Thread: Kent Cams

apriliaforum Member
    20 Harwood Place Kingsworthy winchester Hants SO237PS

Kent Cams

Hi, is anyone running Kent cams? Do you have to run them with their cam followers?
    https://www.motorcycle-exhausts.co.u...ct--15661.html
    As you can see they are not cheap. The cams may come with them, they are secondhand with little use, but if I have to buy the cam followers it's going to expensive.
    All advice welcomed and appreciated, thanks.

Sent from my E5823 using Tapatalk

I run the APR003 with stock followers, no issues.

/J

apriliaforum Member
    Many thanks VR8, it's funny I was going to pm you if I didn't get any replies. That's really nice to know, is there anyway I can tell which cams they are? do they have APR03 written on them?
    Because they do make two others 02 and 01.
    I will ask him before buying.
    Do you run 110/110 valve timing, will I have any piston to valve clearance problems running CP 1103 pistons?

Quote Originally Posted by vergil View Post
    Many thanks VR8, it's funny I was going to pm you if I didn't get any replies. That's really nice to know, is there anyway I can tell which cams they are? do they have APR03 written on them?
    Because they do make two others 02 and 01.
    I will ask him before buying.
    Do you run 110/110 valve timing, will I have any piston to valve clearance problems running CP 1103 pistons?

Actually I dont remember if the are labelled but you can always ask the seller to measure the lift of the lobe, that way you can figure out what model they are.

I have run so many different setups and now I think I have 108/112 but the engine will be looked over this winter if I get the time from other projects. The heads needs some change in the intake because the port is not good from my tests. I only use the 1127 SpoonValley Racing BigBore kit so I dont know how the 1103 work ;-)

/J

apriliaforum Member
    Thanks J, I feel a lot happier with that information, I can make proper decision and with that knowledge I can find out what I am buying.
    Cheers, Rich.

Hi vergil, I bought some stage3 inlets a while back for my bb build. They aren't marked.(edit; sorry, yes they are marked on the lobe) The stage1 grind is mellow grind of our RSVR cams. The stage 2 grind is pretty close to the RSVR cams, so if you put them next to each other the lobes will look pretty much the same. The stage 3 cams have more duration and valve lift and next to RSVR cams the difference is obvious.
    The cam specs:

Standard RSVR cams
    Duration 266° inlet 257°exhaust
    Valve lift 11.8mm 10.6mm

Kent APR03
    Duration 282° inlet 272°exhaust
    Valve lift 11.8mm 11.2mm

Because of the extra lift you will have to ensure valve to piston clearance, if I recall I have read that with cam timing set at close to stock your minimums are 1.75mm on the inlet valve and 2.25mm on the exhaust valves to avoid a collison especially in an over run event.(dont take that as gospel-do your own research its all in the bb threads).
    With the use of the valve buckets, I was wondering why they recommend using theirs on pre 2005 bikes. I checked out some part numbers and there is only 1 part number for OEM valve buckets since the 990 Rotax began. The cylinder head part# changed between 05 and 06, but I can only think of 31mm to 33mm exhaust valves being the reason. Contact Kent and get some clarification.

On a side note I am about to purchase some Can Am DS450 inlet cams to find out if they are billett like the Kents, which will make them a perfect candidate for a cheap regrind.
    Just added some photos. Kent inlet on the left next to OEM RSVR/Tuono inlet and exhaust cams.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20180111_063536.jpg 
Views:	11 
Size:	513.5 KB 
ID:	349350

Name:	20180111_063624.jpg 
Views:	7 
Size:	538.4 KB 
ID:	349351
    Last edited by jess67; 01-10-2018 at 08:39 PM. Reason: add photos

apriliaforum Member
    Hi jess67, thanks for information and specs for the cams, I am wondering if they are really worth buying and installing, as I have 4 one piece inlet forged cams, will that longer duration on Kent cams really make that much difference?
    That's interesting about the those cams you're thinking of buying, billet would be the way to go as it probably is the strongest.
    Let me know about them cams.
    Richard.

I was going to run dual inlets but while I was waiting for other parts for the build I decided to get some Kent inlets. The Can Am compatibilty thread in the 1000cc faq area got me interested in checking Can Am part numbers against Aprilia part numbers.
    The 990 vtwin was used until 2012 and the ds450 single is basically one cylinder of our vtwin and was used until 2014.
    I have a 2nd hand ds450 inlet cam coming in the post and as soon as my engine builder is back I will find out if its ok for welding and regrinding. If they are, I'm expect a finished cost about a 1/3 cost of Kents.

apriliaforum Member
    I inquired about the cams and they are APR 02
    The duration is 270 inlet 272 exhaust
    http://www.kentcams.com/product-deta.../APR02-Sports/
    So I really don't know if it worth it as i have four forged one piece cams from the later engines.
    The only advantage I could see is the strength as the Kent are billet.
    I don't think four extra degrees would be noticeable also thr oem inlet have more lift than the Kent exhaust.
    What exhaust are you going to run on your big Bore jess, I was thinking about Arrow headers, the Evo6 are rare and expensive unless you are lucky like my mate who picked one up for £600 in good shape.

If you can get the Apr 02's cheap enough you could have the inlets reground to Apr 03 specs, just an option.
    The exhaust debate is an interesting one, Akra, Arrows, Smaltmoto and Leo Vince. Arrows are the only headers still in production I think. I have run a full Arrows with Titanium cans for the last 3 years, it's a good exhaust and is way better than stock. IIRCC Arrows made the stock pipes but the difference is obvious when both systems are next to each other. If you have the stock pipes off, look inside the collector with a torch - where the 2 pipes join isn't pretty.
    There is some info on the Arrows system on the forum, some good, some saying it's not worth the money and there is a flat spot in the rev range around 5 - 6k rpm, so I had an exhaust guy cut and weld a crossover/equaliser on mine, between the front and rear pipes(bit like the crossover mod the guys are doing on the gen1 bikes).
    If you can get a set of them at the right price they will work with your bb to a point - way better than stock but not like a 60mm system.
    I was lucky a while back to get an EVO6 from the classifieds, not cheap but worth every cent after running both systems back to back on the stock motor. The EVO6 feels like how the bike should have been delivered standard. The end cans are no longer available but the later 2006/7 hex cans with 65mm inlets work with this system.
    Keep your eye on the classifieds/ebay for any of those systems or headers. Smaltmoto G3 is another quality system worth looking out for, his systems make big gains.

Just added some photos of the Arrows header mod, in hindsight I probably would have used a larger diameter for the mod.

Name:	20171101_201734.jpg 
Views:	5 
Size:	512.0 KB 
ID:	349352

Name:	20171101_201747.jpg 
Views:	6 
Size:	504.6 KB 
ID:	349353
    Last edited by jess67; 01-10-2018 at 04:35 PM.

i have some genII one piece intake cams to sell if intrested. 250euro the pair their are new never used.

@jess: yes that kind of modding of the Arrow header is good. Had a good experience on it in reducing the 5000/6000rpm dip in torque simply cutting the central secion in half and making the crossover joint larger and better refined.
    Anyway the evo6 in an other beast compared to the Arrow.
    ECU tuning and reflashes since 2004!
    www.gabroracingteam.it

Visit my FB page and like it!
    https://www.facebook.com/gabroracingteam

found a pic of my evo6 with custom 52mm primary tubes:

www.gabroracingteam.it

Looks like the "gifts to the gods of speed" pile Gabro

no, i've dismantelled that bike after the 2014 race season, to completely overhaul it....

but never had occasion to reassembly. Hopefully i'll do this year, she will race again

www.gabroracingteam.it