Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Thread: F Winter

F Winter

Ya I know, the winters season has just begun on this side but I just want to ride... okay, now I think I hear violins, bring on the cheese and wine. When i was a kid I road all year long, I'm not a kid any more. just sayin. If I can't ride wine is good, beer better!
    I see a small (by our standards here in N.America) motard in the Philippines for 5 weeks in the near future 8)
    F Winter Ya!
    I'd rather be on my bike thinking about god than be in church thinking about my bike 8)

I hear ya. 60f is my minimum. Any colder and my vajajay is not happy. 70 is even better.
    JD

'01 Futura

I shed a tear for you guys ! I've had to go to Gibraltar for the past few weeks because it's been that cold and damp I've struggled to walk let alone ride a bike. in the uk yesterday night parts got down to -13 even in towns -3. I think I'm Lucky as I can escape the cold others have to suffer so please don't conplane

agreed. F winter. i actually don't mind the cold (just started wearing pants last week) but riding has been over since mid nov. in the 20's here, and riding season is a long way off. it's always depressing. i still remember sending my friends here pics of me riding on xmas/new years when i was in socal. having the time of my life. oh well.
    hubris-that's the game with the blocks, right?

/ˌʌɪəˈtɒlə/

We have it the opposite way round, winter is great for riding, summer can be too hot.
    seesecurity.com.au

F Winter

I got a ride in Saturday and went to the beach Sunday. I'm not complaining about the weather here and since I missed all the rain last year I would feel like an ass if I did complain. Its hitting 70 most days here lately. I'll take that.

20 degrees today in the tri state area and yet I still see this dude commuting into NYC on his KTM supermoto. More power to him, but that is not for me! Once under 50 and I'm second guessing riding.

I thought I left winters behind when I moved to CA back in '09. The east coast has a way of pulling you back in just when you think you're out for good...

Long ago when I rode all year, I think I was 20 (Side note; I used to get 5 or so pairs of long johns for xmas every year back then) I bought my first outdoor thermometer.
    It was a beautiful sunny winter's day. If it's sunny here in winter it's cold. I bundled up and off I went, ah glorious to be back on the bike. unbeknown to me I went around a shaded corner that had some water run off coming down from the sunny part above. I hit the ice and slid into 3 cars that had already made it to the train tracks. Now I don't ride say under 6C or approximately 40F, ya I know I'm getting old.
    Funny thing was I was just coming from the bank to secure a loan for a new bike, using my then next to new bike that was now on the train tracks...sold it to a friend.

Feb to March, 125 - 250 supermoto in on the Island of Cebu....F ya!
    I'd rather be on my bike thinking about god than be in church thinking about my bike 8)

apriliaforum expert MamboItaliono's Avatar
    We don't have winter here - and since I've ridden I've always lived here

We have year round riding, and I've only owned motorcycles and not a car for over 10 years

I visited my brother in Las Vegas last November and rode his bike to San Deigo and shipped it to myself on island, and lemme tell you, that brisk 40*F morning ride was NOT ok to me hahahaha. Apparently I've become spoiled. Luckily by 11am it warmed up to 50s or so

apriliaforum expert 2nd Childhood's Avatar
    If the roads are more or less dry, I'll ride, looking out for the usual "gotcha" spots, like overpasses and shaded corners. (Haven't broken down and bought heated gear yet, but ya never know what the future holds) Dunno the coldest weather I've ridden in, but I know it's been at least 25 if not lower. I purposely have my bike thermometer set to display the motor's temp and not the ambient temp. Afraid that might scare me off. Of course, I won't ride my Tuono much during the winter; too much torque and I'm not always too good at throttle modulation. That's what's great about my FZ6. The I-4 is very tame in the lower revs, but can still kick up its heals above 10k.
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    When I was younger I was afraid I'd die riding. Now that I'm old and falling apart, I'm afraid I won't.

Meh.......I'll ride at the track if it's above 50 - 55F. The amount of work I'm doing, coupled with full leathers, under suit, etc makes those temperatures comfortable. I won't ride any real distance on the road unless it's above 70. Even a spirited road ride doesn't result in me working hard enough to not get cold AF within about 20 miles. So, the winter gets dedicated to mountainbiking and cleaning/servicing the V4. And, since NC can stay in the 70s for 9 months out of the year, it's not so bad a thing to take a few months off to get ready for spring.
    I find tinsel very distracting.

50F is my minimum...simply because I'm a wimp.

apriliaforum Member
    Cold weather is no issue for me with heated gloves and decent layers/Gore Tex. Most of the cold weather gear is stuff I've had laying around the house for years and I think I spent $50 on the heated glove inserts and I stay nice and warm down into the 20s F. I'm probably going to add a heated jacket liner soon and I'll be warm and comfy down into the teens. I ride in winter because it saves me at least 30 minutes on my commute (would have saved 1.5 hours yesterday) and I get double the fuel economy of my car ($40 week savings) . The problem is it's an absolute no-go in the snow and ice and that's what has been kicking my ass this week. If I had a tire that I felt comfortable with in with a dusting of snow in above freezing temperatures then I might push it a little more. Once it dries out I'll be back on the road again.

Quote Originally Posted by 2nd Childhood View Post
    If the roads are more or less dry, I'll ride, looking out for the usual "gotcha" spots, like overpasses and shaded corners. (Haven't broken down and bought heated gear yet, but ya never know what the future holds) Dunno the coldest weather I've ridden in, but I know it's been at least 25 if not lower. I purposely have my bike thermometer set to display the motor's temp and not the ambient temp. Afraid that might scare me off. Of course, I won't ride my Tuono much during the winter; too much torque and I'm not always too good at throttle modulation. That's what's great about my FZ6. The I-4 is very tame in the lower revs, but can still kick up its heals above 10k.
    doesn't seem to get too cold on a regular basis where you are, but there are a lot of shady spots.....
    hubris-that's the game with the blocks, right?

/ˌʌɪəˈtɒlə/

Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast