increase the risk of a crash.
    THE FIX: Aprilia will notify owners, and dealers will replace the front brake master cylinder piston, free of charge. The recall is expected to begin January 15, 2018. Owners may contact Aprilia customer service at 1-212-380-4433.
    MORE RECALL INFORMATION: Owners may also contact the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration Vehicle Safety Hotline at 1-888-327-4236 (TTY 1-800-424-9153), or go to safercar.gov.

https://www.motorcyclistonline.com/aprilia-rsv4-and-tuono-motorcycles-recalled-for-brakes-that-may-fail

Check if your bike is affected here
    : http://static.piaggio.com/recall/form-aprilia_en.html
    Last edited by GixxerMKD; 12-30-2017 at 01:46 PM. Reason: adding the link for VIN check

apriliaforum newb
    Looks like it it is bigger than Aprilia. The issue stems from the Brembo’s popular PR16 radial master cylinder unit

https://www.asphaltandrubber.com/rec...-brake-recall/

Because of the physical properties of the piston material used on the master cylinder, and the porosity generated during the injection process used to create them, the piston could crack when used on race tracks, or with frequent ABS intervention, or when the motorcycle falls to the ground.”

99% of you have no reason for concern of catastrophic brake failure leading to imminent death or injury. Seems like unless you’re racing, riding on snow w/ ABS all the way up, or can’t keep your bike upright, you’re perfectly fine until you’re able to have the recall performed. Triathlete, does suck for you though if you’ve got a race in less than a month; could be worth a call to Aprilia directly to help expedite the service. Otherwise most of you are making much of realistically not a big deal; recalls happen.

Found the following bit of info interesting. note the date!

Chronology : In May, 2017, Ducati received initial information from the field regarding front brake malfunction involving a motorcycle in the European market. During the same month Ducati received a second European front brake malfunction report. Ducati initiated an investigation and began to jointly conduct an analysis with Brembo, the component manufacturer. In September, 2017, a third European case was discovered. Failure was found to have occurred during race track use in two of the three cases. In November, 2017, the investigation was finalized and the root cause was identified as above. (Please refer to “Describe the cause”). On December 14th, 2017, Ducati determined that a worldwide safety Recall was justified.
    https://static.nhtsa.gov/odi/rcl/201...7V812-1587.PDF

The recall for Ducati involves ~8000 Units. https://www.motorcyclistonline.com/8...-that-may-fail
    2015(16) RSV4 RR Ascari Black 201HP

Max Lean Angle / Administrator Ed / AF1 Racing's Avatar
    got confirmation from Aprilia USA

"no VINS are loaded yet. The recall should begin in a couple of weeks."

waiting on parts, and some paperwork from NHTSA.

I will post back once we have an official dealer letter and procedure.

just another Aprilia fanatic amauri's Avatar
    Stock m/c size for RSV4 is:

16mm bore x 19mm pivot for ABS bikes with M430/M50 calipers
    18mm bore x 19mm pivot for non-ABS bikes with M4 calipers
    Never accept mediocrity, always demand competence.

Certified Aprilia Moto Service in Southern California
    Call me at 714 892-4056 for appointment

just got a pre-lim bulletin.

VINS will not be loaded until after Jan 15th. Looks like all 16/17 V4s with the radial pump (16 Tuonos excluded) will be recalled by Brembo

Dealers will be doing a full replacement of the internal piston, a part #, and procedure has been laid out

Owner Notification: Each owner of a vehicle included in this recall will be notified by first class mail. In this letter Aprilia USA will describe the details of the concern, the cause, and the correction addressed by this recall. In addition, Aprilia USA asks that each owner contact their respective Aprilia dealer to arrange for an appointment to have the parts and labor required of this recall completed. Please make every effort to accommodate your recall customers within your existing service schedule. Please note that until the internal float element has been replaced, the vehicle must be ridden judiciously, taking into account the possible loss in braking capacity, moderating speed and maintaining longer safety distances. Customers must not use the vehicle on the track until the replacement has been completed.

and I'm cleaning up this thread to prevent confusion and mass hysteria

apriliaforum expert
    Quote Originally Posted by Ed / AF1 Racing View Post

VINS will not be loaded until after Jan 15th. Looks like all 16/17 V4s with the radial pump (16 Tuonos excluded) will be recalled by Brembo

Dealers will be doing a full replacement of the internal piston, a part #, and procedure has been laid out

Owner Notification: Each owner of a vehicle included in this recall will be notified by first class mail. In this letter Aprilia USA will describe the details of the concern, the cause, and the correction addressed by this recall. In addition, Aprilia USA asks that each owner contact their respective Aprilia dealer to arrange for an appointment to have the parts and labor required of this recall completed. Please make every effort to accommodate your recall customers within your existing service schedule. Please note that until the internal float element has been replaced, the vehicle must be ridden judiciously, taking into account the possible loss in braking capacity, moderating speed and maintaining longer safety distances. Customers must not use the vehicle on the track until the replacement has been completed.
    Solid. Thanks guys.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

apriliaforum expert
    What will the priority be if any?
    Bikes on the showroom floor, then bikes under warranty, then others. Or is it strictly as soon as owners schedule it?
    Do we have to wait on the notification letter to schedule?

bikes in the field first, then showroom bikes.

Cant schedule anything until we have parts. Will post up on parts ETA once we know

apriliaforum expert
    Thank you Sir.

apriliaforum Junkie

Just for clarification, basically ANY/ALL 2017 RSV4's will be affected? I presume ALL of the 2017's have the radial pump?

I have yet to take delivery of my 2017 RSV4 RF as I was waiting for my exhaust to come in from Italy. Figure I'll be waiting for them to fix the master cylinder now?

Should I contact me dealer and inquire about this?

Really appreciate you posting the info and keeping us updated.

Thanks.

cant say for certain, but its looking like ALL 2016-2017 RSV4 are effected worldwide. The # reported to USA NHSTA suggests that is every RSV4 in the USA.

Your dealer prob wont know more than I've posted at this stage. Prob less.

I know we cannot legally sell any new bike that is under federal recall until the recall work is complete. He shouldn't let it roll until its fixed.

apriliaforum Junkie
    cant say for certain, but its looking like ALL 2016-2017 RSV4 are effected worldwide. The # reported to USA NHSTA suggests that is every RSV4 in the USA.

Your dealer prob wont know more than I've posted at this stage. Prob less.

I know we cannot legally sell any new bike that is under federal recall until the recall work is complete. He shouldn't let it roll until its fixed.
    10-4.

Just spoke with my dealer and he said he hadn't seen anything "officially" but it may take a couple of weeks just as you had stated. Then I guess it's just a matter of how long it takes Brembo to get the replacement parts in the system.

As for selling the bike, I bought it before this recall. I am just waiting for the exhaust to get in from Italy before picking it up. I ordered the exhaust from you guys BTW.

Fortunately, I can't ride due to weather. Hopefully they'l have it all sorted by spring! LOL

Thanks.

Page 1 of 14 12311 ... LastLast