Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: My Shiver 900

apriliaforum newb

My Shiver 900

Season's greetings from southern France. Managed to get a ride in on Christmas Day just after lunch, as it was sunny and mild. Practically had the roads to myself.

The rear doesn't seem to want to go round slow corners, such as roundabouts, and feels like it wanders a bit. I've had bikes with 180 section rear tyres for about the last ten years, so I'm wondering if it's because the Shiver has a wider rim than those bikes - 6.0 as opposed to 5.5. Maybe I'll try a 190 tyre next time. I'd rather have a narrower rim for a 180 tyre, but I don't think Aprilia make one. Anyone got any thoughts in this?

I now have about 1100 miles on the 900. Have so far added a Puig screen, a centre stand, Barkbusters Blizzard hand guards, which I previously had on another bike, and a lithium ion battery, which saves about 3kg. I would like to reduce the weight of the bike a bit further. Akrapovic have their replacement silencers on the market with a 6kg weight reduction versus stock pipes, but I'm a bit concerned about whether they would mess up the fuelling, which is good overall. On retailers' websites the product info says Akrapovic recommends use of a fuel management unit. I also don't want it any louder. Hopefully, someone on the forum will share their experiences if they fit the Akrapovic to their 900.
    2017 Aprilia Shiver 900

A 190/55 works much better on the 6" rim. Just wear out the stock tire and switch up a size when you replace it. All of the 750 exhausts will fit the 900. They're all lighter than stock and all sound pretty good. Get a set with baffles/db-killers, and keep them installed, if you're concerned with too much noise. No real need for re-mapping.
    2014 DD 750 ABS - Spark exhaust, Arrow decat, headers (all ceramic coated), BMC filter, BikeMaster DLFP16-BS LiFePO battery, NGK iridium plugs, GPR steering damper, DD 1200 fully adjustable rear shock w/spring swap, 2016 Tuono Factory wheels, 15/44 520 conversion (PBR/Superlite/DID), Strada-7 fork preload adjusters, Samco 2-piece hose kit w/clamps, Engine Ice, Renazco Racing seat, EvoTech tidy tail, Aprilia grab handles, shorty levers, crank-case breather mod, evap-can delete... and a Rapid Bike EVO.

Greetings from Singapore!
    Just got my Shiver 900 2 weeks ago, 23 Jan'18, & have only 180km on it. M looking & modifying it in 3 phases:
    1) protective gears - frame slider & axle sliders
    2) touring setup - handphone holder, usb output, windshield, handguard, handlebar end weight, tank bag & saddlebags
    3) Exhuast, 75C thermostat

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG-20180123-WA0006.jpg 
Views:	77 
Size:	238.3 KB 
ID:	350721
    Last edited by comics00; 05-19-2018 at 01:39 AM.

apriliaforum newb
    Quote Originally Posted by comics00 View Post
    Greetings from Singapore!
    Just got my Shiver 900 2 weeks ago, 23 Jan'18, & have only 180km on it. M looking @modifying it in 3 phases
    1) protective gears - frame slider, axle sliders & radiator guard.
    2) touring comfort - windshield, handguard, handphone holder, usb outlet, handlebar end weight, tank bag & saddlebags.
    3) Exhaust & 75C thermostat

Congratulations. You're the first person I've seen with the green version.

I have the small Puig screen, but it's not much use for touring. Can't seem to find a bigger one here.
    2017 Aprilia Shiver 900

apriliaforum newb
    Now have my Hepco & Becker Orbit side cases fitted. 22 litres each, apparently, although the handle makes for an inconvenient shape inside. Fitting was OK, but the instructions could do with a proper parts list and some pictures that show more.

As far as I'm aware, these are the only hard cases currently available for the Shiver 900. The C-Bow frames look OK when the cases aren't on the bike.

Name:	IMG_0603.jpg 
Views:	47 
Size:	521.9 KB 
ID:	355865Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0604.jpg 
Views:	41 
Size:	513.7 KB 
ID:	355866
    2017 Aprilia Shiver 900

Can you provide a photo from the rear to show how wide they stick out?
    I'm thinking about fitting Givi E22 panniers to replace the OEM panniers. Will use the OEM mount.
    Frodo
    2015 Shiver
    New Zealand

apriliaforum newb
    Quote Originally Posted by Frodo View Post
    Can you provide a photo from the rear to show how wide they stick out?
    I'm thinking about fitting Givi E22 panniers to replace the OEM panniers. Will use the OEM mount.
    Here's a photo. Being quite a close up shot makes the cases look wide. They are wider than the mirrors. I think the Givi E22 paniers would be a good choice, but I don't think Givi do a specific frame for the Shiver, plus their frames look a bit ugly without the paniers fitted.

Name:	IMG_0605.jpg 
Views:	42 
Size:	509.3 KB 
ID:	356010
    2017 Aprilia Shiver 900

Hmm, they are wide for 22 litres. The E22s are narrower and lower, so shift the centre of gravity lower.
    I agree about Givi frames being ugly. I had them on my Aprilia Pegaso Trail and too them off when not using them - a 5 or 10 minute job. I liked the efficiency of the top-loading E21 panniers, but the E22s look a lot better.
    I have the OEM pannier frame on my Shiver which looks good and integrated with the bike's lines (and it protected the bike when I slid down the road!). I will take the brackets off the OEM panniers and attach them to the Givi boxes.
    Frodo
    2015 Shiver
    New Zealand

Accidentally deleted my post Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG-20180123-WA0006.jpg 
Views:	33 
Size:	238.3 KB 
ID:	358218

apriliaforum newb
    nice bikes I like the new shiver but at 500lbs they seem too heavy

apriliaforum newb
    I see you got the red rims. Did you replace the original ones explicitly or did the bike come like this?

I would like to have them too and I am considering to order them.

apriliaforum newb
    Quote Originally Posted by tom83 View Post
    I see you got the red rims. Did you replace the original ones explicitly or did the bike come like this?

Yes, I ordered the red rims recently and sold the original black ones to another forum user here. My local dealer thinks next year's model will come with red rims as standard (as it should have from the start in my opinion).
    2017 Aprilia Shiver 900

apriliaforum newb
    Quote Originally Posted by tom83 View Post

Red rims were an optional extra......ran out of cash after adding OEM Crash Bungs, OEM rear bobbins, OEM fly screen, MMI + Bluetooth with APP and the USB output (added the SP Connect phone holder - expensive but well worth it)

Akrapovic end cans on the way......should have them on the bike by the end of the month.

BTW - have some questions on the Bluetooth interface and Phone / music controls in conjunction with iPhone 6 and Sena SMH10B - will investigate bike manual first.....stupid LH toggle goes to phone mode when I start the bike but bike LCD screen tells me that I am not permitted to answer call or pause, FW/RW track for some reason....will start new post if I canít figure it out.

Coz

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    2007 SV650s
    2018 Shiver 900

apriliaforum newb
    Hey,

How does the exhaust being angled to the side deal with your bags? Do they end up extremely warm or dirty after a long ride?

apriliaforum newb
    Ha ha! Good question. Yes, I have noticed the side cases do get warm and also dirty from the exhausts. It's no big deal though. I am pleased with the fuel consumption on a long ride at 120 kmh, although the bike used quite a bit of oil on such a ride.
    Quote Originally Posted by Badtser View Post
    Hey,

How does the exhaust being angled to the side deal with your bags? Do they end up extremely warm or dirty after a long ride?
    2017 Aprilia Shiver 900

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast