Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: My Shiver 900

Quote Originally Posted by Albion View Post
    Ha ha! Good question. Yes, I have noticed the side cases do get warm and also dirty from the exhausts. It's no big deal though. I am pleased with the fuel consumption on a long ride at 120 kmh, although the bike used quite a bit of oil on such a ride.
    Hmmm. My Shiver 750s have not used significant oil. Indeed I never top up between 5000km changes. How many miles has your bike got on the odo?
    Frodo
    2015 Shiver
    New Zealand

apriliaforum prov-nov
    Quote Originally Posted by Frodo View Post
    Hmmm. My Shiver 750s have not used significant oil. Indeed I never top up between 5000km changes. How many miles has your bike got on the odo?
    I put in nearly a litre over the course of the 3000km trip, having not put any in during the previous nine months and 4000km.
    Maybe it was due to the high ambient temperatures (above 30c most of the trip). I've done similar trips several times on other bikes without having to top up the oil.

Frodo, from what I recall of New Zealand's roads, you can't ride at 120km/h for several hours at a stretch, as I was doing, so I guess your bike wouldn't be running at such high engine temperature for such an extended time.
    2017 Aprilia Shiver 900

apriliaforum expert
    When was the oil changed and what grade has been put in? Are you sure there's not a leak somewhere, or it's not escaping via a drain or breather or something? If it's getting past the rings or into the airbox, you might be able to smell it at times. The main crank case breather is on the right side of the bike, just between the cylinders - it feeds into a small separate chamber in the airbox and then through a tube into the top, filtered section of the airbox, dumping just above the front cylinder's intake runner. Popping the hose off the cases to see if it's full of oil is easy enough, then checking the front plug for excessive oiling is also relatively simple.

If it is engine speed dependent, it might be something wrong with the piston rings (e.g. flutter), either isolated due to a manufacturing / assembly fault, or as engineered.

It could just as easily be the breather getting overwhelmed by the gas dynamics in the cases at specific speeds, also. I believe the 900s now have a check valve in the top of the cases, whereas the 750s did not - these are used to reduce the crankcase pressure for power / economy. Ducatis (e.g. desmoquattros) were known for issues with check valves being too close to the cases and, for "spirited" riding, usually benefited from a remote item on the other side of a large "catch tank" or accumulator / reservoir. This reduces the valve's exposure to entrained oil in the breather flow, which could soak the valve and reduce its effectiveness, but also ultimately cause even more oil to be blown through the breather as it pools around the valve and forces the gas to flow faster at that point.
    Last edited by IndelibleInk; 08-05-2018 at 05:03 AM.
    2009 Shiver (White) | UK

Yeah... that oil consumption seems odd. I've done quite a few, 300+ mile days, at 75+ mph for hours at a time, and haven't lost a drop of oil between changes, each at 3000 mile intervals. And a lot of these miles have been at ambient air temps of 100F and higher.
    2016 Honda CBR 1000rr SP Repsol

2014 Dorsoduro 750 ABS - sold

apriliaforum prov-nov
    Thanks for the input about the oil, folks. I'll keep an eye on it and will also mention it to my dealer next time I'm there, to see what they think.
    2017 Aprilia Shiver 900

apriliaforum Member
    Quote Originally Posted by comics00 View Post
    Greetings from Singapore!
    Just got my Shiver 900 2 weeks ago, 23 Jan'18, & have only 180km on it. M looking & modifying it in 3 phases:
    1) protective gears - frame slider & axle sliders
    2) touring setup - handphone holder, usb output, windshield, handguard, handlebar end weight, tank bag & saddlebags
    3) Exhuast, 75C thermostat

Attachment 350721
    That... is a beautiful bike. Wish there were more in my area.

apriliaforum expert kingvolcano's Avatar
    That green is fantastic! Gratz on the new bike!

apriliaforum prov-nov
    This is an update about my hard luggage, which some people may find useful. After using the Hepco & Becker Orbit side cases on a long trip, I noticed that the exhaust gases, which exit sideways on the Shiver 900, were causing the cases and their contents to get hot. I recently replaced the stock silencer with some GPR ones, which vent gas backward, in the normal way. This solved the heat issue. However, there is now another issue, which I hadn't anticipated. The bracket that the pannier frame attaches to at the rear of the bike was, in fact, attached to the stock silencer. There is no such fixing point on the GPR silencers (or on other brands, probably), which means the pannier frame is now only attached by one bolt at the rear and has more movement than before. This is a concern, as it seems likely it will wear or work loose over time.

I noticed that it was announced at the Cologne Intermot event a couple of weeks ago that next year's Shiver will have exhausts that vent downwards instead of sideways. It's a pity that Aprilia didn't think of this issue originally.

On another point, I've recently done another long trip and didn't have the same need to top up the engine oil which I had during my July trip mentioned above, so I guess that was related to the high ambient temperatures of over 30 degrees on a six hour ride at sustained speed.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0650.jpg 
Views:	49 
Size:	497.1 KB 
ID:	369019

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0649.jpg 
Views:	44 
Size:	494.8 KB 
ID:	369020
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0648.jpg 
Views:	42 
Size:	495.7 KB 
ID:	369021  

2017 Aprilia Shiver 900

apriliaforum expert
    Nice info. I saw that about the exhausts being revised, too - definite oversight.

You may want to invest in an undertray of some sort (there should be a template on the 750 forum somewhere), and at the same time you may be able to convince a fabricator to make a bracket for the cases for you. Look into how the Akra cans are attached, using longer bolts that go through the grab handles into a custom bracket (for the cans to hang from) that sandwiches a sheet metal guard on standoffs from the subframe - the bracket also picks up the steel tail section (that your rack is attached to) for better rigidity.

If you can find a point to bolt it to, it seems like it should be easy to make up a bracket out of stainless sheet, or even carbon fibre if you have the materials already.
    2009 Shiver (White) | UK

apriliaforum prov-nov
    Thanks for the input. I would like to get an undertray, although I didn't buy the Akras, as it looked as though their undertray bracket and that for the Hepco & Becker cases wouldn't both be able to mount at the same point. I may get a rear hugger, at least, although they never seem to be big enough to be fully effective. At the moment I'm just supporting the rear pannier bracket with a couple of cable ties.

Quote Originally Posted by IndelibleInk View Post
    Nice info. I saw that about the exhausts being revised, too - definite oversight.

You may want to invest in an undertray of some sort (there should be a template on the 750 forum somewhere), and at the same time you may be able to convince a fabricator to make a bracket for the cases for you. Look into how the Akra cans are attached, using longer bolts that go through the grab handles into a custom bracket (for the cans to hang from) that sandwiches a sheet metal guard on standoffs from the subframe - the bracket also picks up the steel tail section (that your rack is attached to) for better rigidity.

If you can find a point to bolt it to, it seems like it should be easy to make up a bracket out of stainless sheet, or even carbon fibre if you have the materials already.
    2017 Aprilia Shiver 900

apriliaforum expert dadsafrantic's Avatar
    the oil consumption may be due to the engine not being broken in. it seemed like this was an issue for some of the 1200 bikes. ktm expects their big bikes to drink a liter between changes.
    Dadsafrantic

2015 Red Caponord #64
    2008 Mana Grey #81, hyperpro springs and shock, gpr furuore, rigid lights, bark busters, kaoko throttle lock, puig touring screen

taranaki new zealand beneath mount taranaki
    Quote Originally Posted by dadsafrantic View Post
    the oil consumption may be due to the engine not being broken in. it seemed like this was an issue for some of the 1200 bikes. ktm expects their big bikes to drink a liter between changes.
    KTM oil changes on the 1290 are 15000kms, i change mine every 7500, I've had 2 1290s, neither has used anything more than 250mls over 7500 kms. I have a 2016 MV Rivale 800, and being a big twin fan i was thinking of trading it on a 900 Shiver/Dorsadora, the MV being only 165kgs with out fuel, and comparing it to a plus 200kg Shiver, i was wondering how well these bikes hide their weight when riding the twisties, i noticed compared to the MV just wheeling the Shiver around they feel heavy for only 900cc bike.
    "Be yourself, because everybody else is taken "..............................In the shed...... Multistrada 1200, Termi full system with matching ECU, and ohlins SCU. KTM 1290 GT. Torque monster. Remus link and muffler, KTM 790 fun machine.

apriliaforum prov-nov
    Quote Originally Posted by DaveNZ View Post
    KTM oil changes on the 1290 are 15000kms, i change mine every 7500, I've had 2 1290s, neither has used anything more than 250mls over 7500 kms. I have a 2016 MV Rivale 800, and being a big twin fan i was thinking of trading it on a 900 Shiver/Dorsadora, the MV being only 165kgs with out fuel, and comparing it to a plus 200kg Shiver, i was wondering how well these bikes hide their weight when riding the twisties, i noticed compared to the MV just wheeling the Shiver around they feel heavy for only 900cc bike.
    My previous two bikes were lighter and easier-handling. In my opinion, the Shiver would handle better if the rear wheel was less wide. Other than that, I think it should be fine if you invest the time in finding the best tyres and suspension set up for you.
    2017 Aprilia Shiver 900

taranaki new zealand beneath mount taranaki
    Quote Originally Posted by Albion View Post
    My previous two bikes were lighter and easier-handling. In my opinion, the Shiver would handle better if the rear wheel was less wide. Other than that, I think it should be fine if you invest the time in finding the best tyres and suspension set up for you.
    Cheers for your reply, Ive got 2 sets of Power Pilots, one on the MV and a spare set, as they have been on special at nearly half price. I tried my mates Ducati 939 SP Hypamotard, and its in-between the Shiver and MV for weight, while you do feel it, it still is very nimble to ride, not MV like, just needs a more dedicated line. While i love the MV for its nimble agility, and that 800 engine roars, i just prefer a twin, so I'm looking at the Shiver/Dorsadora or a Duc Hypa, well they are on my radar. Ive got a few trackways coming up for the MV then i might think seriously about wether id like to change it.
    "Be yourself, because everybody else is taken "..............................In the shed...... Multistrada 1200, Termi full system with matching ECU, and ohlins SCU. KTM 1290 GT. Torque monster. Remus link and muffler, KTM 790 fun machine.

apriliaforum prov-nov
    I also prefer twins. I recently had a test ride on a Yamaha Tracer 900GT and although it ticked a lot of boxes, I just didn't like the sound of the triple and wouldn't want to listen to it all day. Having said that, I didn't have the same annoyance when test-riding a Triumph Street Triple. I think the Shiver sounds great.
    2017 Aprilia Shiver 900

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast